What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perlite and clay pebbles mix or 100% perlite - Any feedback?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo guys,

I'm using a simple recirculating hydro setup and at now I always used 100% clay pebbles as medium, like this:

picture.php

Now I want to try perlite.

How about mixing them like 30% perlite and 70% pebbles?

How about a 100% perlite recirculating system?

Any link or data sheet about perlite and clay pebbles? I would like to know the average interstitial space/volume for both materials, but I don't know how to find 'em.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks :)

:wave:

starke

Maybe straight perlite with a layer of clay pebbles on top to keep the perlite from floating. People are running all perlite Hempy Buckets so it should work.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks bro, that's a good idea.

Still don't know if try 100% perlite with a top-layer of pebbles or go mixing 'em :thinking:

Maybe I'll make 4 pots with mixed mediums and 4 pots with 100% perlite and a layer of pebbles and see what happens.

Any input is very welcome guys :tiphat:

clown baby

Perlites fine. But if you're in recirculating like the pic shows, I'd recommend the larger grade. The small stuff is a PITA in your drain fittings and if it makes it back to your reservoir.

IMO the main differences are durability and weight. Also, perlite seems to grow more algae.

Go with whatevers cheaper

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perlites fine. But if you're in recirculating like the pic shows, I'd recommend the larger grade. The small stuff is a PITA in your drain fittings and if it makes it back to your reservoir.

I can't easily find a larger grade, only regular perlite :(

However, using fabric pot, once perlite is washed from dust, I don't think I 'll have any issue with this.

IMO the main differences are durability and weight. Also, perlite seems to grow more algae.
Algae are not a problem at all. Pots will be covered with alu foil.

About the weight you're right, perlite is lighter. About durability...well, I just toss it at the end of each run.

Maybe mix the 2 for the bottom half and make a top layer of pure clay pellets. :tiphat:

Yep, something like that!

Updates soon :wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I wrote…I'm now trying 2 different clay/perlite mix.

One layer of clay on the bottom and one on the top for both, difference is in the middle, where one is a mix of perlite and some clay pebbles, and the other one is 100% perlite.

Here the clay layer on the bottom

picture.php

Here the clay layer on the top

picture.php

Here the ''middle'' part of the 100% perlite

picture.php

And here the ''middle'' part of the mixed medium

picture.php

At now, cuttings are vegging and they're fine. No noticeable difference, they just grow fine. Have to wait a couple of months to know more.

:wave: