What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica grow outdoors, 44* N

yoss33

Veteran
I like how crooked Z#4's main top and the tops of its branches are.
picture.php

By the way, we had some good rains this week and the next 10 days will be sunny according to the weather forecast, so I expect some real growth for the next-weekend photos, summer photosynthesis seems to be finally coming :)

idiit

Veteran
timber!

great job posting this thread!

dubi has stated that it was hard to keep a zamal clone and i had the same experience with my zamal dominate zamalish female out of zamaldelica. if you've got a male showing strong auto flowering traits it might be a good idea to mate the zamalish male into a strong zamal leaning female.

i mated an angola red male into my zamalish female and am now running some f1's (zamalish female/angola red male) and am happy to report that many of the f1's exhibit strong zamal leaning auto flowering characteristics. i'm crossing my best alpha zamalish/angola red f1 male back into my zamalish dominate female zamalish/angola red f1's as well as making s1's (selfed zamalish female seeds)/(zamalish/angola red) seeds.

(zamalish female/ar male)/ (zamalish female/ar male) f2's selected for zamal dominate phenos in both parents.

and

(zamalish female s1)/ selected zamal dominate (zamalish/angola red).

now after these seeds are made i can run some seeds out and select for zamal dominate phenos stored in seed form for up to 5 years before i need to do strain preservation seed runs.
picture.php

04d2e52ff9cbd4111775ca89ae6ee740_1090458.jpg

^ zamalish/angoal red male pheno that exhibits auto flowering under constant 17/7 photoperiod in very early veg. only a few weeks old when indicated. as soon as rootbound went heavy into flowering.

129c31e16f8c95d584fc8f881292d570_1090462.jpg

^ zamalish dominate zamalish/angola red female with very sativa type leaf profile under constant 17/7 photoperiod. this one seems like she might have some meao thai in her or zamal dominate as her leaves are much narrower than malawi and/or angola red. leaves. she indicated when at 4th node and at this young stage already has a few seed pods from one early pollen flower from the zamalish/angola red male dusted 2+ weeks ago.

the above pics. are two zamal dom zamalish/angola red f1's; one male, one female. zamalish seems to be dominate for autoflowering characteristics in my zamalish/angola red f1's.
you can go to "my albums" for better view of the pics.

i've also got a few selfed female zamalish s1's sprouted and will make zamalish s1's/(zamalish/angola red) when the s1's are starting to flower.

i'll keep plenty of pollen soaked q-tips from my alpha zamalish/angola red male in my pollen freezer jar and whenever i want to make a cross in the next year-18 months i just take a q-tip or two out of the pollen freezer bag and i'm in biz.

if you can't keep the clones for long then a good seed stock source for selected f1's seems logical.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi all,
Here's the weekly update...
View Image

Yoss33,

I'm glad to see that Z4 has survived the rains in an upright fashion. Looking forward to next weeks update after sunny weather. It's good to see those huge Thai-like leaves. It bodes well of your selection IMHO.

:tiphat:

Idiit - It may be easier to just go on vacation to Reunion island and find a pure Zamal! I looked on Google Earth, and the geology there looks crazy cool. I have the topography setting exaggerated, but I think there are deep canyons and crevasses all over the place.

:biggrin:

I'm only partially joking. I like the work you are putting into it. It is a testament to your opinion of the Zamal genetics. I have done something similar with a particular Neville's Haze individual I once had.

I created two lines heavily selfed by the Neville's cut. Both lines are Neville's x Burmese x Nevilles x Hawaiian Haze x Neville's. The Burmese and Hawaiian Haze individuals are different selections in each line. I plan on bringing them together after searching for a Neville's leaning individual in each line. I'm also trying to find another great strain to invigorate by outcrossing, without again selfing, one of these lines before bringing them together. That is why I'm looking at the Zamal.

Genetics is a complicated thing. Many of us were taught since grade school about Mendel's work using a couple of simple traits. Our practical experience focusing on traits of cannabis such as quality and potency of the high are very complex I think. I believe these effects are the results of complex combinations of genes. This can be extraordinarily frustrating when looking for the best magic of the cannabis experience.

It is wise to keep in mind the great Luther Burbank and look through large numbers of individuals to "breed the best, and forget the rest". When cannabis is decriminalized, I think great strides will be made, by aficionados like us, in a short amount of time using this technique.

Please forgive me for straying off topic. Both of you are doing great work, and your posts make this thread the one I look forward to the most.

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Hello, people!

Here's the weekly update, of Z#4 only, as I was too busy with the garden and forgot to take photos of Z#2.
By the way, I was watering my friend's plants on the balcony for 3 days as he was away from town. I did some clipping of tops as well. Plants seem very happy, Z#1 is not really starting to flower, just is too branchy and bringing pre-flowers on every node. Will take photos when there's more progress. My friend will have to think of a way to automate watering as the plants already require more than 1 watering every day during these hot days, and these plants are going to be quite bigger and thirstier in no time.

Z#4:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's great when you start looking upwards to see the top of your lovely plant...
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Z#4 is growing fine, enjoying the longest days of the year - now it receives about 11 hours of direct sunlight. Z#2 receives about 5.

