What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's RDWC Construction Tutorial For 250 Watts - 7,600 Watts!

Snype

Veteran
Remember if you intermix PVC with ABS to use the green Oatey ABS to PVC transition cement.

OR connect them via threads.

I bring this up because if you handle both materials prior to buying these parts, You will find you get a better fit on the threaded applications with ABS. PVC doesn't thread in as deep. It binds. (note: this may be because the PVC isn't NIBCO brand but the ABS is.)

Brands (NIBCO) will vary based upon location / region.

It is possible to use ABS instead of PVC prices are all relative.

THe only headaches you may find yourself with are the couplers and Ball valves.

I would run ABS from bucket to bucket and transition to PVC via screw/thread by way of return line / manifold.

Not certain about the Neoprene washers?
An appropriate size O-ring could be used for this application as well.

Nice Tutorial Snype.

[/I]
I don't use any ABS in these systems. I don't think O-rings would work with round buckets. I tried before and there were leaks. That's why I had these washers manufactured. I'm not the type to use 2 different materials unless I had to. This system has been tested by many people and there has never been a problem as long as you don't over tighten the washers.

Last edited:

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
^^^ LOL Snype that post was meant for those reading this tutorial who may not know.
Sorry man.
Specific brands and materials vary by location and region and all may not be available.
Hence my post.
Again, Nice thread.
:tiphat:
TR

Pnice

So the 'parts list' is what you need to build 1 row? And 1 row = 12 plants + the epicenter bucket like the pics on the first page?

Pnice

Is there any issues with using orange home depot buckets vs grey Lowe's buckets besides those 2 lines on the bottom of the buckets that you mention? How about light and roots?

Snype

Veteran
So the 'parts list' is what you need to build 1 row? And 1 row = 12 plants + the epicenter bucket like the pics on the first page?

There is no system with a 12 plant row. The maximum plants that you can put in a row is 6. A 12 plant system is for 2,000 watts in lighting. Are you sure that you are looking at the pictures that I posted? Please look at the pictures.

Is there any issues with using orange home depot buckets vs grey Lowe's buckets besides those 2 lines on the bottom of the buckets that you mention? How about light and roots?
Yes you can't use the orange buckets because they are see through. Your plants will have problems if you use Home Depot buckets. The Lowes buckets have changed color from grey to blue. There is a reason why I use Lowes buckets. I've tried other buckets like the black ones from grow shops. Those buckets are not made the same as the Lowes ones and can have minor leaks. The company that makes the Lowes buckets is a better company to buy buckets from.

Snype

Veteran
Hello fellow IC heads! If you look at the poll that I made a few days ago, you will see that there were more than 50 responses. That means that there is not enough washers to go around. There are another 5,000 washers coming in from Canada in 2 weeks but it may get delayed in customs like my last ones did. Each bucket in the RDWC system will need 4 washers. Remember to include the controller/epicenter bucket in your equation.
4 plant systems will need 20 washers.
6 plant systems will need 28 washers.
12 plant systems will need 52 washers.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
There comming in from canada? Is there a place in canada i can order 52 washers ?
They are being manufactured in Canada. A minimum order for manufacturing at this plant is 2,500 washers so they would not do 52 washers.

Pnice

There is no system with a 12 plant row. The maximum plants that you can put in a row is 6. A 12 plant system is for 2,000 watts in lighting. Are you sure that you are looking at the pictures that I posted? Please look at the pictures.

My bad snype got a little confused. Do you have a parts list handy for the 12 plant system for 2,000 watts? I'm trying to build (3) of the 12 sites for a total of 36. Big thanks btw for ordering those washers, I'm sure it was a pain in the ass at some point. And 10-4 on the Lowe's buckets vs home Depot.

Snype

Veteran
My bad snype got a little confused. Do you have a parts list handy for the 12 plant system for 2,000 watts? I'm trying to build (3) of the 12 sites for a total of 36. Big thanks btw for ordering those washers, I'm sure it was a pain in the ass at some point. And 10-4 on the Lowe's buckets vs home Depot.

I will have your part list for you in 3 hours. You should really order those 160 washers ASAP.

Pnice

^^^^ Just talked to them and I have my 160 reserved. I'm just waiting for a call back once they figure out the shipping details. They said call them tomorrow morning if I don't hear from them today(busy day). Your the man Snype!

