What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Industrial Hemp in Oregon

It's sometimes difficult to step back and appreciate the opportunity we have been given to fully explore all of our questions/hypotheses about cannabis breeding, but this week gave us pause. With as many irons in the fire as we have, good news and bad news abound in equal proportions, so it was with a lot of trepidation that we opened up the 3-week-overdue spreadsheet of test results sent to us by our lab last Wednesday. Let the roller coaster begin!

Our 5 "early" series varieties are verified as type III cannabis plants. We expected this, but confirmation is always necessary (more on this below). In my photoperiod sensitivity experiment on these lines, all 5 varieties started flowering at about 15 hours of daylight--that's mid-July at 45N. They are about 2.5 weeks into flowering now and have completely taken over their space--really looking forward to the next few weeks as they start to smell!

picture.php

We are stoked that our hypothesis re: photo sensitivity is again validated after our initial field trials last season: this is a breeding tool that allows ALL cannabis farmers to get their crops in earlier. We are very excited about the options that presents to us and other breeders. There will be additional experimental lines using this tool kit in our R&D field this summer (just flipped the greenhouse to produce these), including two different Haze hybrids converted to CBD production. I can't wait for these!

We also found out that one whole greenhouse was comprised of compromised plants--a final latent consequence of last season's massive cross-pollination event. It means 50 acres less in feminized seed production for us in 2017. Not stoked about that.

A couple of our leaf sample tests confused the hell out of the lab tech who ran them; there was barely any CBD, even less THC, and mostly some other compound--he thought their fancy new HPLC was busted. Nope, that's just a CBG-predominant plant...we're very happy, as this confirms another hypothesis we have been testing and opens up the door to large scale CBG farming next year. Look for the first commercial release of feminized CBG production seeds in the spring of 2018!

Testing accuracy remains a significant concern, even with our lab's incredibly rigorous ORELAP/NELAP certification. Case in point: as I mentioned in this thread, we received (what was purported to be) an extremely high ratio Cannatonic cut last summer from some friends out of Colorado. Their trimmed flowers tested at 20% CBD and 0.34% THC by a Colorado lab: a 58:1 ratio. We had a leaf sample tested by our lab immediately after receiving the plant, which produced an identical result of 58:1. Our friends flowered it out here in Oregon and produced trimmed flowers with 15% CBD and 0.62% THC (24:1). Confused, we submitted 5 new leaf samples for early ratio testing off of large, mature clones vegging in a greenhouse. Keep in mind these are identical plants...the results: 24:1, 68:1, 63:1, 23:1, and 154:1. Mean ratio in 5 samples: 66.4:1. That's 2.7x higher than we know this plant to be! A couple lessons embedded here: (1) do NOT trust test results from labs who are not required to be externally validated by competent certification bodies and (2) leaf sample ratios are great tools for identifying gross chemotype differences (i.e. type I, II, III, and IV plants), but are consistently inaccurate predictors of quantitative ratios. It's frustrating to know this, but will ultimately make us better at what we do.

The average ratios on our 5 "early" lines demonstrate how problematic this becomes when you are trying to provide the most accurate advice to farmers. We tested 61 plants total; the mean value for each variety was: 40.9, 28, 29.1, 32, and 39.2. Is this accurate? From what we know of these lines, it very well could be...but getting actual 40:1 averages in finished flowers isn't something we've been able to achieve from a breeding standpoint yet--who knows, maybe it's accurate. The lesson here is that, despite our best wishes and intentions, the only truly valid test for determining an average ratio for a variety requires large sample sizes and testing of finished flowers by an accredited lab. More to come on that front later in the spring.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
That's good to see that your early outdoor strains flowered around the same time indoors. That's a great way to pheno hunt for early outdoor strains it looks like!! Great work thus far :D

PDX Dopesmoker

Great experiment in light cycle manipulation, thats the first time I've ever seen anyone try that, thanks for posting up the info. That CBG result is almost as interesting, have you had any significant results with any other of the lesser (& as yet unscheduled) cannabinoids?

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dislike CBD as it delays onset of THC, reduces peak experience, and makes the reduced effects last longer. Not what I want. We did make the first high CBD only variety but not for recreational use, back in the 80's and 90's you could not get pure cannabinoids for standards besides THC, we wanted to change that. And allow others to work with all the cannabinoids, so we created sources for most of them.
-SamS
Sam,
Any chance you would release the high CBD only variety you developed? I understand it is not what you want, but for others it may be exactly what they want for anti-inflammatory or anti-seizure purposes.

Thank you.

Sam,
Any chance you would release the high CBD only variety you developed? I understand it is not what you want, but for others it may be exactly what they want for anti-inflammatory or anti-seizure purposes.

Thank you.

I don't think it is Sam's to give any more, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure all of those lines belong to GW now; they were the subject of this wonderful bit of news today:

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/leafly-exclusive-gw-pharma-moving-cbd-bills-low

Take a look at the research from de Meijer et al. over the years and you'll see that the market today contains better / more varied options for CBD production than GW could ever offer. Cannabis is too diverse to be pigeon-holed by any one person or company and it is at our own peril when we forget that. Regardless of how pretty the most recent developments are :)

picture.php

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Very pretty flower, S.

Your CBG result is interesting. Isn't that the precursor for both THC and CBD? If so then can resin from such a plant be easily converted to either one? Sounds like you have a genetic anomaly with that one.

R

Robrites

Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp

Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, in consultation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, has developed a Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp to inform the public how Federal law applies to activities associated with industrial hemp that is grown and cultivated in accordance with Section 7606 of the Agricultural Act of 2014. The purpose of this notice is to set forth the statement in its entirety.

Read the Rest

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, in consultation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, has developed a Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp to inform the public how Federal law applies to activities associated with industrial hemp that is grown and cultivated in accordance with Section 7606 of the Agricultural Act of 2014. The purpose of this notice is to set forth the statement in its entirety.

Read the Rest

All part of the same denial of existing federal law by the DEA. DEA MUST follow federal law and they (along with the USDA) are capriciously misinterpreting what Congress very clearly elucidated with Sec. 7606 in 2014 and the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016.

The response provided by the architect of federal hemp law (Sen. President Mitch McConnell) flatly challenges the DEA/USDA on this matter. He unequivocally states that both agencies are flagrantly in violation of federal law if they attempt to enforce their non-binding letter of guidance (i.e. christmas wish list). Full letter available here. Highly recommended reading to understand how this is playing out at the federal level.

Capriciously.
Elucidated.
Flatly.
Unequivocally.
Flagrantly.

What a dork. Sorry Robrites, my adjectives are for the DEA and I get fired up on my mandatory day away from the farm.

oldchuck

Veteran
I buy their caps right down town. A buck a cap which isn't too bad a price. I tend to trust their testing. I don't think 20mg is enough for a dose that would effectively treat my seizures. I bet you could get a lot more than 20 mg in a OO cap that is mostly coconut oil. I'd like a higher concentration and a cheaper price.

Hey Soc Ec:

Have you heard about these guys? The are killing it with their CBD pills...20mg CBD per capsule. Taking CBD hemp by storm here in VT... Thoughts?

Does your product/seeds/genetics compare with what they got going on? They claim to be 100% compliant THC wise lab testinging included....Which I find to be an issue with most CBD hemp providers.

www.greenmountaincbd.com

https://www.instagram.com/greenmountaincbd/

We watched them get things going all season on Instagram, wishing them nothing but the best (but no personal contact with them though). Their approach sounds like ours in terms of doing all of our own breeding work. We don't sell finished products, just raw flowers for extraction. Most of our lines from 2016 had a bit higher ratios, but 25:1 is respectable. 20 mg per capsule is fine for effective micro dosing, but, as oldchuck alludes to, it's not enough for more serious conditions.

Their final product is definitely below 0.3% THC, but that doesn't mean the flowers were. Vermont didn't have a testing protocol for 2016 (though that is likely to change), so there's not way to verify that independently.

Our favorite in-house from 2016 was JH-1. Results from the earliest harvest (fully seeded by a neighbor) can be found here; most of our flowers went for another 3 weeks before harvest and ended up around 14% CBD crop wide when flowers and leaves are stripped from the stalk. Our THC compliance test 30 days before harvest came in at 0.074%. Final THC concentrations depend on harvest time; compatibility of our genetics with each state law depends on testing / sampling requirements. Our 2016 lines can pass most state protocols; 100% of our clients passed their Oregon tests. Our 2017 and 2018 lines are designed for less restrictive testing regimes since that is where the market and laws are headed.

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Vermont only recently authorized some kind of testing and inspection program. Not clear how extensive that will be and I doubt they will have it going this season. Springing money for much will be difficult this year. State budgets are very tight, much apprehension about what might come out of Congress for a very blue state.

Their final product is definitely below 0.3% THC, but that doesn't mean the flowers were. Vermont didn't have a testing protocol for 2016 (though that is likely to change), so there's not way to verify that independently.

Our favorite in-house from 2016 was JH-1. Results from the earliest harvest (fully seeded by a neighbor) can be found here;

Soc Eco:
Couple of questions in relation to THC% in Green Mountains product. If their flower was in fact above 0.3% THC how would they go about getting their oil to test far below that value? Would they be diluting their product with straight coconut oil to reduce the THC level? If that was in fact the case I would assume that the overall CBD levels would be diluted as well. This could mean that their flower was a much higher CBD:THC ratio than 25:1 if they are selling diluted extract oil. I hear they make their full plant extract using coconut oil, pressure cookers and heat over time. Would this convert any THC to CBD to ensure their product tested low? I thought the final degradation of THC is CBN not CBD.

