What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side STS recipe experiment

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the CBG Recipe. I got both GG#4 and Sour Dubb to drop pollen.. Already used both the pollen is viable...

Sour Dubb
picture.php

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
thanks man thats a real help i got frustrated using some bad recipes for this and wasted two attempts. i am going to go for it again .
thanks

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The problem with all of these recipes is none of the plants will drop pollen like a normal male plant. After numerous failed attempts waiting for the pollen to drop I figured out this will not happen at least not on any of the plants I tried these recipes on. What you need to do is wait for there to be alot of open male flowers or just about to open. Put something under the area you going to Pick them off just in case pollen falls off. After you have alot of these collected put them in a kief/ pollen box use the back end of the tweezers to get all the pollen to come off/out of the flowers. Shake them vigorously. When your done slide the bottom plate out and scrape up your gold. :D

If you have different rev males Cultivars you have to wash everything or you will have mixed pollen..I use a hair dryer to dry the kief screen.

Last edited:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What dates are people spraying the plants?
Anyone tried hitting the plant 2 weeks prior to flowering and then 2 weeks into the flowering period? I have a feeling the ethylene block may not be lasting long enough for the pollen to drop.
Good luck, peace.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not tried that. I cant find that procedure in any of the recipes I tried. Unless these different recipes are posted no one can find out witch works. When I spoke to Kaki he didn't do that either. His recipe is posted here. Most say to apply 1x at the beginning of 12/12 some do indicate 2 applications... CBG recipe says to apply at the beginning of 12/12 and then again 2 weeks later.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

just about to go down this road,l found the information very helpful. is there links to a breeder who go,s into detail? or i goes its pretty hush hush and took them a while to master ! PF been very helpful thanks for all your info

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kind of detail. its a very simple application. The STS chems can be bought from Amazon or ebay. This is no secret easy to find a few recipes using Google.

1. Sodium Thiosulfate 4 oz is 8$
2. Sliver Nitrate 25g 45$ but you can buy less even just 1G.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

yeah no got that sorted the ingredients , more for the reason sometimes you get pollen other times duds. is there a reason ? is it strain dependant or getting dosage perfect what ever, something missing in the process...... another breeder we all know was saying he doesn't mess with it anymore didn't have success due to certain things with his offspring being unreliable !

you yourself PF nutting it out been bit of a trial thing. just wondering wether we a missing something for sucess every time.PF mate i,m going to do exactly what you have done and recommend! you hit home last run

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many have got the other recipes to work. I just needed to find the tricks on my own. I'm sure If I had picked off the male flowers like I did this time I would have got pollen except for the recipe I did not dilute....Since this works I don't need to keep experimenting with dilution rates. If you start with genetics that have hermi traits and don't do anything you will be passing that on in the seed line. You would need to work the line to find a female that is worth reversing to min that.. I reversed these 2 because I never had any that went hermi on me. I have read reports of some getting naners in the Glue so this is a recessive trait that can pop up in this seed line. Anyone growing these should be aware this can happen. The same can be said for any seeds. If they have this recessive trait it can popup at anytime doesn't matter if there s1 or f1..

Good luck

Pragma

Thanks for posting your findings guys they will help a lot.
Just got the STS myself I will try the CGB recipe since PF seems to have had a lot of success with it.

Time for some stardawg crosses :D

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
An Early Dane female, hit every 5 days with 1:9 Stock:r/o solution. Stock solution is the first one in this thread with 500ml/each for A and B solutions. (Edit: Wetting agent was Dawn ultra-concentrated dishwashing liquid) Tween-80 is Polysorbate-80 which, according to all my personal observations, drop kicks my brain. Memory loss, focus issues, loss of mood control and logic... just little things with huge side effects on my life. lol YMMV

No burning, no issues, aside from being slightly overfed. ;) (ok, a lot overfed. lol)
Early-Dane-Spitting-Pollen-adjusted-640.png
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited:

handshake

An Early Dane female, hit every 5 days with 1:9 Stock:r/o solution. Stock solution is the first one in this thread with 500ml/each for A and B solutions.

Thanks for sharing. It was an older thread but mostly people spraying once weekly, and I've heard people using anywhere form daily to every 3–5 days.

Great looking ladyboy, you got there! :woohoo:

(Edit: Wetting agent was Dawn ultra-concentrated dishwashing liquid) Tween-80 is Polysorbate-80 which, according to all my personal observations, drop kicks my brain. Memory loss, focus issues, loss of mood control and logic... just little things with huge side effects on my life. lol YMMV

Can you clarify what you're saying about Tween-80/Polysorbate-80? Both of those terms are new to me.

beta

Veteran
What's the recipe ya'll settled on? Hammerhead says he liked the CBG recipe, but it isn't clear to me what he means by that.

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks for sharing. It was an older thread but mostly people spraying once weekly, and I've heard people using anywhere form daily to every 3–5 days.

Great looking ladyboy, you got there! :woohoo:

Can you clarify what you're saying about Tween-80/Polysorbate-80? Both of those terms are new to me.
Tween-80 is a commercial product of polysorbate-80. Polysorbate-80 binds with other chemicals well and tends to end up mostly in brain tissue. Personally, it causes mood swings and memory loss. Just putting a note of caution out there.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So i been tryna make some seeds again and last 2 rounds were unsuccessful, n got to thinkin, do these chemicals go bad? My trisodium phosphate is stuck together, silver still seem the same tho. They bout 5 years old tho, maybe i should buy new?

LostTribe

Premium user
aright so i did a side by side with two different recipes...
Recipe #1:

First, a stock solution of 1.0L is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, each into 500ml of water, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: 0.5 grams silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (part A, 500ml) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (part B, 500ml) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is silver thiosulfate solution (STS, 1000ml).

This stock(STS, 1000ml) solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.

Results
I sprayed 4 weeks ago then again 3 weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again. The second spraying was diluted 1:7 instead of 1:9
This plant never got the damaged look that the other recipe generated, it created less balls but bigger ones, and today I saw one fully opened, so I took it and moved it around on my hand, and sure enough, pollen! And a nice amount coming out too. I put some on the barely flowering blackberry kush and a few others, I put this plant up on a table with a fan behind it blowing toward the rest of the crop, so hopefully everything will get a nice amount of pollination going.

View Image

View Image

Recipe #2

Dissolve the 1.58g Sodium Thiosulfate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution
Dissolve the 1.7g Silver Nitrate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution. Store in the dark.
Prepare 0.02M (20mM) Silver Thiosulfate by adding 20 mL 0.1 M silver nitrate into 80 mL 0.1M sodium thiosulfate (or amounts in ration of 4 parts thiosulfate solution to 1 part silver nitrate solution). Store up to 30 days refrigerated (best to use fresh each time).

Results

I doubled this recipe so i would have enough to spray the whole plant, and sprayed 4 weeks ago then again three weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again.This recipe seemed to make the plant look pretty upset, yellowing and mangled looking leaves. The clusters have more balls but are smaller so far, and grow in the buds more then the other plant which grew them more so under the bud sights ... No pollen yet, but I don't think they have ripened yet either. Will keep y'all updated.

View Image

View Image

Notes: This experiment is taking place in a greenhouse during the winter with less than optimal lighting. My guess is that results may happen a little faster if given full 12/12 of direct light. For all applications I would completely spray the plant, wait for 1-2 hours, then completely spray it again, covering them as if to kill mites.

EDIT: Incase anyone is wondering, here is the mix that PF had success with after our numerous failures....

1g Silver mixed into 60ml RO
6G Sodium mixed into 240ml RO

Mix the 300ml into 600ml RO for a total of 900ml..

Spray at night in cool place 2x. The 2nd application is done 2 weeks after the 1st..

I have ditched all plants that where messed up from other try's.. I got 2 fresh plants 1 Glue and 1 sdubb. I just put the 1st application on using his recipe. I did not have any plants larger than 12" so that's what I used. I'm told this will not matter both plants will get 1-3x larger anyway while flowering...

So is this the recommended regimen:

Spray at night in cool place 2x. The 2nd application is done 2 weeks after the 1st..

Any other recommendations on what part of the plant to spray? Is the harvested plant still ok to smoke as I know the CS is not? Anyone have results?

Thanks A lot!
LT

Douglas.Curtis

So is this the recommended regimen:

Any other recommendations on what part of the plant to spray? Is the harvested plant still ok to smoke as I know the CS is not? Anyone have results?

Thanks A lot!
LT
Awesome! Thanks :D

I personally spray the flowers, no real concern over stems. I don't recommend smoking anything which has been reversed. :)