What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any " one hit weed " back in the 1970's ?

romanoweed

I've been trying to grow something as great as these examples for the past 12 years, but to no avail. I have good ganja properly dried, and mason jared cured, tastes great but not as powerful as these strains 30 or 40 years ago. Why the hell is that. I ready for legalized Thai and Colombian gold to be imported into the US for our consumption.

The Question is placed exactly right here, cause here in this thread i see all 1970s Freaks telleing the same: it was strong herb out there. I want to ask especially These People if anyone know what is the important factor. Cause These People are the only ones wich can rate the Value of a given todays sativa right. They know weed is actually a hallucinogen. Atleast the lucky ones. So if anyone has any clue . I mean, is it probably the lack of human selection/exchange, wich one time acured, and then stopped with prophibition.. or is it that
stong Equatorial Landraces are Natural breeds, wich is dying trough human interaction and therefore nomore producing vivid highs..
Or is it that the weed in 70s was grown in equator, and when westerners make Holiday we never get ahold of the good stuff guarded by the wise Healers.. And when we grow some of remaining 70s seeds the lack of sunintensity makes it weak. Indoors Lights have unnatural Lightspectrum..
What is the important factor, or are the factors--

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It was said the first shipment of Thai stick to the US was very high THC, tested at like 20% and its awesomeness created all the other shipments that followed. But they were from different sources and were half as strong at best and only got worse after the war. I wonder what tribe (they weren't Thai) grew the first shipment and what happened to them and their pot traditions, because no one seems to have these magic plants.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Question is placed exactly right here, cause here in this thread i see all 1970s Freaks telleing the same: it was strong herb out there. I want to ask especially These People if anyone know what is the important factor. Cause These People are the only ones wich can rate the Value of a given todays sativa right. They know weed is actually a hallucinogen. Atleast the lucky ones. So if anyone has any clue . I mean, is it probably the lack of human selection/exchange, wich one time acured, and then stopped with prophibition.. or is it that
stong Equatorial Landraces are Natural breeds, wich is dying trough human interaction and therefore nomore producing vivid highs..
Or is it that the weed in 70s was grown in equator, and when westerners make Holiday we never get ahold of the good stuff guarded by the wise Healers.. And when we grow some of remaining 70s seeds the lack of sunintensity makes it weak. Indoors Lights have unnatural Lightspectrum..
What is the important factor, or are the factors--

The sun was a very important factor. Bodhi says the same. Growing tropical or mountain grown seeds in a tent or away from the equator and not up high elevation, is gonna have you getting smoke that is not as trippy or intense for the most part.

I have grown heirlooms in my tent that were equal or better than some old time stuff, but that was the exception. Lot of the old strains require intense sun to really 'shine'.

Have heard they still have 'LSD' weed down in Mexico today. Bodhi and another guy I trust say the same thing. Makes me want to travel. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

romanoweed

We need People wich have closely watched two samples of Landraces . One wich was strong, and one wich was weak. Then based on their information we can sort out the possible factors for it. I ever hear, someone had a strong strain here and there still. But with no closer information, we cant get behind what was causing it.
The popup of some certain strains here and there makes me (only) want the strain. But not wanna hunt, cause the overall impression from our Holiday semms to be, Tripweed is nowhere to be found. I would never pay thousands, give my friends up, and hunt for years, risk my freedom for something that seems rather like the last remains. Probably good weed is guarded by the wise men, but i need to know, or it was constantly selected, and now no more as good. But i need to know.. Should i learn Language and Traditions to get Familyaccess, should i learn to make Junglexpeditions for wild Plants , or should i hang around in Cities, or small Villages to find something?
I wished bodhi or Snowhigh would share their insights, here, but i think they have a Garden awaiting them...

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
It was said the first shipment of Thai stick to the US was very high THC, tested at like 20% and its awesomeness created all the other shipments that followed. But they were from different sources and were half as strong at best and only got worse after the war. I wonder what tribe (they weren't Thai) grew the first shipment and what happened to them and their pot traditions, because no one seems to have these magic plants.

G`day GO

I have been asking similar questions .
Who grew it and where ?

CIA was very active in Laos .
They had a station near the Golden Triangle .
Had the Hmong swapping drugs for guns .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

sdd420

Veteran
If you have ever smoked haze well one hit and you were gone. Mostly so speedy you had paranoia and red eyes and could only wait it out. I smoked a pinner once before work and freaked out. I knew by the exhale it was heady and in seconds the paranoia came on. You think a shower will help but no way, as soon as they see you everyone knows and you are so toasted soon that you are zoning off ...what a trip mid 70 s

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Selections were always for faster maturing, all over, especially tropical places in the "Third World" everybody wants/needs $$$ and sixteen week bloom when there are 8 week alternatives with bling looks and gas fumes make more sense, quick turnover.