Also, I'm interested in your JH-1 cultivar but you mentioned it got pollinated by a neighbors hemp crop. Does that mean the seeds you have available are not true breeding JH-1? Do you have any idea if the hemp that pollinated your crop was high in CBD? Or do you have other "clean" locations for your breeding, seed production?

Thanks for any incite on this.

Soc Eco:
Would they be diluting their product with straight coconut oil to reduce the THC level?

This. Yes. Simple process.

If that was in fact the case I would assume that the overall CBD levels would be diluted as well. This could mean that their flower was a much higher CBD:THC ratio than 25:1

The ratio of CBD to THC stays the same...

Would this convert any THC to CBD to ensure their product tested low? I thought the final degradation of THC is CBN not CBD.

You are correct that THC turns to CBN and not CBD.

Also, I'm interested in your JH-1 cultivar but you mentioned it got pollinated by a neighbors hemp crop. Does that mean the seeds you have available are not true breeding JH-1? Do you have any idea if the hemp that pollinated your crop was high in CBD? Or do you have other "clean" locations for your breeding, seed production?

Thanks for any incite on this.

We have 6 separate R&D sites around Oregon, including greenhouses and large indoor spaces for winter breeding. 3 / 6 were hit with rogue pollen last season and the seed crops were discarded. JH-1 was our field production champ from last year, but we have 20+ varieties to trial this year. Many of those will be far superior. If you are serious about hemp production, please come visit us.

Is it really mid-March already??? I'm usually looking forward to spring, but this year I need a couple more months of short days to accomplish all the breeding work I wanted to get done. The backlog in lab tests has been particularly problematic this winter, as we end up waiting 3-4 weeks to ID high ratio plants in our F2 selections before we can advance them in our programs. Oh well, if you can't be patient and enjoy the process, what's the point?

With spring knocking on the door, we are getting all our irrigation supplies, compost, new equipment, etc. ordered and then waiting for fields to be dry enough to work. Large scale farming happens on a different time frame than I was used to when growing small numbers of plants. When things finally dry out enough to work the land, you have to be ready for 16 hour days for weeks on end to crank it out. Same is true on harvest, but you have to beat the rain; partially for mold, rot, and other actual plant issues, but mostly for equipment, personnel safety, and cover crop planting--fields quickly turn to swamps once the rain hits and you screw yourself over for the next season before it even starts.

The light cycle experiment with our "early" lines has been a smashing success in my mind and will allow us and other farmers to achieve that last goal: getting plants harvested before October in Oregon. The test plants pictured below are enjoying the equivalent of August 15th day length @ 45N. I am really looking forward to seeing our production field full of ripening flowers when everyone else is just starting to push clusters.

picture.php

oldchuck

Veteran
S, I'm wondering how you go about harvesting several acres of CBD hemp. I know modified combines are used for fiber and seed hemp but that seems inappropriate if your product is CBD flower heads. Seems like you would need a couple hundred field hands to bring in a big crop or is there some kind of farm tool that can do it behind a tractor.

S, I'm wondering how you go about harvesting several acres of CBD hemp. I know modified combines are used for fiber and seed hemp but that seems inappropriate if your product is CBD flower heads. Seems like you would need a couple hundred field hands to bring in a big crop or is there some kind of farm tool that can do it behind a tractor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL6EDOMj80H/?taken-by=oregoncbd

All by hand last season in Oregon. At our main farm, we harvested two rows at a time. One person with big pruning loppers per row cutting plants in front of our tractor, 2-3 people tossing the plants onto a very large tarp being pulled behind the tractor. Rows are 1200' long, so we'd end up with pretty big stacks of plants on the tarp by the end. We could fit 4 rows at a time in our truck.

A wagon pulled behind the tractor makes more sense, but we were harvesting real late in the season and the field was just too muddy for anything other than a tarp. Things will be different this season for sure...our production scale is increasing dramatically, requiring a significant change in our harvesting and drying procedures.

We had to make some big achievements in plant breeding to make this feasible; now that we can count on our plants to be harvestable at a particular time, we can guarantee good field conditions for larger harvesting equipment like this one, used for tobacco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dEvL4Se48c

We are also experimenting with combines on our high CBD autoflowering plants this summer. Acreage and details TBD soon.

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Thanks, S. That tobacco harvester looks interesting. Treats the leaves quite gently. Some modifications required, I suppose, for hemp. I wonder about a combine though. Seems like it would be difficult to avoid a lot of flower damage.

cravin morehead

Veteran
this thread is so interesting. I am just now looking into cbd for treating joint pains in some people I know and my aging dogs. thanks for putting up all this great info. now I gotta start reading

cm