What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on

catalyte

Veteran
the more i review defoliating im realizing i'm ONLY for taking of fan a good bit after strecth about 4th week or 5th week depending on the strain... week 2 or 3 is just instinctively too early for me... and in veg it really seems counter intuitive in my opinion....

Jbonez

Veteran
i am thinking while some growers tend to strip plant down in veg Defoilate ???
which slows growth why not just grow and train a plant crop / fim etc flip to flower and 2 - 3 weeks in or so flip back to veg yes it will slow things down as it goes back into veg but look out when she is in full veg state
anyways its what i have done looking forward to posting pics on what my girls will look like in next couple of weeks :)

There is a huge difference doc, But you are pretty much running the most dialed scrog ive personally seen and your game is tight bro, I can see your bias.. Im not honestly sure without trying if you would benefit, but ya never know bro!

groovee

thats a very nice word. thanks for adding to the vocabulary.
physiologically people and plants are very different.

my mentor is a very decorated fighter. when he explained things to me, he explained it in terms he could and i could relate to & understand.... so thats how i share... how I was taught and how I remember.

seems like you got the gist of what I was saying. which was why i posted it.

for those that dont understand the basic premise of what I was talking about with the swords and severed arms LOL.... sorry.
when you cut your leaf off with a blade you are left with x amount of surface space of exposed open tissue.
when you pinch with your fingertips youre closing the wound off from infection.

i like to sprinkle some pepper with my salt.
just don't try to pick the fly shit out of the pepper.
Hey now grey, Glad to see your still at it!
This is Jrosek from many moons ago, I use this handle now and again to stay in touch with peeps.
I stopped trying to help people with this procedure long ago.. Most just dont get it, in reality it takes a long time to get this system to work properly with a strain, most people just want to strip em and get paid! thats not how it works.
Anyways bro, holler some time, nice to catch up!

the gnome

Veteran
This is Jrosek from many moons ago,
I stopped trying to help people with this procedure long ago.. Most just dont get it, in reality it takes a long time to get this system to work properly with a strain, most people just want to strip em and get paid!

thats not how it works.

exactly!
ty groovee
:smoke:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
the more i review defoliating im realizing i'm ONLY for taking of fan a good bit after strecth about 4th week or 5th week depending on the strain... week 2 or 3 is just instinctively too early for me... and in veg it really seems counter intuitive in my opinion....

I some times strip fans in veg to get a stretchy plant to bush out some. If you take the top leaves it causes the top to stretch less and the bottom to fill in.

Most of the time I do this same thing by moving the lights position instead. I get the bushing out effect by dropping the bulb below the top of the plant. If I can't do that I trim fans.

I tend to agree with the 2-3 weeks trimming is to early. I do take some during this time to get the plant use to losing leaves. 10 leaves every other day on a large plant is the max that I generally do. The leaves I try to take are already shaded so they are not producing much anyway.

I shoot for 28 days when I start to remove them, and it takes one and a half to two weeks to do it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Your fingers harbor far more bacteria than a clean blade's surface, just saying. I do both pinching and slicing, it depends if I have scissors handy. I notice more infection in the pinched wounds although healthy plants shouldn't even notice a wound and close off both fairly quickly. Big fan leaves I just bend downwards sharply and they come/break/shear off cleanly at their base. My 2c at this point in the conversation :)

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
i am thinking while some growers tend to strip plant down in veg Defoilate ???
which slows growth why not just grow and train a plant crop / fim etc flip to flower and 2 - 3 weeks in or so flip back to veg yes it will slow things down as it goes back into veg but look out when she is in full veg state
anyways its what i have done looking forward to posting pics on what my girls will look like in next couple of weeks :)

it sounds like a lot of wasted time to me, i know of supercropping results, BUT its also known that plants that flower, then reveg, dont achieve their 100% potential, yield will suffer! ask some outdoor growers...

dddaver

Veteran
it sounds like a lot of wasted time to me, i know of supercropping results, BUT its also known that plants that flower, then reveg, dont achieve their 100% potential, yield will suffer! ask some outdoor growers...

I was thinking nearly the same thing, but more like if this were looked at say over a 3 year time frame and compared the results runs doing that compared that to the results over the same time frame of not doing that, I'm thinking that it would prove out to be a huge waste of time both yield wise but also resulting in more popcorn bud by doing that, so quality wise too. Direct comparison and side by side long term study would be needed to prove reverting to veg after trimming would be of any real benefit.