Maggotbrain

Hawaiian Puna Budder in 1978. Beautifully trimmed sativa buds the size of your finger. The first seedless bud I ever had. I took way more than one hit but one might have worked. I had to grab onto the door handle of the car i was standing next to just to make sure I was still connected to reality. A soaring, winding trip through the most distorted world I have experienced outside of an LSD trip. The meaning of everything I saw changed for an hour or so until it all slowly came back into focus and I started to be able to tell what was real and what was not. It was exhausting but I wish I had more of that shit right now. Who can stop at one hit anyway?

sillyphilly

Great read

Great read

While only being born in 71 i really dont have the knowledge of these strains accept from parents and my uncle who was in nam. But to me the thought provoking sativas from back then were far better then the one hit your asleep weed of today! Ive grown 100's of pounds of weed w my uncle who would just sit in the greenhouse drinking his piss warm beer, and smoke ourselves stupid. Hed tell us stories of the war and he was a bulldozer driver, he said a strain called Vietnamese black would be everywhere and he would hang a couple colas next to the engine to dry. He said it was like tar on a stick but got you so high you would almost forget what you were doin. As far as the piss warm beer he got accustomed to it due to the fact the wasnt much ice in nam out where he was. When he passed i was given his stash box from my aunt and there must be 200 seeds in there some in film cannisters some in tin foil but she said he couldnt find that box for dam near 40 years but when she cleaned out the house to sell she found it. I wonder 1 if they are viable and 2 is there anything like the vb he described in there? Thanx

romanoweed

sillyphilly

I strongly advice you to read Forums on how to germinate old Seeds. There are 2 o 3 Forums on how to do it with 30 Year old Seeds. Dont mess this up since old Vietnamese are the real deal, and you might have some of the last Remains. There are only 2 remaining Vietnamese Seedlines, wich are from 70s, a third died out couple years ago, but was alive not long ago.. All 3 Lines have Smokereports of highest order. They are very psychodelic. Newer Vietnamese i seem to hear arent the same in most of cases.
If you manage to germinate them, shure pollinate every Plant with every Plant, Attention when open pollinating with multiple males there might be predominance of early male, so maybe pollinate every female with every male by hand in different spots SEPARATE...

If you only get one single plant, i or some of my contacts may give you one of the 3 remaining vietnamese-Lines, to atleast preserve 50 Percent of these Genes. So, plan this worst case, trough contacting me, or i contact you for giving my contacts to you. Got it. ?

Good luck
I think if you get something, wich is possible even after 40 years, there is quiet good chance it is Gold!
Aswell, let them sit in a cool, but never too near of Freezing temperatures(they could die then), dont let to much moisture to them. Place Rice corn or silica-gel packet into the airthight container, to suck up moisture...

Links to the Forums for germination old seeds:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=327379

more to find..

There are more suche Threads on icmag. Sometimes you will have to use google to find things better, cause sometimes search-algorythm isnt perfect on icmag.. Google this frase, or similar:

germinating old seeds site:www.icmag.com

personal mail me on icmag if questions

Im'One

Most od what i smoked in the 1970s was fan leaves and ahake. Ocassionally i would get lucky...brother in law had some rhtat was laced with hash pil made in everclear.

It was typical back then for a person to not get off on the first time toking? Maybe most was so weak we had to get a build up of thc in their system?

romanoweed

Imone.
Ok, it might be weak too, forgot abit about the strongness/weakness of vietnamese in overall, but.. Atleast it CAN doo it for real, and rather only the untouched old Lines might be able to do that.

CaptainDankness

While only being born in 71 i really dont have the knowledge of these strains accept from parents and my uncle who was in nam. But to me the thought provoking sativas from back then were far better then the one hit your asleep weed of today! Ive grown 100's of pounds of weed w my uncle who would just sit in the greenhouse drinking his piss warm beer, and smoke ourselves stupid. Hed tell us stories of the war and he was a bulldozer driver, he said a strain called Vietnamese black would be everywhere and he would hang a couple colas next to the engine to dry. He said it was like tar on a stick but got you so high you would almost forget what you were doin. As far as the piss warm beer he got accustomed to it due to the fact the wasnt much ice in nam out where he was. When he passed i was given his stash box from my aunt and there must be 200 seeds in there some in film cannisters some in tin foil but she said he couldnt find that box for dam near 40 years but when she cleaned out the house to sell she found it. I wonder 1 if they are viable and 2 is there anything like the vb he described in there? Thanx

As long as they where kept dry theirs a good chance some will sprout. Just make sure you open pollinate them and gift or sell seeds I'm sure plenty of people would love to get ahold of old-school landrace Vietnam Black especially if it's as good as he claimed. Definitely spread them genetics,

White Beard

I stopped being curious about the “name” of the bag contents a while ago, when I realized the names were more for fun than for anything useful. I was fairly well connected until recently, but I found Blue Dream, Durban Poison, and Jack Herer disappointing.

I mean, they worked, but nothing so special as to deserve a name. It makes ‘learning’ about strains kind of a mess.

grayeyes

I can remember from the late '60's scoring some Michoacan that you couldn't roll a pinner small enough to get through. And it was psychodelic so you got all kinds of hallicinations with the fun.

Sure can't find anything that good anymore. Somewhere there has to be somebody from a farming family who stored seeds before Milhaus sprayed everything with Paraquat.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This was a fun thread to read, many thoughtful posts by knowledgeable folks.

Mr Greengenes ( RIP )

I know this quote was from 2017, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that 'rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!' Matter of fact, I have a 3 year old son*, so I'd like to hang around a couple more years!

I think the whole 'one hit' thing is forgetting that we had very potent hashish in the 70's too. As has already been pointed out, hash varied a lot depending on the genetics that went into it. Not all of it killed conversation and made you contemplate your navel. I recall the Red Lebanese as being quite social and fun to smoke with friends.