Snype

Veteran
^^^^ Just talked to them and I have my 160 reserved. I'm just waiting for a call back once they figure out the shipping details. They said call them tomorrow morning if I don't hear from them today(busy day). Your the man Snype!

Word!!!

Part List For (3) 12 Plant System:
(The order correspond with the pictures in the part list above)

A. (78) 1.5" Female Adapter PVC Fitting (Carlon) Available at Home Depot and Lowes or www.codale.com for cheaper.

B. (72) 1.5" Female PVC Trap Adapter (Nibco) Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

C. (6) 1.5" Male PVC Trap Adapter (Nibco) Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

D. (156) Neoprene Washer. Part #420. Available at Rootdown Hydroponics.

E. (12) 1.5" Female 90 Degree PVC Elbow - (Pressure applications) (Mueller) Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

F. (3) 1.5” PVC T - (Female) - (Pressure applications) (Mueller) Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

G. (3) 1.5" to 1" Bushing - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

H. (3) 1" Ball Valve Shut Off - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

I. (3) 1" PVC Union - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

J. (3) 1" to 3/4" Bushing. Threaded - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

K. (3) 3/4" Y Stainless Steel Filter with Flush. Part #F063. Available at DripIrrigation.com.

L. (36 Feet) 1.5" PVC Pipe

M. (3) 3/4" - S x FTP - Female Adapter - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

N. (3) 3/4" x 1/2" Flush Bushing - SPIG X RSoc - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

O. (6) 1/2" Ball Valve Shut Off - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

P. (6) 1/2" PVC Union - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Q. (3) 1/2" PVC Adapter - S x MPT - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

R. (3) 1/2" PVC Adapter - S x FPT - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

S. (6) 1/2" 90 Degree - Slip - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

T. (3) 1/2" PVC T - S x S x FPT - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

U. (3) 1/2" Brass Boiler Drain - Available at Home Depot.

V. (30 feet) 1/2" PVC Pipe - Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

W. (4 feet) 1" PVC Pipe - Picture not included. Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

X. (3) Lowes 5 Gallon Bucket Lid - Picture not included. Available at Lowes.

Y. (39) 5 Gallon Lowes Buckets. Available at Lowes.

Z. (3) Danner Supreme Classic Model 7 Water (700 G/Hr). Available at MarineDepot.com.

A2. (3) Alita AL-80 - Available at AquaCave.com.

B2. (1) Milwaukee 1-7/8" (48mm) drill bit. Available at Home Depot.

C2. (2) Oatey 8 ounce PVC Clear Cleaner - Available at Home Depot.

D2 (2) Oatey 8 ounce Heavy Duty PVC Clear Cement - Available at Home Depot.

E2 (3) Hydrofarm Active Aqua, Air Divider, 12 Outlet.

F2 (36) Elemental O2 Cylinder Stone, 4" - Available at www.wormsway.com

G2 (180 feet) Black Tubing for connecting air stones to air manifold.

H2 (1) Teflon Tape - Available at Home Depot.

I2 (36) 6" Bucket Lids - Available at WormsWay.com

Pnice, In a few months, you are going to be ballin'!

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
What's up IC Family! Here's a few pics of a built 4 Plant RDWC System for a 250 Watt or a 400 Watt Light! This cost less than $250.00 and includes your Air Pump and Water Pump! Welcome to the future!!!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
If anyone doesn't know why I use Unions in my systems I will explain. The union is a way to take certain pieces apart for easy access. For example, if you look at the picture below, you will see the union at the top left of the pipe. You can simply turn off the Inline Water Pump and unscrew the union very fast and easily, then you have easy access to taking off the lid in your controller/epicenter. There are other Unions in the system for easy access to certain features that I have included. If you don't understand, please let me know. Here is the picture:
picture.php

Snype

Veteran
Just an FYI: the supreme danner mag drive 3 pumps are only 59.99 plus shipping from
Marinedepot.com

Yup! Here are links to the 3 Inline Water Pumps:

This pump is for the 4 plant system:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_M...ps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBUF-DN1121-vi.html

This pump is for the 6 plant system:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_M...ps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBFT-DN1123-vi.html

This pump is for the 12 plant system:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_M...ps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBFT-DN1125-vi.html

Last edited: