What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Additional light(watts) during flowering

Mtez44

Is it beneficial to add additional lighting to a grow that is about halfway through its flowering stage? Will I see increase in yield?

Does the .5-1g per watt rule of thumb mean light during the whole grow?

I ask because I want to get more lights for the next grow. Just wondering if I purchased and introduced them to the current grow would there be any benefit?

I guess the LED's are so cheap to run it wouldnt hurt to try anyways. Just wondering any science or even opinions on this.

FYI I am talking about full spectrum led's and DWC

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Light is basically food for your plants. Turning light into energy via photosynthesis is how your plants get all their energy to grow and produce buds.

More Intense Light = Larger Plants & Fatter Buds = Bigger Yields

St. Phatty

I always wondered if there was diminishing returns at some point.

Sunlight at sea level is about 70 watts per square foot.

In space, above the atmosphere, it's about twice that. The atmosphere filters out most of the UV and a lot of other spectrum too.

I wonder what pot grown in the International Space Station or somewhere above the atmosphere, would be like.

If the heating from the extra light was somehow dealt with, without using shade-cloth type material, so the plants got the full amount of light.

Mtez44

I always wondered if there was diminishing returns at some point.

Sunlight at sea level is about 70 watts per square foot.

In space, above the atmosphere, it's about twice that. The atmosphere filters out most of the UV and a lot of other spectrum too.

I wonder what pot grown in the International Space Station or somewhere above the atmosphere, would be like.

If the heating from the extra light was somehow dealt with, without using shade-cloth type material, so the plants got the full amount of light.

If its is at ~70w at sea level than just double it to 140 and you can grow outer space buds

St. Phatty

If its is at ~70w at sea level than just double it to 140 and you can grow outer space buds

or super crispy Kentucky Fried buds.

I prefer using spotlights with LED lights if I'm concerned about a corner light level.

Also, mirrored surfaces help a lot. e.g. mirrors on the sides with fans at the ends.

One option is to put on your sunglasses and put your head where the plant is going to be. If it's painfully bright, that's a sign the plant would like it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
One thing to remember is... more light = more photosynthesis.

That also means more respiration.

Since the plants is "breathing" more and "eating" more, you sometimes have to go lighter on nutrients, mainly because the plants will drink more water.

Air exchange and negative pressure become slightly more important.

Think of me eating 2000 calories a day and the energy I expend vs a football player eating 5000 cals a day and working like a horse. The 2 of us have very different wants and needs.

I have had strains that produced more and better under less light. Satori by Mandella is a real light eater burns under my 1000 watt HPS. I turn it down to 700 and I get nice, green plants and the yield is just as much or more because the plant is healthier.

In short, you'll need to water more. But, like micro-nutes can make a big difference, the little things can mean a lot.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Also, mirrored surfaces help a lot. e.g. mirrors on the sides with fans at the ends.

In terms of a grow room....I'm pretty sure mirrors absorb light, not reflect it.

Other than some of the stuff like Panda and Permaflect which might be an exception, I believe the most reflective surface is smooth flat white paint.

Latest posts

Latest posts