Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > pH 5.2 vs 6.2?

Thread Title Search
Advertise on ICMag - Click for more info
pH 5.2 vs 6.2? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 AM #1
sativo

sativo is on a distinguished road
pH 5.2 vs 6.2?

Hello

I have a question that I was hoping one of you more experienced growers might be able to answer for me. The question is: Is it possible to get better yields setting pH to 5.2 as opposed to 6.2? It appears that the plants could benefit from the extra phosphorus that is to be had here, as opposed to 6.2 where phosphorus appears to be a bit locked out of the picture. Thanks in advance everyone

Nevermind, everybody, I got it, thank you.
sativo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM #2
Hempsmoke

Hempsmoke will become famous soon enoughHempsmoke will become famous soon enough
Actually i think 5.2 is a bit low and would reccomend at least a ph of 5.5.
And one of the great benefits of coco is that you can let the ph swing between 5.5 and 6.2 and if you look at the plants carefully you will recognize which ph they like the most.
A ph of 5.8-5.9 works for me pretty nice, but it depends on the conditions and the genetics i guess.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 AM #3
teemu shalanie
WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN

teemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to all
I rock 5.8 for coco

tS
teemu shalanie is offline Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM #4
RedBeardy5

RedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura about
a ph of 5.2 will cause the leaves to start curving.
RedBeardy5 is offline Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 AM #5
hereigrow

hereigrow will become famous soon enoughhereigrow will become famous soon enough
I think it depends if your drain to waste or recirculating res...in any case 5.2 will cause problems ime. Dtw I alternate 5.5 and 5.8 looosely. 5.5 for cal and 5.8 to access mag. Recerculating I would let the ph swing from 5.5 to 6.0 and reset at 5.5 with every fresh res...
hereigrow is offline Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 AM #6
sativo

sativo is on a distinguished road
Wow, so much I did not know. So, 5.8? Really? I thought this was not a good range, specifically because of the low magnesium levels.
sativo is offline Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM #7
hereigrow

hereigrow will become famous soon enoughhereigrow will become famous soon enough

Your welcome
hereigrow is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:18 AM #8
Xanode

Xanode is on a distinguished road
so according to the very last graph, there's a cal/mag spike right at 5.2, as well as everything else, only thing a little low is manganese

I've been running 5.2 with canna ab, and RO water on a test clone, which comes out at 5.2 without PHing it upon making up the mix. The little plant is doing great, not a single sign of any cal/mag issues

Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM #9
RB56

RB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of lightRB56 is a glorious beacon of light
I just came out of a situation where I was accidentally feeding at 5.2 for a month or so. I was doing improvements to the room, trying to keep the veg room going and my pH pen died and I didn't believe what the drops were telling me. . Plants did not like! They're coming back after a few weeks at 5.8-6.1 but growth was seriously stunted and there was lots of leaf necrosis. No way they could go any further at 5.2. I'll always keep a backup pH pen on the shelf going forward.
RB56 is offline Quote

Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 PM #10
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to beholdDouglas.Curtis is a splendid one to behold
'Proper' pH depends on the type of system your plants are in.

Roots-out systems, where the roots dry out between waterings, have a natural pH drop during the dry out period. 'Proper' pH range will vary with each system but top and bottom pH (edit: of your nutrient solution) will generally be 5.5 to 6.1.

Roots-In systems, where the roots are constantly exposed to the nutrient system, do not have a 'dry out' induced pH swing. Best results are obtained by setting the pH at 5.4 and letting the pH naturally rise as the plants eat nutrients. Res size determines how fast this swing occurs. 5.4 - 5.8 is where you're going to find the best results with these systems.

Just figured I'd clarify.

Last edited by Douglas.Curtis; 01-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Nutrient and root zone pH differ
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.