What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed vs Opioids: Which Is Better For Pain ?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
they gave me a prescription for docusate sod,,But being as I aint taking their shit ,,,my shit is fine lol....yeehaw...opiates make me feel like a zombie....on the upside my hidden pharmacy now has like 90 more pills ....

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Me to!

Me to!

they gave me a prescription for docusate sod,,But being as I aint taking their shit ,,,my shit is fine lol....yeehaw...opiates make me feel like a zombie....on the upside my hidden pharmacy now has like 90 more pills ....

If I need them I got them :yeahthats:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Opiates have been around for a very long time. In contemporary times we find all kinds of refinements and synthesis of the milk of poppy.

In the day, where poppy is grown, people would use it for toothache and often become addicted because lack of other resources.

We all know that opiates cause addiction and I believe everyone becomes addicted at some point in life. Better to save that for the days near the end.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For me personally its all a matter of which type of pain. Musculoskeletal pain a mix of opioids, nsaids, and cannabis is the most effective for myself. For neuropathic (nerve) pain, cannabis is the only thing that's helps and adding opioids is pointless and just makes me nauseas.

Guys with these issues, get sour bubble from BOG ASAP.
It has been a miracle for my back issues... I dose edibles daily to keep it in my system.... When I smoke her I can feel the twitches and spasms calming...

Please try it if you got these issues! :tiphat:

EastCoast710

Opiates have been around for a very long time. In contemporary times we find all kinds of refinements and synthesis of the milk of poppy.

In the day, where poppy is grown, people would use it for toothache and often become addicted because lack of other resources.

We all know that opiates cause addiction and I believe everyone becomes addicted at some point in life. Better to save that for the days near the end.

if you look into dr carl hart.. he explains that feeling like you have no point in life.. or being depressed helps get u addicted.. the majority of heroin users are not addicted.. a majority of all drug users are not addicts..
also i believe that addiction is a habit.. and thats all . the only difference is the chemical.. we dont put a stigma around any other addictions people have.. only sex and drugs.. only things that cause pleasure.. and the only place that didnt want us to have any pleasure.. was CHURCH.. our laws are based on religion and bullshit.

habits are hard to break. doesnt matter what kind. i know dudes who cannot stop biting their nails no matter whaat.. its bene 15 years .. no1 puts them in rehab.. becaues it doesnt cost them money.. if the black market went under.. and the gov sold cheaper pure drugs.. drug addicts would be working hard like everyone else.. but when it costs more in drugs a day than u can make at work in a day.. no reason to work lol.

stinky

I have a fucked up neck, upper, middle, and lower back.
Ive done dilauded PO and IM and IV with all sorts of piggy backs. That shit doesnt stop pain. And you dont really het any stronger than dilaudid.

Research the mechanics of opioids to pain receptors. You'll see that,
1- you're not stopping the pain, just changing the signal path ever so slightly
2- CBD does the same thing as opiates activate the CB2 receptors.

So, get a couple CBD strains and a couple THC strains and look for a strain with THCV.

Much love and know that psychedlics can help heal damaged neural tissue, so don't feel hopeless.

Opioids almost killed me numerous times. I have had neck fusion surgery, lower back surgery. and current spine issues. I decided 2016 was going to be a better year for me and my family. For 10 + years I was on quite a large amount of opioid pain killers. Somehow my doctor's had convinced me that these death drugs were the answer to my chronic pain.

So the first of the year I decided to drop a larger dose of LSD and really think about what I was doing to myself. Over the 10 year period I almost died a half a dozen times. The addiction to the pills was something I never thought I would experience in my lifetime. I think I was on 500-700mg each day. Blacking out, seizures, end stage kidney failure with both kidneys... fuck man it was BAD.

So I tripped and decided I loved myself and my family too much to kill myself with those terrible death drugs. From that day I have never looked back and only use cannabis for my chronic pain.

Opioids are handed out like candy. It is a false sense of hope for pain relief. They might work that first day, or that first week then you are just increasing doses to manage pain. I had terrible really bad back and neck pain for 10+ years. Having a number of months under my belt and thinking much clearer I am happy to say my pain level is way way down. From a constant 7-8 pain to a 2.

I feel very blessed to have lived through this episode in my life. So I guess what I want to say to the original poster or anybody reading this is NO opioids do not work for the long haul. They make pain much worse and on top of that you are now a junkie.

Fucking Doctor's. Can't trust them, uneducated about REAL pain relief methods.

Love all of you here.... :huggg:

Brot

Damn, dont even know where to start. In my 56 years on this rock, Ive lived hard, and paying the price in my older years. Ill try to make this short. Over my life, ive been biten by a Water Moccasin, Rattlesnake, Black widow (many times), Brown Recluse,. Ive contracted Brucellosis, Oisymilitis(bone infection), fractured tail bone(now fused), 7- major head injuries, multiple broken bones, stabbing. Explanation goes like this, from 10-23 yo, MOTOCROSS/ROAD-RACING. Then my vocation, I was a Water Well Drilling Contractor. Spent 25 yesrs on the back of a drill rig. Every insect/snake bite were in PUMP HOUSES! Brucellosis was from hunting wild hogs, bone infection from breaking my foot without knowing. Did I forget to mention the motorcycle accident in 1977, just about loss my right foot! And contracted Hep-C from blood products. Then spent 13 years(2001-2014) trying to get rid of it! Two rounds of Riboviron/ Interferon(chemical chemo) from 2003-2006. No luck, then in 2014 Dec, I was given " Harvoni" $1125.00 per pill, 120 days I was on it. Finally Clear!!!!(after $150,000.00) of insurance!

With all that said, IM IN PAIN 24/7/365. Took 120 mg Morphine every 24 hrs for 3 years, due to inoperable back injury. I finally got sick of the opiates, and wanted off. I started with 8 mg of Butranorphine every 12 hrs, then weaned my self down to 1 mg/12 hrs. It keeps my pain at bay, lets me function. BUT MY BEST RELIFE IS CONCENTRATES! I make a balm, with 3- gs of oil, to every 10 gs of bees wax/cocco butter. It works on ANYTHING sore /pianful for 24 hrs! I also make concentrate and make edibles. I CLS everything, sub zero temps, inline dewax, and run with ETHANOL!

Last edited:

Brot

Plus... Just had 3- stents into my heart, this past Valentines Day. Then another stent into my Upper GI.(Mesenteric Artery, stenosis) two weeks ago. Keep on truckin.....

Siever

Veteran
Hey Stinky,

I'm very glad for you you solved your pain problems. However i had severe back pain for several years and cannabis just wasn't strong enough to help me dealing with that pain. Yes it's true that opioids make you a zombie in the not so long term, but to me I'd rather be a zombie than becoming crazy from so much pain.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Brot .. I can relate to that completely, I'm 66 and dealing with a lifetime of motorcycle injuries as well as numerous injuries and infections over the years .... I also find that topical balms do provide pain relief from the aches of broken bones better than other methods of non intrusive treatment

I put this down to the cannabinol confusing the pain receptors rather than the opiate route of trying to stop the receptors working ... I say confusing as I can't think of a word that adequately describes the effect

My view was echoed by a friend who tried some on an old elbow injury that was playing up, it also reduced the inflammation noticeable

stinky

Hey Stinky,

I'm very glad for you you solved your pain problems. However i had severe back pain for several years and cannabis just wasn't strong enough to help me dealing with that pain. Yes it's true that opioids make you a zombie in the not so long term, but to me I'd rather be a zombie than becoming crazy from so much pain.

I told myself the exact same thing. I'd rather be a opiate junkie than deal with constant chronic pain I was having. It is a FALSE hope of pain relief my friend. I guess everyone is different. But, I would wager my SSD check that if you have been on them three years the benefit of pain relief is slowly or quickly leaving. These opioids mess up your brain. Make you think you are at a certain pain level when the reality is they are making things worse.

I still am trying to wrap my head around how I was on them for so long. Your brain tells you things like " Well the doctor prescribed them for your pain, your doing nothing wrong". " That's what they are there for is pain management".

All bullshit in my experience. Before I stopped taking these death drugs I had a appointment with one of the best brain and spine surgeons in the USA. I went with my wife of 26 years and he looked at my MRI's, looked at my cane, and looked at the pained expression I had on my face. I can help you he told me. We are going to have to " Rebuild your Back".

I got new MRI's and was making plans for yet another back surgery. Once I made the decision to get off those terrible drugs my mind became clear, and I would experience and have been experiencing the lowest pain level since I injured myself back in 2004. When I went back to see the surgeon he remarked how well I looked. No cane today Mr. Stinky? How's that pain level? a 2 you say? What's that you stopped taking your opiate pain med's and are just using cannabis for your pain? I mean my back is pretty fucked up and surgery certainly is an option. He advised me NOT to have another surgery and continue on the path I had decided on as it was proving to be MUCH more effective than the massive doses of opioids you were on.

Make whatever you will of all that. There are so many people that get these things prescribed for one thing or another and when the script can't be filled anymore, or the pain management drug dealer decides he cant or wont treat anymore you have a raving opiate junkie willing to do just about anything for that relief from pain/withdraws. While I never had to resort to Heroin lot's of people do after learning the pills and the smack are basically the same.

Actually I think the pills are much more dangerous as they are pure and not cut like street drugs.

Chronic Pain really sucks bad. It changes you as a person. Always cranky always grouchy, can't sleep, can't think straight. I would be at the end of my rope most day's.

I have much Love for all cannabis growers and much respect for anyone going through a chronic pain issue.

I do NOT have ANY love for Purdue Pharma the maker's of oxycontin. There is also no love for the Sackler family, one of the richest families in the world. They own 100% of Purdue Pharma.

The OxyContin Clan: The $14 Billion Newcomer to Forbes 2015 List of Richest U.S. Families.

Greedy bastards always ruin it for everyone. Doesn't matter if these drugs have killed thousands. They need more more more MONEY.

I know it was my choice to take those pills each and every day, month, year, decade. What was not my choice was the TRUTH about these drugs and how deadly they were/are and how addictive they are. I try and not be bitter or angry. I am alive, have a beautiful wife and beautiful kids. I did something I never thought I could do.

What makes me angry/sad are the broken families that are a direct result of Opiate Pain Pills. Dead Fathers, Dead Mothers, brothers, sisters... It is fucking tragic.

Good luck everybody. Sorry for the long post but if it makes just ONE person think about it a bit more then it was worth it.

:thank you:

WelderDan

Veteran
A combo of opiates and cannabis seemed to be the best for me. When the opiates weren't cutting it, I could get some extra relief with edibles, and then smoke myself to the point that while I still was in pain, I didn't care.

Surgery eliminated the worst of my pain. But coming off the opiates after a couple years of use was terrible and I wouldn't have been able to do it without cannabis. After long term opiate use, you feel every little ache that the opiates were masking.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is not really on topic but Relief Factor has helped me and several I know with arthritis pain. Natural and no side effects. Better than pot and I have no idea about opiates.

I am not working for them in case you are wondering.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Same boat Stinky, high five and a hug, bro

Nettle leaf and Pao D'arco teas are great for inflammation, as is coconut oil.

LostTribe

Premium user
I haven't used even advil in the last 5 years for pain relief even for deep cavity in a back molar and when my bully bit me and locked up on my wrist was pretty deep too....opioids are just plain bad man I wouldn't touch that stuff....pain is 99% mental anyway I think that is why pot helps so great with it.

stinky

Same boat Stinky, high five and a hug, bro

Nettle leaf and Pao D'arco teas are great for inflammation, as is coconut oil.

Thank's brother. I am assuming you made it through to the other side of life where things are much better and you are much happier. I will use the information you posted above as working in the garden has brought the pain level up a tiny bit.

It certainly was not easy getting off that shit..... seemed like the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I am so lucky to be married to my beautiful redhed. She helped me and then gave me space when I needed it. The withdraws were horrible but the insomnia was just insane. I did not sleep for 21 days. I was out of my mind with sleep deprivation and finally had my family doc write a script for Trazadone. Best sleep I had in years.

It matters not if people try and help you or convince you that you need help. The final choice to live or die has to come from within yourself.

I feel so fucking blessed. High five and a Hug back at ya brother. :huggy: