What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippine Kalinga

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hola smoke tayo! :smile:

I decided to save your filipine seeds for next season, im germinating lot of old seeds right now, im going to be very busy next months but yours will be reproduced next year, hopefully with more time and space.

I hope everything is fine there too! dubi

B

bonecarver_OG

its gonna be fun to see how they go :D itd be aweso0me if they produce nicelly here in south spain hehe :D

keep up the good work mates :D

peace!

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what generation are these seeds in now? p-3? when will the next batch of seeds be rdy?

thanks,
john

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
rizraz said:
So what generation are these seeds in now? p-3? when will the next batch of seeds be rdy?

thanks,
john

I gave to Peter P2 kalinga generation, hermie parental plants were avoided (stressing males and females), the best non hermie females were open pollinated by all non hermie males.

Peter grew P2 generation and experienced lower hermie rates, he open pollinated P2 kalinga non hermie females and males again to produce P3 generation llamabox is growing right now.

Kalinga sativa has good breeding potential but i believe the strain still needs strong selection (especially for potency and for the floral jasmine desired terpenes).

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So is lamabox breeding out the p4s? Hows the grow going lama?

Thanks,
John

P.S. Love this thread great stuff.

scaramanga

The Kalinga sounds like a very interesting strain. Dubi does Ace ever plan on offering these as perhaps a "breeders" line for those wishing to experience some relatively unworked landrace sativas? Some of your other landrace genetics would also be successful in this respect, i believe.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
scaramanga said:
The Kalinga sounds like a very interesting strain. Dubi does Ace ever plan on offering these as perhaps a "breeders" line for those wishing to experience some relatively unworked landrace sativas? Some of your other landrace genetics would also be successful in this respect, i believe.

Good day scaramanga,

We indeed have distributed (more or less comemrcially) some of our parental lines. A few P2 Kalinga packs were sold 1-2 years ago, we have been distributing other inbred-landrace lines like oldtimer's haze, pure nepalese, pure mexican michoacan verde limon, pure chinese yunnan .... soon guatemala sativa too.

scaramanga

That's very good to hear Dubi. I wasn't aware that ace had distributed these varieties commercially. I must have missed them somehow. Where do you normally list them when they are for sale, and when do you plan to release some more?

The Michoacan verde limon sounds delicious. I have always had a great affinity for landrace genetics. It's always good to have something other than the same tired old genetics from Amsterdam.

Tengo un amigo en Costa Rica. Cual de sus variedades me podria recomendar? Quiero enviarle un regalo. Tiene una finca y le sobra el espacio. Muchisimas Gracias.

Train 2 Bangkok

What a great thread! I will be on Luzon in July for a few weeks and have a weekend to Sagada planned. I've been trying to figure out for a while about the strains growing there and if they are indeed pure native landraces. I get two common responses - both contradicting each other.

One claims there are indeed native sativa plants there and that the native tribe (I forget their name, the ones with the hanging coffins) has been using cannabis for centuries in religious rituals. Certainly the geography would suggest a native sativa race similar to the highland varieties of southeast asia could have evolved there.

The other common story I hear is that American servicemen brought the seeds there in the 60s during the Vietnam war and gave them to the local farmers to grow. There was a recreation/retreat camp somewhere around Sagada that was popular with soldiers on leave. They would probably have brought seeds obtained from either southeast asia in the war, or brought them from bag seed obtained in the states, most likely Mexican, Central American, or Columbian sativa.

Who knows? Maybe both stories are true and that explains the variety of strains mentioned in the thread. Either way, I'm glad there are people trying to work and preserve these lines. If my trip in July is a success, I'll be working some Philippine genetics too!

Asiatica

Breeding Q

Breeding Q

Hello Dubi
Very nice thread on the often overlooked PI landraces.
I have small breeding question for you....

Why dont you keep the females that take longer to flower while the sisters are flowering correctly?
What is your purpose in culling the late flowering females?
Im in the middle of new selections and im trying to learn some new tricks.
I too have females that have a different timetable than the sisters.
Some take over a month before start formation.
Should I cull them?

