Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > First coco grow -> very slow growth

Thread Title Search
Click to visit The Vault Cannabis Seed Store
First coco grow -> very slow growth Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM #21
Snypie

Snypie is on a distinguished road
So if i understand correctly in veg does not need to watering to runoff. But i have a question. If i keep the top moist daily does not will be the bottom dry after a x period? Or it will wicking the moisture down?
Snypie is online now Quote

Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 AM #22
PoweredByLove
Most Loved

PoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of light
the plants will dry out if you only water a little bit a day to keep em moist but they will dry out slower and the roots near the top will grow more. the roots nearest the top are for sucking up food, the lower roots are mainly for sucking up water. so if you give a good watering then keep the top lightly moist it will help generate a stronger bigger root system. so instead of letting em dry out completely and watering every 3-4 days, water once to get a bit of runoff. then water lightly daily to keep the top moist and then water fully after they dry again and repeat. the roots seek moisture which is what makes them grow and expand. so while wet dry cycle is good for tiny seedlings and after a fresh transplant, i find the best root growth by doing the soaking then keeping moist till they need another soaking leads to overall faster thicker root growth. as far as coco is concerned. once they get rootbound enough for multiple feedings a day the growth is explosive. that dtw coco thread is a great read.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 AM #23
maimunji

maimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypie View Post
So if i understand correctly in veg does not need to watering to runoff. But i have a question. If i keep the top moist daily does not will be the bottom dry after a x period? Or it will wicking the moisture down?
Yes coco is like sponge. Plants in coco grow very well without single drop of run off whole grow.
maimunji is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM #24
Snypie

Snypie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByLove View Post
the plants will dry out if you only water a little bit a day to keep em moist but they will dry out slower and the roots near the top will grow more. the roots nearest the top are for sucking up food, the lower roots are mainly for sucking up water. so if you give a good watering then keep the top lightly moist it will help generate a stronger bigger root system. so instead of letting em dry out completely and watering every 3-4 days, water once to get a bit of runoff. then water lightly daily to keep the top moist and then water fully after they dry again and repeat. the roots seek moisture which is what makes them grow and expand. so while wet dry cycle is good for tiny seedlings and after a fresh transplant, i find the best root growth by doing the soaking then keeping moist till they need another soaking leads to overall faster thicker root growth. as far as coco is concerned. once they get rootbound enough for multiple feedings a day the growth is explosive. that dtw coco thread is a great read.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It is now clear in my mind and i understand coco a lot better in this view
Snypie is online now Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 04:41 AM #25
RumblefishTwist

RumblefishTwist is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but no runoff? Can't agree with that at all. I recommend to water to runoff at least daily, but it depends on size of pot. The idea is to have constant fresh nutrient supply and flush out old nutrient build ups. I've done 2 daily feedings in 1 gal pots in veg and noticed pretty quick growth. But 1 daily should do the trick as well, as long as you get about 10% runoff or more.
RumblefishTwist is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 04:43 AM #26
RumblefishTwist

RumblefishTwist is on a distinguished road
Just to note, i've always had explosive root growth in coco. Never really had to try hard for it. Wondering if their are air issues, as i use fabric pots with strong breeze circulating over them.
RumblefishTwist is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 AM #27
PoweredByLove
Most Loved

PoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of lightPoweredByLove is a glorious beacon of light
i do no runoff. you feed less more often. any air issues would come into play with there being too much water in the media and not enough root mass to suck up the water when the roots suck water they automatically pull in air. fabric pots usually need to be watered more often because they dry faster.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM #28
maimunji

maimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nicemaimunji is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumblefishTwist View Post
I'm sorry but no runoff? Can't agree with that at all. I recommend to water to runoff at least daily, but it depends on size of pot. The idea is to have constant fresh nutrient supply and flush out old nutrient build ups. I've done 2 daily feedings in 1 gal pots in veg and noticed pretty quick growth. But 1 daily should do the trick as well, as long as you get about 10% runoff or more.
You can't agree because?
You tried and not work for you?
maimunji is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 03:56 PM #29
MickFoster

MickFoster will become famous soon enoughMickFoster will become famous soon enough
A lot of bad advice in this thread in my opinion. Coco is hydroponics and if you want fast growth, the roots need oxygen, and that is achieved by adding perlite to your coco mix and feeding daily to run off. It's not called Drain to Waste Hydroponics for no reason. Daily feeding replenishes the nutes, pulls in fresh oxygen to the root zone, and eliminates any excess salt build up. Never let coco dry out - I feed once a day from sprout and twice a day when in flower, and I never have a discolored leaf.
MickFoster is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM #30
ibreza

ibreza is on a distinguished road
Leaching works well but I feel bad polluting for no good reason, since it's easy to get the same results by adjusting a few parameters.
need more oxygen? => grow in smaller container and feed more often
eliminate salt build up? => feed at lower EC in the first place
need to automate your tent? => blumat all the way

When I see the nonexistent rootmass in those pictures, and people advising daily (or more!!) feed with runoff when the plant is starving for Mg... you guys know that you can drown a plant, even in coco.
ibreza is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.