Here's a new shot of Z#2, it looks small on it, but it's actually almost as tall as me and its fan leaves are big ones.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I have to excuse myself for the confusion that has to be introduced:

The plants on my friend's balcony are not labeled and I know which is which by what my friend told me as I haven't seen them for 1 month after giving them away. But it seems he's mistaken Z#1 for Z#5.
I should have thought about it earlier but now it seems too obvious - if you look at the first photos, you'll see that Z#1 has huge fat leaves, and Z#5 and Z#6 are small and delicate both as plant and leaf structure.
I had a careful look at the fan leaves on the main stems of the 3 plants and there's no doubt that what I've been calling Z#1 in this thread is actually Z#5 (as per the initial nomenclature) and the plant with the big leaves has been incorrectly called Z#5 on the photos from the balcony.
I made a notice at the bottom of all my posts that mention these plants.
I think it's better to make this correction because the thread follows plants from start hopefully to finish, and people will get wrong impressions on how the Zamal leaning phenos look at the earliest stage.
It turns out that if you are looking for Zamal expressions, you'd better select for the most delicate plants with small leaves. They are the slowest starters but later make up with vigorous branching.

Here are a few new photos, with the correct IDs from now on.

Z#1:
picture.php

Z#5 (on left) & Z#1 (on right):
picture.php

Z#5:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
A close-up of a Z#5 top:
picture.php

And Z#6, a little droopy because of no water - it's still waiting to get transplanted into bigger pot that can last it a day with 1 watering:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Painfull

Yoss> Nice pics. Looks like that #2 is leaning towards the Malawi. Are they from clones or female/reg seeds? Looking forward to the finished product and a smoke report.

:bigeye:
Painfull

yoss33

Veteran
Hi,
As stated in the first post of the thread, "I started 6 non-feminized seeds (Zamal x Golden Tiger) on the 11th of March, ..." :)

Z#2 leaning towards Malawi sounds nice, hopefully I'll have the chance to sample all these phenos. I recently gave to a friend 2 small lower branches of Z#2 for clones. He's growing in hydroponic SOG, with densely packed plants, and likes how columnar Z#2 looks. A month ago he took clones from other Zamaldelicas from the other friend's balcony, but decided to also take from Z#2. As far as I heard, he's not very happy with how much time it takes for the Zamaldelicas to react to 12/12, but he's used to indicas, so no surprise :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here are the weekly photos of Z#4:
View Image

Looking great Yoss33! The beauty of this plant just slays me.

It looks to me that this individual is the odd girl in the bunch. I hope it is also an especially potent individual with a good quality high. I hope you have taken cuttings and are planning on making some seeds.

Hope all continues to proceed most excellently,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Hi there, people!

ThaiBliss, yes, Z#4 is kind of different from the other 4 plants. It's not Zamal leaning, but I selected it due to characteristics I like and associate with the best sativas, and not trying to find the most Zamal-looking plant. Lanky plants with light color usually give the best high and big leaves usually mean big flowers and big buds. I have to take a photo of Z#4's pre-flowers - some of them are about 15 mm in length (without the pistils). The biggest leaves and flowers I've seen were on a Thai hybrid, and Z#4 is not far behind in size.

I'm an outdoor grower and don't keep cuttings between seasons. I'd be happy to make some seeds but we have pollination from wild hemp and so I never know if a seed is from my intentional pollination or from a wild father. Growing new plants and strains each year is great, I have no need to stick to a particular plant, no matter how good it is.

Here's the weekly update.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi there, people!
...I selected it due to characteristics I like and associate with the best sativas... Lanky plants with light color usually give the best high... The biggest leaves and flowers I've seen were on a Thai hybrid, and Z#4 is not far behind in size.

View Image

View Image

Yoss33 - Good information. Nice post.

I have some seedlings just about to pop. I planted way more than I need, so I'm going to do some selecting at a very early age, and again a bit later. I'm going to select based on the skinniest, longest leaflets, and the lightest color. The mother has a bit of indica in it, and the two fathers are all sativa. I do keep cuttings, but I need narrow down my collection. I need to test these males to see if I want to keep them.

B.T.W. - Your plant still looks very healthy. Great photographs. The last two are my favorites.

Cheers,

ThaiBliss

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Lovely yoss33 :)
It's a big pleasure to see the sativas growing so healthy in your land.

Here the spring has also been unusual wet and cloudy but now the summer is hitting strong. Wish you plenty of sunny days and success, and that the wind takes aways the hemp pollen in other direction.

O

orfeas

Hi Yoss33!
Been following your thread for two reasons.
One is my being bitten by the ZM lovebug(as somebody put it)
and the other is my feeling kind of aquainted to you since I am often called Bulgarian for supporting PAOK FC:biggrin:
Nevertheless your ladies seem to flourish all the way and I'm pretty sure late autumn will be rewarding time unless shitty weather says otherwise(knock wood!).
The last two words apply to me too, since oct/nov can be really abhorring despite ~40 deg. N coastal area.

Wish you all the best for the rest of the journey no matter how long it still is!

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the wishes, people :)

orfeas, the Balkans are a small place and we are all connected in some way. I live far from Greece but my grand-grand-father is from the area north of Thessaloniki, but being a Bulgarian priest he had to emigrate with his family when the area became under Greek governance in the beginning of the 20th century.

This week's update is short because I was on vacation and took only a few photos yesterday on my way back. On my last visit I put a pole stick to support the stem of Z#2 because it was slowly bending sideways towards the more light.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and Z#2:
picture.php

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Thanks for sharing pics of your grow, y33. Based on the size of that main stem, I'd say she's planning on moving in.

I've got 5 unsexed Zammys vegging, five weeks from seed, and it's interesting to see how similar they are to yours already- big leaves, "mean" leaf serations, and that open plant structure with thin stems.

Best of luck with your girls
(...and that smoke report :biggrin:)

Latest posts

Latest posts