What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Kindness bho recovery unit

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks RB! Good idea on the inlet gauge to test for pressure decay!

I hear you on gauge quality. I currently just ignore the Appion gauges and use one on the lower pot. In fact, I usually just open both valves on the pump full open and leave them there. I simply switch the pump on and off, while using the inlet valve on the pot for throttling.

PS: Only one shim under either of my cylinders.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
they sell a rebuild kit for my promax that is pretty cheap, so far I only used the parts that went to the Orings on the valves and havent had to break into the cylinder. Since those pumps, in their normal use, are always bathed by refrigerant oils, I wonder if it would be helpful and or acceptable to put a bit of some type of "safe" oil into the system now and then.

You could run a small amount of mineral oil through the pump now and then, and if you had a molecular sieve/ filter dryer between the pump and the storage tank, basically none would get into your butane storage.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they sell a rebuild kit for my promax that is pretty cheap, so far I only used the parts that went to the Orings on the valves and havent had to break into the cylinder. Since those pumps, in their normal use, are always bathed by refrigerant oils, I wonder if it would be helpful and or acceptable to put a bit of some type of "safe" oil into the system now and then.

You could run a small amount of mineral oil through the pump now and then, and if you had a molecular sieve/ filter dryer between the pump and the storage tank, basically none would get into your butane storage.

Worth a try! I currently have a filter dryer on the inlet, but nothing on the outlet.

Alas the mineral oil would not work in our set up, it would contaminate the butane and the bho effectively afterwards. We just did another run, of basically crap buds from an early harvested plant and some random trim.

With the new adjustments made to the vacuum pump we are losing less butane per run. Of course when we had to repair the unit, we had to vent the butane to atmosphere and fill it again with fresh vector butane, which I CAN get for 6.50 a can, but still, when you're running through as much material as I do, buying cases and cases of butane is cost prohibitive.

Here are new pictures of the oil from the last run and my HMK vapor swing in a bong, I think he wanted me to post a picture of the piece to make me another one with a different angle? I am a horrible photographer, and I need a better camera. But pictures is pictures, and I know we ALL LOVE PICTURES!

The next run we do will be from a breeding project, of the other phenotype of the skishkaberry x ak-47 f3 pheno 2, which will be interesting to compare it to the shishkaberry x ak-47 f3 pheno 1 oil we made also from a seeded plant/breeding project. As I recall that oil to be espresso colored and very runny. The 2nd phenotype had a much different bud structure, and the other one, which we thought was heavily seeded only had 3 seeds in the entire plant, where phenotype 2 had plenty of seeds. Sorry rambling a little into breeding projects, but people do wonder, different phenos different oil?

Attachments

• oil 001.jpg
    oil 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 21
  • oil 002.jpg
    oil 002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 16
  • oil 003.jpg
    oil 003.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are new pictures of the oil from the last run and my HMK vapor swing in a bong, I think he wanted me to post a picture of the piece to make me another one with a different angle? I am a horrible photographer, and I need a better camera. But pictures is pictures, and I know we ALL LOVE PICTURES!

Nice color! Hee, hee, hee, isn't this fun?

Neptune

would love to learn this tek, though I have thought about using lab grade ethanol instead of butane. Easier to come by for me, and cheap.
same process I think.

Duckmang

{Bows to audience}

Thanks GW, that was a pretty run. The following run was a mish mash of various old trims and old lower grade stuff. It came out coffee colored. Dk used all of it in her edibles.

Neptune, this is a difficult tech to teach. Each run is slightly different. While the process is basicly the same every time, there is a fair bit of reacting to the circumstances as they happen. To effectively run the machine you have to understand what each part is, what it does, how it does it, and what to do if something goes wrong. In the absence of a sight glass one also has to understand and conceptualize what the butane solvent is doing at any given stage of the process and control it based on the feedback of high side and low side pressures. Even DK struggles with this and has yet to perform an extraction solo. It doesn't help that I'm not a good teacher.

AFAIK, there is no equivalent extractor on the market. While the Tasmium is similar, their need for a carrier solvent puts it in a different class. Judging by the emails they sent DK, they're not happy about being outclassed by amateurs.:wave: She rarely misses an opportunity to talk smack either. She is the consummate oil snob and as such rarely tolerates less than perfection for her meds.

QTS

{Bows to audience}

Thanks GW, that was a pretty run. The following run was a mish mash of various old trims and old lower grade stuff. It came out coffee colored. Dk used all of it in her edibles.