I hope you dont mind the question, I know you do SOLID work brother so no negative vibes. Just want to learn.
By the way, INCREDIBLE BREEDING!!!!
Breeding is a true art and looking at the Kalingas, you doin some good shit.
Glad to see you at full power with your work.
Keep it up for the future of the species.
Peace and positive vibes.
:joint:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
That's very good to hear Dubi. I wasn't aware that ace had distributed these varieties commercially. I must have missed them somehow. Where do you normally list them when they are for sale, and when do you plan to release some more?

The Michoacan verde limon sounds delicious. I have always had a great affinity for landrace genetics. It's always good to have something other than the same tired old genetics from Amsterdam.

Tengo un amigo en Costa Rica. Cual de sus variedades me podria recomendar? Quiero enviarle un regalo. Tiene una finca y le sobra el espacio. Muchisimas Gracias.

Good day scaramanga,

Sorry i think i missed this old post.

All the new hybrid offerings, landraces and inbred lines available are listed in our website. If they are not listed in our website then they are out of stock or still in testing phase.

I'd recommend your friend in Costa Rica to try very tropical genes like oldtimer's haze or its crosses, or even a thai cross. Costa Rica is placed in a very tropical latitude, growing ind/sat hybrids there is looking for ridiculous small and moldy harvest. On the other hand the long flowering sats reach a decent size and mature threre perfectly. I wish we could work all year with our sativas in a place like this.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello Dubi
Very nice thread on the often overlooked PI landraces.
I have small breeding question for you....

Why dont you keep the females that take longer to flower while the sisters are flowering correctly?
What is your purpose in culling the late flowering females?
Im in the middle of new selections and im trying to learn some new tricks.
I too have females that have a different timetable than the sisters.
Some take over a month before start formation.
Should I cull them?

I hope you dont mind the question, I know you do SOLID work brother so no negative vibes. Just want to learn.
By the way, INCREDIBLE BREEDING!!!!
Breeding is a true art and looking at the Kalingas, you doin some good shit.
Glad to see you at full power with your work.
Keep it up for the future of the species.
Peace and positive vibes.
:joint:

Thanks for your warm words Asiatica, it's very apreciated :smile:

I avoided 2 original kalinga females as they refused to flower outdoors in my zone, even with low winter photoperiod like 10 light/14 darkness didnt work for them, they later revegged at spring time but didnt produce any desirable flowers. I usually dont like to avoid any long or short expression but desitable parental plants should show at least some interesting traits and a minium of adaptability. The other kalinga females were quite more interesting so selection was easy.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looking forward to growing some of those P2 gens outdoors this year!!

Viva Kalinga:joint:

Thanks Dubi & ACE!!

Go for it De La Luz friend :smile: I should germinate a new Kalinga generation to make a new selection and fresh stock this season, there are other interesting filipo sativas waiting their turn, hopefuly they wont become too old before we have the chance to work with them.

De La Luz

Hola Dubi,
Yeah, I'm gonna go for them this season for the same reason ( don't want them to get too old before I try to germinate). I'm sure there will be some very interesting individuals to be found in there!

Asiatica

Thank you for the reply.
I remember that I have had the same type of plant that refuses to flower.
I understand much better now.
Much respect and thanks for the information.

Peace and positive vibes.:joint:

tsongkee

hi dubi,

its me chongkee. Man..those Kalingas you grew definitely look top notch. Great stuff man! A true maestro... i havent been active in the forums and somewhat slowed down in my growing since i lost all my genetics a couple of years back. Anyway its great privilege to see your work in ace seeds my friend. ill be around. happy growing!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hi dubi,

its me chongkee. Man..those Kalingas you grew definitely look top notch. Great stuff man! A true maestro... i havent been active in the forums and somewhat slowed down in my growing since i lost all my genetics a couple of years back. Anyway its great privilege to see your work in ace seeds my friend. ill be around. happy growing!

High chongkee friend :smile:

It's great to see you back, i think we lost contact many years ago, hope life is fine there friend. Please send me an email to: info@aceseeds.org, will try to pm when you pass the '50 post limit'. Best wishes.