What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST TIME YOU TRIED COLUMBIAN GOLD ?

I bought a Z of C Gold when I was in the Navy back in 1974. Got it from a dude in a pool hall in North Chicago. After all these years I can honestly say that I have never smoked anything better. That was just wonderful trippy weed, and the flavor........exquisite!

" Nice buzz , but probably only 1/3 as strong as modern good stuff."

I am sorry but by making that statement, I know that you could not have ever smoked CG. There is nothing today that compares to the CG of the 70's (or the thaistick). Today's best compares to some rainbow colombian, at best.

I smoked plenty of CG between 74-77, and maybe early 78. After that, it stopped coming in as the fields went to coca leaves, or were destroyed. The last CG was Orange with plenty of seeds. I got a lb. for $500 in columbus, Ohio, and in 15 minutes 12 z's were gone for $40. I apologized for having to charge that much.

A tiny pin joint rolled with club papers would devastate 4 people. Regardless of how strong your lungs were, you coughed your ass off from the expansion, and stayed high for 3 hours. If today's best weed measures at 25-30% THC, the CG was at 50% THC. It was a treat for the ages. There is nothing like it today. I do not know if it is the soil, the sun, seeds etc....I would pay $1000/z for that today, with the seeds and all.

starke

1975. Gainesville FL. A truly exceptional high. Made the famous "Gainesville Green" of that era seem like mex brick. I was only able to get it a few times. Sure wish it was around today.

I wood

The first time I will try it will be 5 to 7 months after I run across some seeds or a cutting.

I'm loving the Colombian black from Bodhi, and the crosses I've made with it.

EastFortRock

Santamartagold , I agree that the CG went away somewhere in 1978 , but I stand by the 1/3 as strong as my Modern stuff. Maybe the Colombian Gold we got in the 1970's in Minnesota wasn't the good stuff , because the Tai Stick was stronger and the Colombian Red I got was stronger too. Couldn't beat the flavor of that "so called " Colombian Gold.

Lemonhoko

Santamartagold , I agree that the CG went away somewhere in 1978 , but I stand by the 1/3 as strong as my Modern stuff. Maybe the Colombian Gold we got in the 1970's in Minnesota wasn't the good stuff , because the Tai Stick was stronger and the Colombian Red I got was stronger too. Couldn't beat the flavor of that "so called " Colombian Gold.

Then you didnt smoke the real Gold.

I helped distribute kilos of Gold, Red...., Thai, chocolate, lemon, tied on sticks dipped in opinium...or loose.
Came right off the boats in Olympia harbor....

The gold back in the mid 70's was epic....wish we had the same effects from modern day strains.

~Lem

Thank you Lem. Your response is accurate.

EastForkRock - How would you compare the thaistick and Colombian red to today's best weed?

Today's best compares to maybe the Colombian Rainbow we were getting back then. Even then. today's best is missing an aspect of the high from back then. Perhaps it is because money drives today's weed. You have to grow it as fast as possible today to maximize value. Add to that the equatorial sun, soil, seeds etc..and you get a big difference.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
that was the "golden era" of ganja.........nothing compares in today's marketplace.........the highs were so enjoyable........CG......was one that brought energy and laughing fits for few hr's...........eyes would swell red and life was good........

miss those daze............

ganj on..............................

St. Phatty

Sounds like it's worth trying.

Is it as simple as ordering a South American Sativa from World of Seeds ?

Is Colombian Sativa basically a Haze buzz ?

mushroombrew

Veteran
I remember thinking how much better the heavily seeded pot was compared to pot without many seeds.

I used to get brick from a guy in Brighton UK. We nick named him "stick" for obvious reasons LOL

Anyway I would bitch about seeds and he would say

"At least you know your are smoking bud!"

And I was. Hence, it was better than bricks with no seeds.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
First time I saw Columbian Gold around Norfolk/Virginia Beach on the east coast was around late 1973..

Damn, it was some good weed.
At the time, most weed was about $20 an ounce. Good Jamaican had been around a few years and was about $25.
The Columbian gold was selling for $30 an ounce...Outrageous! but it was worth it!

It was gone within 6 months or so and the Columbian "Redbud" replaced it.. Damn good weed, but not as good as the gold..

