What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower Buyers Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a AF of what was advertised as Blueberry x Hindu Kush by LowLife. I got the pack and it was marked as AK47xBlueberry. Anyway, its about 9 or 10 days after showing sex and I'm seeing trichs on a couple of plants already. at about 8" tall.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9day trichs.jpg
    9day trichs.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice thread, theres a lot more autoflowers before, anyone ever heard of dutch-breed?

I do not grow many auto flowers but dutchbreed is a legitmate reputable seed company. I have only grown one autoflower dutchbreed strain but it was a great experiance.. heres my contribution..

Short Term Amnesia- Dutchbreed- Wonderful tasting strain and very unique. She has great smell and taste, the smaller branchier phenos smell very much like pineapple when cured. The dominant taller almost sativa-ish Pheno in my pack had a strong grapefruit presence. Great change of pace day time smoke and decent yeilder for an auto..out of 7 germed I got 6 females and 1 male.

heres a crappy pic of a nug grown under cfls
picture.php

Rose56

Great Thread!

Joint Doc's Diesel Ryder. Compact bud on a stick small but potent. Great for growing where space is limited. I've noticed that a lot of the AFs need a bit longer then 60 days to finish 70-75 but the DR tends to be an early finisher. Strong smell.

Attitude's Snowryder They haven't finished yet need another week. The two girls are about 18" tall, their main cola does seem to be on the small side but smell nice and have good crystal formation.

Mdanzig's Sour Bubbleryder AKA Sour 60 A big yielder for an AF. Good branching with plenty of bud sites. Very potent. Strong odor. My favorite.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
There needs to be a standard set for classifying TRUE AutoFLowering strains, TRUE AF strains are ones that flower in continuous light 24 hours a day, after a certain age of healthy growth is reached. Anything else is actually just very early flowering like, such early flowering strains stay in VEG in 24 hours light but will flower in such light as 18/6. These strains have a very short critical light period to induce flowering. Some version of Mighty Mite are an example of these strains. These plants dont share the same genetic trigger as TRUE AFs like LowRyder and its hybrids. That being said here is a list of TRUE AutoFlowering Hybrids.

Mossy's JEMS A very colorful indica dominant AF hybrid. All plants, females and males will show color. Deep Purple is the dominant color, few show reds and pinks. Very nice potency of indica dominance, sweet floral flavor. Proven and bred outdoors!! Mold resistant, and high tolerance to low and high temps. It is one of the few proven outdoor AFs.

i will post more ,, should we include pics?
Honestly not the biggest fan of the Mossy gems. So far the ML has topped all other afs in flavor and potency. This should be the breeding stock of future AF's IMO.

I

IceColdCrickets

Honestly not the biggest fan of the Mossy gems. So far the ML has topped all other afs in flavor and potency. This should be the breeding stock of future AF's IMO.

ML is a good breeding parent, if you want a heavy Indica influence in your new AF. Im working on Sativa leaning AFs and should be done in a few generations. I have one that is a Durban Poison AF very sativa but still retains that fast flowering of the Durban. I also have my DUCK RYDER,, yep it is Ducks Foot x LR1, made it a long time ago , being a pain in the ass making her perfect due to the reccessive trait of the webbed leaves and the AutoFlowering. There are many more high quality AFs coming out,, you must remember it took years before the advent of Northern Lights, Skunk#1, BlueBerry, and other elites of the NON-AF world. The AF world of breeding is still in its infantcy, and it will take time to produce the quality we have been seeing in the NON-AFs. But it is coming just need to wait.

what didnt you like about the JEMS? for me the taste when smoked was ok,, but when I put it in the VAPE.. not so nice,, very acrid sour floral.. but I heard better selections will be available this fall.

blackone

Veteran
Duck ryder sounds like a great idea :) Good work preserving that trait - should also be stable once you nail it when it's recessive.

daddy fingaz

Just recently been gifted some white dwarf seeds and didnt have much info on them so this thread was great to find and looking forward to poppin em now!

can anyone enlighten me as to the average height and finishing time of white Dwarf !?

