What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC Nanda Devi and Kumaoni

squatty

Beautiful looking. I've got a couple of packs and I was going to wait a bit before starting any. Maybe I should move these up the list and try them sooner.

meizzwang

Almost no "meat" on this Nanda Devi, but still one of my favorite plants overall...so far! This is the feral, "wildtype" pheno of Nanda Devi, which is likely the result of crossing with an uncultivated, "escaped" plant. The aroma is very similar to Kumaoni: spicy sweet. There are hints of citrus, but I'm going back and forth whether it's there or not, maybe it'll be more pronounced once the glandular trichomes reach maturity.

Resin-wise, it's GREASY! I think this plant will finish for sure before the end of October, and quite possibly in a little more than 10 days at this rate. Probably not the best choice for a commercial grow, as I think we'll get maybe 1 or 2 big rips total out of the entire plant, but definitely a beautiful and interesting specimen for the hobbyist:
48876970542_ee90aab1e1_c.jpg

48876970402_20fc462491_c.jpg

48876970227_e647e995aa_c.jpg

meizzwang

Nanda Devi may seem like BS, but it's gold in disguise! Despite the small yield, this plant is really, really greasy! The abundant glandular trichomes makes the inflorescence appear a bit white!

In terms of when this plant is done, I was completely wrong, this plant is still going as of today and still needs more time to finish. The plant was pollinated and all the seeds have already been collected: upon maturity, they fall out of the bract, so you have to harvest the seeds daily.

Here's some updated photos of Nanda Devi:
49030748602_6d4238a2d4_b.jpg

49030024213_78a46f0aa5_b.jpg

49030529626_106a63b769_b.jpg

49030024013_b004213b93_b.jpg

49030749072_977669a5f4_b.jpg

Last edited:

UFOpilot

I wonder if Nanda Devi seeds still can be obtained via the RealSeedCompany.
If so,I would order some.
I think they look very special!

meizzwang

Just beware, I've ordered 3 12 packs of Nanda Devi from RSC. First 12 pack had 3 seeds sprout, this was a few years ago.

This season, I purchased two 12 packs of nanda devi, and only 3 seeds total germinated! Got 2 males, and the one female pictured above. Others have inferred that it's grower error or some magical soil mix will help stimulate germination, but I believe the original source just didn't take good care of the seeds before RSC got them: you can't expect villagers in the Himalayas to be experts on proper seed preservation techniques. I've produced hundreds of nanda devi seeds and will know the truth very soon once I do a germination test.

That said, I've had 100% germination on their Malana, Kumaoni, Kerala, Lebanese, Balkhi, and Mazar I sharif.

thedudefresco

One mazar sharif plant produced large colas, the other numerous smaller ones. They look completely different.

One Mazar Pheno also drops the water leaves, its gonna be a no trimmer.

ngakpa

Veteran
the original source just didn't take good care of the seeds before RSC got them: you can't expect villagers in the Himalayas to be experts on proper seed preservation techniques.

first thing to note:

germination reports on the Nanda Devi range anywhere from 100% to 0%

it's like that every year

it's nothing to do with how well the farmer stores the seeds

they're dried properly and stored exactly how the large-seeded Kumaoni is that you got 100% on

note that people will uses these seeds to prepare snacks, condiments, and beverages

it's definitely to do with the genetics of the plants

I see there as likely being two main factors:

First is how feral genetics are present, as in the variant you are growing here, which is obviously well to the feral end of the spectrum

Second is how early the strain matures (also, it grows in a village which has a very warm microclimate) which means that seeds finish ripening during August, which is heavy monsoon

this strain gets harvested during breaks in the monsoon - once there have been a couple of days without rain, the farmer will go out to rub charas

(other strains get harvested from late September, after rains recede)

this means the Nanda Devi strain is likely to have evolved germination inhibitors to prevent seeds from germinating in the rains

plus, it seems likely that because mature seeds sit on the plant during the rains but don't germinate some die

either way, "the farmers don't know how to store seeds" idea is very definitely wrong

ngakpa

Veteran
I hope you will post the results here.

Will be interesting to see.

I suspect you will get a better % because of seeds not sitting through monsoon rain on the plant

but they will still be uneven and variable, because of the high level of ruderal genetics

but I may be wrong

one thing I am definitely right about is that it's nothing to do with farmers not storing the seeds properly, which is easily disproved by the high germination rate of the Johaar and Kumaoni, both from Kumaon like the Nanda Devi

Ponderosa

Himalayan Open Pollination

Himalayan Open Pollination

Kumaoni, Nepalese, Malana, and Johaar
picture.php

I had a good germination rate.

ngakpa

Veteran
Yes, you should get close to 100% with our landrace seeds

Only the ex-stock Kumaoni that were used as extra freebies could be less, as someone reported elsewhere

Keep a close eye on the Johaar, I have found hermies in quite a few. It's such a lovely plant though. I think I have a true female going right now that has some nice purple bracts early on.

Sadly I didnt dilute my soil enough and did some damage early on due to too high of nutrients, hope it pulls through.

Best of luck on your Himalayan varieties!!

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
Keep a close eye on the Johaar, I have found hermies in quite a few. It's such a lovely plant though. I think I have a true female going right now that has some nice purple bracts early on.

Sadly I didnt dilute my soil enough and did some damage early on due to too high of nutrients, hope it pulls through.

Best of luck on your Himalayan varieties!!

hi,

the excess nutrients are very likely the cause of the rogue male flowers you're seeing

i.e. stress due to overfeeding

it's not likely to be a trait specific to the Johaar, which is grown as a seeded crop

hope the plant pulls through

Latest posts

Latest posts