Around late 1974, Goldbud was back again, but it wasn't the same.
I think the cartels had learned that the goldbud would sell, so they figure out how to "sunbleach" it so it would look the same, but it was NOT the same grass!

I sure wish I had saved seeds form the original Goldbud and Redbud....

igrowone

Veteran
First time I saw Columbian Gold around Norfolk/Virginia Beach on the east coast was around late 1973..

Damn, it was some good weed.
At the time, most weed was about $20 an ounce. Good Jamaican had been around a few years and was about $25.
The Columbian gold was selling for $30 an ounce...Outrageous! but it was worth it!

It was gone within 6 months or so and the Columbian "Redbud" replaced it.. Damn good weed, but not as good as the gold..

Around late 1974, Goldbud was back again, but it wasn't the same.
I think the cartels had learned that the goldbud would sell, so they figure out how to "sunbleach" it so it would look the same, but it was NOT the same grass!

I sure wish I had saved seeds form the original Goldbud and Redbud....

i remember the bleached shit
but didn't know that was what they did, makes sense now that you explained it
old mystery falls to science so to speak

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First time I smoked really good Colombian Gold was around a month ago. From my USC Colombian Gold '72 plants grown indoors.

The first imported CG in '79 was a disappointment to tell the truth. Picked early and not pure in my opinion, but still an up high and ok. I can only imagine how good the current stuff would be if I could grow it outside at high altitude. It is still great though.

Snowhigh has a CG '72 seed line of his own. I have those seeds in the fridge. He says the Colombians changed the CG for regular pot and sun bleached it to sell as Colombian Gold, somewhere around mid to late seventies. They also left the males in the field to seed the crop so as to make it weigh more.

So a lot of older peeps have never even had the real thing is what he is saying. Based on what I have experienced he is right.

EastFortRock

First time I smoked really good Colombian Gold was around a month ago. From my USC Colombian Gold '72 plants grown indoors.

The first imported CG in '79 was a disappointment to tell the truth. Picked early and not pure in my opinion, but still an up high and ok. I can only imagine how good the current stuff would be if I could grow it outside at high altitude. It is still great though.

Snowhigh has a CG '72 seed line of his own. I have those seeds in the fridge. He says the Colombians changed the CG for regular pot and sun bleached it to sell as Colombian Gold, somewhere around mid to late seventies. They also left the males in the field to seed the crop so as to make it weigh more.

So a lot of older peeps have never even had the real thing is what he is saying. Based on what I have experienced he is right.

What I thought was Colombian Gold in the late 70's must have been the sun bleached stuff , because I never thought it was super strong, just decent. I remember the smell being incense and tasted great.

EastFortRock

EastForkRock - How would you compare the thaistick and Colombian red to today's best weed?

I don't know much about today's best weed . My Trainwreck that I just grew kind of reminds me of Thai , similar buzz as far as I remember , but the Thai was more fruity and less menthol than Trainwreck. The Colombian Red was my buddy's bag (back in 1979 I think) and I remember it being more mental and scary than anything I have had anytime in later years.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

It would be nice to have them side by side, e.g. 70's Colombian freshly grown, and new Sativa genetics, e.g. Apollo 11 or Cinderella.

Sounds like the Colombian has great taste - as does the Apollo/Cind.

Freedom Haze is a Haze cross from Freedom of Seeds. Maybe as close as I've gotten recently to something Colombian-Sativa-ish.

Colombian Gold must be "top 10", or we wouldn't be talking about it.

One of the South American sativa's I've really enjoyed is what happens when you grow out 100 seeds from decent Mexican press-brick mersh. I did that in the late 90's, and one Skunk Sativa that resulted was super - resiny, vigorous, Skunk smell.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
speaking of Col.Red..........frieds cut of the Colombian Rojo Haze is a winner.........not pure C.Red, but mighty fine gear..........

ganj on........

H

hard rain

Sounds like it's worth trying.

Is it as simple as ordering a South American Sativa from World of Seeds ?

Is Colombian Sativa basically a Haze buzz ?
So can anyone answer this? World of Seeds has a Columbia Gold hybrid supposedly 2 Santa Marta varieties.

Has anyone got any info? Or would I be better trying the Ace Panama as someone else suggested?