What's new

Well Water versus Reverse Osmosis Water

Hey folks,

Wanted to bring up some of my observations and get your take on it. Moved out to the country and have the great fortune of having a nice little place with it's own well water for the whole property. This is my second grow at this place and I'm growing with DWCs. Did a dialing-in grow last time with reverse osmosis water and had issues. Granted my last grow had a few issues but I found using r/o water to not be up to the hype. I also feel bad wasting so much water. I'm not paying for it but still, it's not cool to waste so much water.

This grow decided to go with Well water since it's basically rain water and my plants seem to be absolutely digging it. I am having much faster growth and happier plants using my well water than reverse osmosis water.

I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself because this grow is much tighter than my dialing-in one or well water is better. I'm using just simple lucas with Great White and well water and I'm very impressed so far.

I'll do whatever is best for my plants but I am feeling like Well water is the best option.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well water can be excellent and other well water not too good.

Water is a big variable in the soil/water dynamic which you will be adding elements to.

A good water analysis is necessary, Ca, Mg, Na, conductivity, pH, carbonates, bicarbonates, nitrates, iron and manganese. There is probably a good water package nearby that is inexpensive.

I use a lab in Ohio for soil and leaf analysis, not sure if they run water or not. Spectrumanalytic if you look them up, really good, really fast and really cheap. I have no economic interest in this lab, I just like them a lot.

FireIn.TheSky

It's completely case by case basis, not all well water in all areas will be the same, some can be great some can be terrible. It all depends on the dissolved minerals, pH and ppm.

With RO everything is stripped out of the water, straight RO is no good you need to add back minerals.

Dialing in RO can be dofficult, but if your well water is inconsistent or just straight up shitty you have no other option.

For me my well water changes with rain fall, snow melt or drought, my only option is to RO my well water.

Sounds like you got lucky, I'd say compared to municpile water supply well water and RO is better than city supplied water which has been treated with chlorine, flouride etc...

Well water can be excellent and other well water not too good.

Water is a big variable in the soil/water dynamic which you will be adding elements to.

A good water analysis is necessary, Ca, Mg, Na, conductivity, pH, carbonates, bicarbonates, nitrates, iron and manganese. There is probably a good water package nearby that is inexpensive.

I use a lab in Ohio for soil and leaf analysis, not sure if they run water or not. Spectrumanalytic if you look them up, really good, really fast and really cheap. I have no economic interest in this lab, I just like them a lot.

That was probably dumb of me to lay out such a simplistic take on this issue. Of course it's going to vary by well and there's going to be good and bad based on the water chemistry.

I know what you're saying though. My last place was on well as well but the water was awful, needed salt added to it and smelled funky. The water here though is great. It's been my go to beverage since moving in. We did get a water analysis done last year but unfortunately I don't remember any of it. :biggrin:

I guess that is my question. Can Well Water compete or be better than Reverse Osmosis in optimal conditions? I felt frustrated with r/o because of having to add back natural elements the plants need that the r/o filters out.

From my understanding rain water is the best you can possibly have. I would think well water could be optimal depending on the condition of your well since it's essentially just stored rain water?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well water reflects a lot more of what the soil base material is made of. That is where the big influence comes from bicarbonates, carbonates, etc... Bicarbonates are toxic. High levels of Na or Mg, can be a slow death to any crop.

RO is not cheap. First retest or find your sample to look at, then test in the spring again. Maybe even now in the fall. If you see several tests and not much change, just watch the ppms and pH. If anything moves, BANG, another water sample.

In agriculture, it is the little details that bite you in the ass. Miss one and ouch. Can be super costly if not managed.

Tynehead Tom

I'm on well water too but in the mountains. My water grows plants but then they start to lockout. My well water comes in at 7 to 7.2 and the analysis is chock full of minerals, it's an impressive list LOL
All the stuff one might expect to find in water seeping thru ancient volcanic base. High alkalinity, crap loads of Ca and Mg , copper, manganese, and the list goes on and on.
The ratios are all wacked tho and even using hard water micro with lucas formula here too, the well water is no good indoors. BUT I want those minerals...... so I use a ratio of 4/5ths of a gallon RO , add my micro, wait awhile, add my flora bloom and then I top up my gallon with well water. Seems to work like a hot damn.
I check both PPM and PH of the well water every time tho because as others have mentioned PPM and PH of the well water does fluctuate a few points here n there and it has to be accounted for when doing the ratio of RO to well water. My average well water reading is PH 7.2 PPM 450 and it fluctuates from 6.8 to 7.2 and ppm's 410 to 480 and I religiously calibrate my instruments.

but all that aside, your plants are gonna tell you if they are happy and if they are.... don't phuck with it :D

it does pay to get a water analysis and show it to someone who can interpret it for you as it applies to the garden.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
With RO everything is stripped out of the water, straight RO is no good you need to add back minerals.
If you do, it's because your nutrient balance is off, not from the RO simply being clean water.

Dialing in RO can be dofficult, but if your well water is inconsistent or just straight up shitty you have no other option.
You're correct, well/tap water is usually inconsistent, even seasonally. There is zero need to 'dial in' RO, your nutrient profile is off, if you're having issues with RO.

Reasons for using RO

• Cleaner cannabis
  • Ability to precisely control nutrient profile
  • Adding RO only changes pH through dilution of nutrients
  • RO is the same (enough) everywhere, pH/Nutes reaction is the same in all locations

You want super clean, extremely predictable pH/ppm management? Always use RO. Problems with RO do not come from the use of RO, they come from not providing what the plant requires, in a balanced manner.

This shouldn't even be a question, when discussing cannabis. Cucumbers are great with well/tap, go for it.

Granted my last grow had a few issues but I found using r/o water to not be up to the hype.
What's the hype? I've been using RO with hydro the last 15 years, perhaps I can help.

IronBackGorilla

pure water is the starting point for accurate application of the nutrient solution. and its the best way to flush.dare i say only true way to flush.lol

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
A lot of experts in here. Use the water that suits your situation, always know what's in it and adjust accordingly.
KISS

FireIn.TheSky

If you do, it's because your nutrient balance is off, not from the RO simply being clean water.

Well not everyone grow hydro and not everyone uses bottle nutes so its not a one size fist all kind of subject. I grow organic, so I lean on my soil and my water to provide what the plant needs aside from the regular nutrients.
It's not quite as simple as upping the nute formula.

Latest posts

Latest posts