Neptune, this is a difficult tech to teach. Each run is slightly different. While the process is basicly the same every time, there is a fair bit of reacting to the circumstances as they happen. To effectively run the machine you have to understand what each part is, what it does, how it does it, and what to do if something goes wrong. In the absence of a sight glass one also has to understand and conceptualize what the butane solvent is doing at any given stage of the process and control it based on the feedback of high side and low side pressures. Even DK struggles with this and has yet to perform an extraction solo. It doesn't help that I'm not a good teacher.

AFAIK, there is no equivalent extractor on the market. While the Tasmium is similar, their need for a carrier solvent puts it in a different class. Judging by the emails they sent DK, they're not happy about being outclassed by amateurs.:wave: She rarely misses an opportunity to talk smack either. She is the consummate oil snob and as such rarely tolerates less than perfection for her meds.

Using a carrier solvent is not necessary when operating a Tamisium, I've run mine multiple times without.

I was at the high times cannabis cup this past week. There is another extractor on the market using butane and propane as a solvent. There are only getting 13-18% yields on 2 lb runs of plant matter (good plant matter) the cost of the extraction u nit, only $19,000. Not kidding. So half the yield I get, and it costs almost 20 grand?

Someone who has been reading this thread met me at the high times cannabis cup in Denver this week. The assoc editor for high times stalked me all weekend raving about my oil made from strains we breed and the extractor we made by hand. He said he knew who won the edibles and concentrates contests, then gave me a very stern look and said "Now I know how SHOULD have won, if only you had entered" after smoking 3 different types of oil on hashmaster-kut's vapor swing he made for me over a year ago, which just broke today and I'm heartbroken.

Richard Cusick chased me down the entire weekend, marveling at the quality and cleanliness of our oil from our machine. I'm sure the tall young guy that created zong bongs became quite tired of hearing about this great girl with this amazing oil and these out of the world candies. Richard said he has had hash and concentrates from everywhere around the world and united states, and our oil was the best he'd ever tasted or had, and my hard candies potent and tasty. I suppose I impressed him enough, he offered me a job, possibly my own section. Serendipity has been more than fortuitous to me this weekend. I also have a bunch of investors wanting to help with getting out extractor manufactured on a more marketable scale, and also investors and designers for my women's high end hemp clothing line.

With validation like I got over the hard work put in over the years and those that said hey, you guys are just amateurs and not going to amount to much... start looking for me in high times starting in 6 months and also a documentary about the top women in cannabis today, which I was told I would be featured in. So I guess we must be doing a lot of things right to garner the attention that I wasn't seeking. I was doing my usual thing, smoking out ppl on dabs of erl to all I crossed paths with and to hand out medicated candies to share the love. It was happenstance that I was at the indie vape area and accidentally offered to smoke out 2 strangers not knowing whom they were )richard and the guy who makes zong) because the ppl at the indie vape station were ignoring the 3 of us, so I broke out my stuff and smoked them and myself out, only to have them become enamored with our oil and candies. I ran into a fellow icmager at the good chemistry booth, where again I was smoking out ppl and giving out candies. If only I hadn't had my hair up in an uptight librarian's bun maybe I'd have looked cuter lol.

So keep reaching for your dreams, try nmew things, and be kind to strangers, because you never know who they might be and how much they are about to change your life and make your dreams come true. I'm still pinching myself to make sure it wasn't just a very vivid daydream, but I'm holding hi s private number in my hand and was told to call him to start brainstorming on a new marketing campaign, first to release the seed line, then the extractor or hemp clothing line. I'm insanely busy. Anyone in the Denver area want to be my new intern?

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Damn, now I'm really bummed I didn't go to Denver last weekend. I would have loved to try the product from your unit.

Sorry about your hmk, I'm sure he'll leapfrog you up on the list if you tell him yours broke.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
hey man, here is a tip for ya

take an xacto knife
57445-1101-2-2ww-m.jpg

unscrew the part that holds the blade, and remove the blade. Then take the blades you use,and put the small nub in the middle of the top of the blade into the xacto knife. works well

hey man, here is a tip for ya

take an xacto knife
View Image

unscrew the part that holds the blade, and remove the blade. Then take the blades you use,and put the small nub in the middle of the top of the blade into the xacto knife. works well

Thanks for the Pro Tip!!!!
Along with the sculpting tools you recommended in GW's thread detailing how to build an Active Recovery Butane Extraction System, you have given me a few more tools in my scraping arsenal...