DrFever

Veteran

Why would you say that ???? i can;t find the picture of a plant showing a plant reverted back to veg it was amazing branch and bud sites
i am sure some experienced growers will chime in here also mentioning how they harvested there plants and placed plants back in veg state yes it takes a while but this will create what you are looking for , many people here are forgetting that taking / or stripping fan leafs off a plant will also put growth at a crawl
Bottom line to me it really don;t matter how or what you do to your plants as long as your happy , now you may create millions of bud sites and that is all what they are Bud sites but if you don;t have good internoding there all only going to be small buds with no weight at the end
i beleive most growers goals are to create uniformed buds all being nice sized which at the end of the day will give you quality and yield

When a person buys weed what are they really looking for ????
looks , smell, and size of buds so that is what we need to strive for not monster buds but nice sized buds
You mention Ask a outdoor grower ???? what is there to ask we plant are 8 - 12 " plants in mid to end of may and let them go till harvest ???? it has nothing to do with re vegging a plant ???
my 2012 outdoor 1200 plant 200 pounds was stellar
but again not to many out door growers will dish out 20,000 + to make it happen but that is chance you take i guess living on the edge lol
Cheers Doc

Last edited:

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
I want to share my 2 cents after some time in the Sierra Nevadas here.

I've seen a couple gardens that were moved outside well before veg light period and thusly began to flower prematurely.

All of those gardens that i saw experience this problem put out lower quantity of lower quality product than of previous years without the reveg issue. It was clear to me that the month spent changing back and then forth in the plants life stunted their respective potential.

already supercropped girls that i've flowered have definitely had more sites, albeit smaller ones.

I think back to spending the days in the field, and which girls take the least time to deal with.. A plant with say a dozen or two towering colas comes down gets trimmed and is finished lickity split, where as the same weight on a little bud studded plant will take several fold longer to process. This definitely influences training decisions for me, as well as selected genetics and amounts of which to run.

Last edited:

Docteur

Jorge cervantes , and Robert Connell Clarke have talked about de-leafing guess what they say ?

i tried de-leafing it didn't work for me, nice to hear it worked for you, i only pull them off when they die but hey what do i know i'm just a beginner

where are the pictures of the leaves on plant ??

the thread is called Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on for something isn't it ?

Don't get mad bro i just ask questions to learn !

Congrats on the 2 pound / 600w keep on growing you got it going ON !

Zoolander

I do every crop this way and it makes a huge difference but it's all about timing and not taking to much off at once.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
After reading through this thread I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I took after all my girls and trimmed substantial fans, but only moderately so. Probably hit them again in two days or so. Definitely past the stretch @ 43 days. :yes:

vapedg13

Veteran
I do trim my fan leaves off with some strains when im about 4-5 weeks into flower... then keep trimming them once a week until harvest so i will end up with bud on a stick

twisted og before the trim

001-76.jpg

..................the trim

003-49.jpg

after the first trim....buds can see the light of day :)

009-10.jpg

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
It is important to train your plants and one way this is achieved is through taking leaves off. It is just a matter of doing what each situation requires. Most fan leaf taking happens during the veg explosion when the plant just grows more quickly. And is always done in a balance leaving enough of the major sugar factories ( fan leaves) behind to drive growth. Sometimes you just have to clean leaves out when shes flowering because lower stuff in in the dark, it is just a matter of the situation.

For example: if a plant is climbing above her sisters stretching and shading them and her lower growth, I'd take her fans from top node letting light penetrate underneath to lower nodes and branches and to the sisters adjacent. This releases stress hormone at the site and the growth slows there for a day, with increased light getting down the rest starts to catch up and the plant fills. the the same time on lower growth and adjacent plants I'd remove two or three of the most outer and higher fan leaves as a matter of physics as they are pulling those branches down the most and inner leave stopping free airflow and inner light penetration. This loss of weight makes them all reach up instead of hang and with the added light now coming down on to their leaves left behind the girls all explode out together and fill the entire space homogeneously.

This is all some systematically and thoroughly and all inner growth and nodes in deep shade are also removed so the plant can focus all its energy into the outer tips which are all growing into the light with the least competition. You dont want the plant 'subsidising' larf growth at the expense of explosion in the light how you want it, evenly. You make it all up at the end when all is picked. Pests also love dark humid places to hide in and all this training and growth removal makes for bigger, happier and healthier plants with proportionate yields when done correctly.

OLDproLg

Veteran
DANG?

A plant like the last pic definately needs defoliating...
What a cabbadge plant?
Looks good after though!

Jbonez

Veteran
Jorge cervantes , and Robert Connell Clarke have talked about de-leafing guess what they say ?

i tried de-leafing it didn't work for me, nice to hear it worked for you, i only pull them off when they die but hey what do i know i'm just a beginner

where are the pictures of the leaves on plant ??

the thread is called Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on for something isn't it ?

Don't get mad bro i just ask questions to learn !

Congrats on the 2 pound / 600w keep on growing you got it going ON !

Learning is accepting you know nothing.... Nothing is a void... The second you presume to know, you take away space for the truth to reside, and with multiple truths, what exactly do you know? make sense?

I find the bold incomprehensible, please clarify.

I will be harvesting that plant in 2 weeks, If youd like, I have a few other d cuts in bloom and I will document the pile of leaves I take after they stretch, as well as a multitude of other strains with the exact same treatment..

As Im told, Jorge Cervantes is wonderful man, but Id refute that his knowledge of cultivation is "modern" so to speak, Ive found a lot of inconsistencies in his books, so take what you hear with a grain of salt, no one "knows" anything, not even myself....

usda101

The things you use are the things you learn after you think u know it all . Always learning nothings written in stone .