Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Twilight Labs
A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 AM #31
siftedunity
cant re Member

siftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to beholdsiftedunity is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
nice write-up. coco is great, the most flexible medium imo. canna is ok, im not crazy about the consistency, bunch of little balls basically. clumps up. cut it with croutons or a stringier coir like sunshine or botanicare. only ones i havent got gnats from is canna and botanicare.

i keep moms in coco. too easy. floranova 5ml per gal and done. cut em back, root prune, repot every so often to keep them vigorous and healthy. lot easier than dealing with soil or hydro setups in buckets or trays.

gotta say though hgo, the hydroton layer at the bottom of your pots is counterproductive. a layer on top isnt a bad idea but not really necessary but at the bottom all it does is raise the perched water table. you would be better off with more coco there instead. try it sometime.
i dunno if i agree with the last statement, standard pots with the limited amount of holes does actually stop it draining very quickly if you add the layer of hydroton at the bottom it leaves the drainage hole more open to drain any excess water.
siftedunity is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 AM #32
Mister_D

Mister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to beholdMister_D is a splendid one to behold
Great post HGO . Can't rep ya right now, but K+ buddy.

D's Vertical Redemption (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....57#post4840157

D's Gone Hunting (In limbo)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post5941311

Cannafornia Seeds Caliente Kong & Alaskan Thunder Kong Test Thread (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....15#post6280215

D's DIY Automated Vertical Feed and Drain System
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....90#post6323290

""Get It Fucking Done. It’s the truth, it’s the one thing you learn real fast in life is that nobody gives a fucking shit about excuses and the sooner you learn that nobody really gives a fuck about you, that you need to get off your ass and make shit happen then the better off everyone will be""". - Zakk Wylde
Mister_D is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 AM #33
roll it large
Coco-grower

roll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of lightroll it large is a glorious beacon of light
the hydroton in the pots also leap the larvae springtails etc from your pots when you water some old growers in the usa use this method but with chunky perlite instead they call em coco sammies

they uses bales and amend there coco

in the uk its bug central with cannacoco for me, airpots create a similar scenario to the hydroton with the raised bottom the springtails flush straight out and find it hard to get back in

again i can only echo what hgo is saying about pot size it seems for multi plants 6 plus per light over 6.5ltr is a waste of medium

like dhf said theres no definitive rules to coco but this is most definately a leap in the right direction

peace and vibes

my 1000w multistrain grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221877

round 2 mix grow inc kalishnapple & agent orange
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=226020
roll it large is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM #34
DHF

All this shit originates in Sri Lanka for the most part , and has from the get....for the plant growing community that is........Legal or not...but ....

Who uses more coco than us....and they know it....That`s why they give 2 fucks on quality control........

Guaranteed Canna has the best quality control program to hydrate , dry , and sift out the coffee grounds dust , as well as pre-charging the expensive bags to provide for the CEC/holding onto ca/mag till a certain level is built up before releasing it back to the plants ftw......now...

It`s Calcium Nitrate , or Calcium Citrate that different manufacturers spike their shit with to charge those outrageous prices for the clean stuff.....but.....

It definitely makes a difference in nutrient profiles for the plants once they`re established....so....I wish these idiots could treat all the shit the same and charge decent prices for "exactly" the same product across the board ......but no......

All about profit margins and as little done on each and every end product for advertising and distribution for the bottom line.....and....

That`s why there`s so many inconsistencies in this medium that`s still in it`s infancy and yet to be given the credit it`s due for hydroponic like yields once dialed and hoonin.....

I`m hopeful for better manufacturer quality control in the future.....but not holdin my breath.....

Caveat Emptor....Let the buyer beware....and learn what it takes for coco to give excellent results before jumpin head first and killin or dwarfing buncha plants with shit for yields.........or....just use Canna and pay for it cuz......

HGO`s killin it with it......but....

Still learn a copy of the rules if shit goes sideways and needs help.....

Peace....DHF...........

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM #35
habeeb
follow your heart

habeeb has disabled reputation
thing is, putting hydroton in the bottom does not assist in drainage at all

you could be using even smaller containers, which you mentioned which people really need to pay attention to when using coco.. and not messing with hydroton in the process...
habeeb is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM #36
nickdiaz209

nickdiaz209 is on a distinguished road
Nice pots mate, giving the hydroton at the bottom a go but keeping it coco ontop because I like to get them to dry out a bit more than most seem to do around here. Cheers for the ideas
nickdiaz209 is offline Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM #37
BlueHaze

BlueHaze will become famous soon enoughBlueHaze will become famous soon enoughBlueHaze will become famous soon enough
5 gallon for 2 lb tree
BlueHaze is offline Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 PM #38
Izoc666

Izoc666 will become famous soon enough
Great read about DTW ! thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM #39
Arminius
"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"

Arminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to allArminius is a name known to all
Heya HGO,
Do you think it is possible to set up coco DTW with #2 smart pots? I know a bucket with a drain would be ideal, just not sure what kind of runoff, and floods I should expect with saucers and smart pots...

Original Glue #4, GSC Forum Cut, AC/DC (20:1 CBD)
Arminius is offline Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 AM #40
Moppel
Grower for Life

Moppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to allMoppel is a name known to all
good thread.

Moppel is online now Quote