Peace.

RewTheJew

beek..
One key point I'd like to make is that root space is very crucial to obtaining optimal yields from autos.

Very true..

The roots have a tendency to accumulate at the bottom and don't effectively fill out the upper portions of the pot.
True

I would recommend starting in half gallon pots and after sexing transplant to a 3 gallon pot.
Not so great...

Transplanting autos is a bad idea. I have received 50+ grams consistently on the AutoAk, and have only failed miserably when trying to start them in something small (such as keg cups, or half gallon containers). I have found the key to sucess is to put them in two or three gallon tree pots
treepots2_sm.jpg

(http://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.html).

Autos tend to send one main root all the way to the bottom of the container, before they start any major growth. With the tall tree pots, and not transplanting(from smaller containers), the roots have all the bottom space in the world, which allows them to grow to their full potential.
With the tree pots as well, they are not very wide, so you are able to cram twice as many in the same amount of space, unless of course you have height issues, then there is no benefit.

I learned how to grow pot with autos, but since switching to normal strains, i have realized that the overall quality and potency (masterlow aside) of autos is pretty weak. Still a fun plant to toy with, and great for that extra oz or two when left in the veg room.

RTJ

29501CIMG0542.JPG

raz1012

Good points made RTJ, it is better to keep autos in same pot from start to finish and actually I was looking for pots just like the ones you have displayed. I have had great success w/ transplanting tho and there is a knock on immediately going to 2-3 gallon pots, that would be that you don't know the sex of the plant and your using up a lot of good(expensive) soil on a male plant. figure if you had 20 plants all in 3 gallon containers only 10 on average are going to be female. Thats 60 gallons of soil total and 30 gallons of it are wasted on males(Yes you can reuse the soil but some of the nutrients have been leeched and some of the probiotics in the soil have been killed off). Whereas with half gallons 20 plants would require 10 gallons of soil(before transplant) and u'd only be wasting 5 on males. Makes more sense, and if your good with transplanting it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Auto Ak isn't the most potent strain but labeling all autos as weak doesn't make sense. They are becoming more potent with every new cross and the lines have become pretty blurred between the finish product of the latest autos and non-autoflowering strains.

blackone

Veteran
I've been looking at those treepots for some time - they really look great and some people have had serious success using those in HDSOG grows.
Don't really like the idea of ordering them overseas though.

*mr.mike*

I'd have to disagree, and extremely, with the notion that it is bad to transplant autos.

I use masterlow, start it in a peat pellet, then after it roots, put it into a small cup. Ater a few sets of true leaves it goes into a one liter pot, then, into a two-liter pot.

Then, if they seem to want to get big, and most do, I put them into a 3.5 gallon container.

This way, the plants are filling up the pots with roots, then growing right into the next one.

My masterlows are from 40 to 50 cm, on average, and yield from 15 to 25 grams. But a 12" fits best in my space.

My photo won't upload...

Well, we are off-topic with the pot-size discussion but just thought I'd add that I just up-potted some Lowlife auto-AK/diesels that were one week old and there were roots running around the bottom of the 14cm tall starter pots I was using. I don't have the room for large pots before sexing, and I don't have tree pots, so I just stacked my little ones, one on top of the other, with the bottom cut off of the top one. I fixed them together with duct tape. Once sexed, they'll go large. Next time I'll be using either tall, slender "bag pots" or 100mm OD round pots made of exhaust ducting tubes cut to about 30cm with a screen in the bottom for soil retention.

I think the plants want the peace of mind knowing they can plant their feet deeply. Roots make the plant. ;)

raz1012

My friend tried out some of that auto AKxdiesel, while he nute burned the hell out of them they still boasted a real nice yield with some good quality buds. Keep us updated on the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.