What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My 1st Hydro. 2x600W DIY - NFTSystem?!

Lemmiss

Heydiho, here comes a somethingish growdiary!

So.. I have decided that I'm going to grow hydro. Having a lot of theoretical problems now when I'm planning/building my system.. Am kinda halfway through both in my mind and IRL :D
Need to figure out a lot, and need help!
So.. was thinking to let others follow my progress from nothing to harvest, and maybe, if you don't mind, wich I hope you wont, help me on the way! Cause help I could use

Haven't been growing for years, but have an old rectangularly shaped space/small room( 1,5*2,2m(~4.9*7.2feet) previously used for growing in soil. The room is fitted with lights and a ventilation system giving it underpressure() forcing all air through a carbon filter. The last couple of days I have been cleaning up all the dirt things wich have been standing there for years.

Now I got an empty ventilated growarea just waiting to be utilized! The room is 1,5*2,3m large. Wich makes the growarea 3,45m2(~37ft2) big. It is fitted with two 600w HPS lamps. Pretty nice start eeh? A funfun room u can fit with all kinds of fun stuff u want? :D

I've been starting to fit the room with things but haven't gotten especiallt far. And I'm planning as I go. My thought is It'll be some kinda pipebased NFT/E&F/DWC-system, not really sure. I change my mind all the time... not good.
Now in my next post I'll present where I currently stand and where I'm going. I'm also gonna list all the things I use and how.
Also one thing I'm sure of, is that this will be an EASY to use system. BTW! Please excuse me if I might express myself strange and/or spell things strange. English is not my native tongue.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You'll be able to edit your posts when your post count reaches 50. ;)

Until then, read up on K.I.S.S., the Lucas Formula and Lucas Reservoir Management Methods. Some day I'm going to post them up in one post here. lol Start with K.I.S.S... and make a few comments in the "Toker's Den" sub-forum. ;)

Desert Hydro

Veteran
since you are changing your mind a lot any way let me steer you towards something easier than NFT in tubes. been there done that when i first started. more complicated builds and if something fails they all die quickly.

i would suggest a 3'X6' flood tray with your two 600w lights over it. you could either flood the whole tray if you have a big reservoir or you could build a dirt cheap and simple manifold and drip system to top feed every couple hours. either way is simple and effective.

since you are new i would steer you towards a simple but effective nutrient regimen like veg+bloom, megacrop or jacks. you can mix by grams per gallon or by EC if you have a meter. GET A PH AND EC METER. my recirculating system with jacks runs itself. no upkeep at all, i just top off the reservoirs when they need it.

good luck

Lemmiss

Now I've posted this(+more) in "Grow Diaries" so no meaning saying much here since it's going to dissapear, but thank you kindly for your answers.

About changing my mind.. Going between flood&drain/drippers&NFT actually, but impossible to get such big tray where I live, belive me, I've been looking since that was what I initially was after. Also now I already bought the pipes... But why not do Flood and drain in the pipes, using them as "tray"? With drippers, problem is I don't understand how to use the hardware indoors, have NO practical knowledge of it, so unsure what to buy, that's why I was thinking NFT. But shouldn't it be possible to use pipes for tray flood and drain, drippers or even as dwc?

Anyway, not gonna write more here since it'll delete and don't belong here really, gah confused. Maybe it actually should be HERE since I got so many questions. Anyway, heres what I wrote in "diaries" and now I'm going to let MOD decide thread for me :)

Lemmiss

So, I've cleaned my room...( mum :) )
This growsystem is going to be based on four 2000mm(79'') pipes, with diameter 110mm(4''). Them fitted with x plantsites...
This is where I'm kinda stuck now... I am thinking to grow "almost" SOG. Using many plants and a relatively short veg-period, but not going straight to flower from seed. Sort of medium-sized plants.

So how am I going to space the plantsites?
How far between the sites?

I have built a wooden rectangle with legs like a table to place and hold the pipes. The rectangle is ~1400*1100mm(55*43''). For it was needed three standard planks here of 4200mm(165'').

Since I got four pipes in this space(1500mm/4,9ft), the width spacing will be something like <30cm(6'') between pipes:
What size of netcups should I use? 2'' or 3'? And how far between plantsites?

PipeWidth:
--|15|--|50|--|90|--|125|--
|xx|= Pipe Center.

PipeLength: What about 2'' cups spaced ~25(5'')cm? I'm afraid that is too close, but I'd rather make too many holes than too few... what do u think would be good for this setup? What size of netpots will do? 2''? 3''? Using NFT I'm unsure how stable it will be. Will the roots themselfs be able to support the mature plants weight?

200cm of pipe:
| =:10:=:40:=:70:=:100:=:130:=:1 60:=:190:=|
:xx: -PlantSiteCenter -
= - Pipe
| - Pipe end

So, thoughts collected.
We got 4*200cm pipe. ~30cm/6'' between the pipes...
7x2'' plantsites on each pipe. ~25cm/5'' space between plantsites...
So.. Whats sound and realistic considering spacing and size of plantsites ya think?

Lemmiss

Here's a little of what I bought.

1* Multi-purpose Silicone sealant for a little this and that.

3*4200mm standard planks for wooden frame.

4*2000mm D110mm pp pipe
4* D110mm pipe plug stop one end. Other I'll prolly improvise/silicone
4* Stop connector ½''
4* ½'' connectable regulating tap
Will in one end of 2000mm pipe I'll have a standard garden hose connector with hose for return of water to nutrient reservoir.

1* ½'' 20m/65feet hose kit
1* Water pump Eheim CompactOn (1000litres(264gal)/min 1,4m high)
1* 2,5m/8,2ft D16/22mm aquarium hose
4* 3-way hose connector for getting 4 wpump outlets (+cooling?)
(going to make some diy cooler for my nutrienttank so need water going through my cooler why extra )(+connector for emptying system partially or fully to drain)
1* Canna Vega and Flores (1vegAB, 1 floweAB) +PK1314
1*Ph-meter with buffer and stuff
1*Ec-meter with buffer and stuff

So, what kinda netpots should I get?? How should I solve the plantsites, and their spacing?? Thats my question now... I'd be thankful for advise. With/without medium? will NFT with pipes be enough or do I need extra drip to every site or anything other? Suggestions suggestions?? just a trickle of water in the bottom feels too little?
How big nutrient reservoir is needed for ok ph stability. Got access to different tanks.. 25litres(6.6gal) and 150(40gal) litres, but 25 "feels" too little, and 150 too much.
Otherwise I'll also order seeds in 24-48h too to get going.

So... That was a little of the most important things, not gonna mention tools and like skrews :)