What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Superthrive - What is it?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've had the same little bottle for a year and I use it on and off. I never noticed a difference. It doesn't hurt but it probably doesn't help enough to justify the cost. I'm not buying it again.

base nutes, molasses, floralicious+, calmag is all I use. I'm gonna try Pure Flowers. Krunchbubble and others recommended it in a recent thread.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Snake oil all it does is ensure that what ever plants your growing, get enough water cause everyone that uses it has to mix it with water. ie: 5 gl of H2O with super thrive mixed in, poured over the newly planted shrub. The shrub gets 5 gal of H20 that the planter generally wouldn't give the plant. The old time nurserymen I know, I was in the biz for years, all say its snake oil.

:smoweed:

Pearl, just curious, did you even read the thread? Pretty sure most of us on IC know how to water adequately at this point. Most of us are beyond that point. If its snake oil, I would have to say all rooting products are snake oil. I think there is a bigger picture here, like do the auxins help, or are they as Clack says, invented for the Christmas tree industry, and not necessary, and potentially harmful to soft stemmed plants. Also, we know a plant can synthesize B1, but if you provide it to the plant, does the plant use less energy on producing B1, and use that energy to perform other important functions.

:watchplant: Superthrive isn't snake oil. It helps plants resist stresses in the garden, and since one bottle can make 20,000 gallons it's not that expensive. Now, if you are an experianced grower, and your plants are relatively stress free. Then you probably don't need it. :twocents:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
In Oregon it's finally gone for good. It's ovah! Don't play around with your labels in this state.

Heh...............................

CC

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Bought a 10 dollar bottle more than a year ago. Use it in every watering up til final flush. Still have half a bottle left.

If it's snake oil, it's snake oil for pennies.

tester

This is according to the State of Oregon's Department of Agriculture site:

Humic Acid, Indole3 Butyric Acid, Naphthaleneacetic Acid, Phosphorous Acid, Kelp, Vitamin B1, Polyacrylamide, Potting Mix.

Please look again, these are just boxes for the most used components in nutrient amendments, but there were no numbers in them.
These are listed below every amendments.

This is the database, but it's down at the moment.
http://oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_metal/search.lasso

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wait... this stuff is banned from sale?
mean mr.mustard

In the US it's banned in Oregon, Oklahoma and another state that I can't recall. Washington state is going to follow Oregon from all indications and the CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers) has filed a complaint with California's Department of Agriculture.

There are at least 20 countries which has prohibited the sale of this product.

In Oregon it was a lab test that busted them for failing to list NAA on their label which is a pesticide according to EPA. That does not mean that a product can't contain NAA - it just has to be noted on the label.

Hardly any room on Superthirve's label for much more than the 70+ year old gibberish and drivel. Once the old man dies off (he's in his 90's) this product will probably be resigned to the dust heap of horticulture history.

Or not.

CC

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NAA being registered as a "pesticide" is nothing more than a chemical technicality and a pretty silly one at that. It's surely not one in the traditional sense of the word and superthrive is extremely safe & non-toxic compared to most other products used in the garden. Clack what exactly is your personal vendetta against it? I'm seriously just wondering in a friendly manner. :)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
NAA being registered as a "pesticide" is nothing more than a chemical technicality and a pretty silly one at that. It's surely not one in the traditional sense of the word and superthrive is extremely safe & non-toxic compared to most other products used in the garden. Clack what exactly is your personal vendetta against it? I'm seriously just wondering in a friendly manner. :)
SOTF420

The inclusion of NAA was not the 'technicality' that caused this product to be banned in Oregon, Oklahoma, France, etc. - it's the label.

Why is that so hard to understand? Trying to make it about what it contains is an interesting tactic but it's dishonest. Many, many products have NAA in their ingredient mix/formula and have no problems with ODA or any other regulatory agency.

I don't have a personal vendetta against Superthrive other than some stores were trying to pass it off as 'organic' which it is not. It may be any number of things - able to cure cancer. Fix flat tires. Feed the homeless. Save 3rd World Countries. Whatever. but it is not organic by any stretch of the imagination.

On all products that contain NAA like Dip-n-Gro, Dyna-Gro Cloning Gel, et al. all state, right up front, that their products are NOT approved for use with food plants and have for over 25 years.

"Equal protection under the law" is what is fair. If Dip-n-Gro has to list NAA as well as the rest of the cloning products (with the exception of Clonex Gel), then Superthrive is obligated to follow suit.

Pretty simple - public safety over corporate profits. Sounds good to me and if this is a 'vendetta' then that's what it is I suppose.

CC

NorCal530

SOTF420

The inclusion of NAA was not the 'technicality' that caused this product to be banned in Oregon, Oklahoma, France, etc. - it's the label.

Why is that so hard to understand? Trying to make it about what it contains is an interesting tactic but it's dishonest. Many, many products have NAA in their ingredient mix/formula and have no problems with ODA or any other regulatory agency.

I don't have a personal vendetta against Superthrive other than some stores were trying to pass it off as 'organic' which it is not. It may be any number of things - able to cure cancer. Fix flat tires. Feed the homeless. Save 3rd World Countries. Whatever. but it is not organic by any stretch of the imagination.

On all products that contain NAA like Dip-n-Gro, Dyna-Gro Cloning Gel, et al. all state, right up front, that their products are NOT approved for use with food plants and have for over 25 years.

"Equal protection under the law" is what is fair. If Dip-n-Gro has to list NAA as well as the rest of the cloning products (with the exception of Clonex Gel), then Superthrive is obligated to follow suit.

Pretty simple - public safety over corporate profits. Sounds good to me and if this is a 'vendetta' then that's what it is I suppose.

CC
Curious what is so bad about NAA?

Frosy

It's good stuff, hands down. Even DJ Short uses this. Myself as well, moderately when transplanting. It has ben copied so many times, maybe some of the others are as good, but definitely Superthrive is not 'snake oil'. Has it's place in the garden.