What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool Trees

W

willyweed

ok ,so you are saying ,plants can not be grown in rockwool insulation? or that you have never tried?

W

willyweed

what i am saying is, i grow plants in mediums designed for horticultural use and not insulation, designed to insulate a house...even if they are both made of rockwool, there is a difference

so yes, i have never tried it, and if you end up doing so i honestly wouldnt use this thread as a reference point as they are two different things and will behave as such
ok thanks for your advice ,i have been in rockwool for about 18 months give or take,and find it a great medium also.i have read it can be done,but there was no need for me to try it out ,so i never.goodluck willyweed

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude, rockwool insulation is coated in a waterproof oil. do not use it,

med-man

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so does all bulk horticultural rockwool need to be soaked at 3.0 for 48 hours? it just seems like some of it would be a bit more ready to use lol.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Lol!!! Thanks for clearing that up guys!!

I may just have to do a side by side with coco .....

Going to have to give this thread a reread. :tiphat:

One thing I like about the rockwool at least in my mind is it should be bug free when you get it. One less thing to worry about.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
sshhh - thank you

lednewbie and willie - lol no, just to clarify this is not wall or roof insulation..its a real growing medium consisting of unpressed rockwool...it does appear to look like insulation but that doesnt mean you can stuff pots full of that pink shit and go to town :) here is a link to a place that sells them, tons of online suppliers, shipping is a pretty penny though

http://www.amazon.com/Grodan-RWXA20-Granulate-Water-Absorbent/dp/B005AXY8P0

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Grodan Water Absorbent Granules consist of premium horticultural stonewool with a reputation for quality and performance. Particularly practical in hanging baskets, gardeners can use Water Absorbent Granules as a stand alone medium or as an amendment to their favorite potting mix to improve the overall water holding capacity. Water Absorbent Granules are available in a large 45-pound bag.

s2b - thanks bro! youll never go back to roots again, ill bet you a russian call girl :)

med - just to clarify , the black haze did 33+ ounces out of a 7 gallon pot with it not even full all the way (more like 6 gallons) and with just a 45 day veg...id like to see some coco do that :)

Hey bud. Thanks for the link. Do you know how many 3 gallon pots that bag of rockwool would fill?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
damn it man! i had all decided on coco trees trained around a vert donut scrog but i like RW and have used it in the past as well and this looks bad ass. i only need to buy the 3/4" tubing and some sort of dripper rings or make my own. i have a big pump that should be plenty strong.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
I was just going to ask if you've ever tried drip clean to counter act salt buildup...

So do you try and maintain that 60-70% humidity even during lights on? If so what are u using to hero humidity up? Thanks.

catalyte

Veteran
awesome thread.

Amazing grows are possible with rockwool. Best Medium hands down in all ways for canna.

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
Great thread, Don!

I've always been interested in the RW cubes, but the flock sounds even better. Thanks for the prep info too! Awesome detail.

Room look great too!

Latest posts

Latest posts