What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maximising the rec legal 4 plant limit

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
How's it going, fellow Oregonian?

I'm currently running my rec 4 plant set up in a 4x4 tent with a 600w closed hood. Coco+Blumats+Lucas formula. I'm fairly satisfied with how smoothly things go and how hands off everything is, but the veg+bloom times only really gives me 3 crops per year.

I'm trying to maximise the 4 plant limit, but also up my total harvests. What would be the best way to go about this?

I'm thinking about switching to a 2x4 tent with 2x 300w LED units. Flower 2 plants at a time perpetually, 35 days apart and have a seperate veg tent. Basically, every 35 days I'd harvest 1 plant, move 1 plant from veg into the flo chamber and also get some clones ready.

Amy I missing a trick? Is there a better/easier way to achieve what I'm after? I'm still planning on sticking with Coco+Blumats due to the hands-off nature of the set up.

Outdoor isnt an option, as out back yard isn't fenced in.

Many thanks!

PDX Dopesmoker

I bet you could still save yourself a few hundred in electricity over the summer vegging outdoors. Never heard of rippers coming for veg plants.

Oregon law says that outdoor grows must be fenced. I would suggest though that you consider building a fenced in area next summer. Well maintained outdoor plants can yield 1 to 2 lbs each.

There are several ways that you could increase your yield indoors. Running seperate veg and flowering tents is one way to do that. It can be hard to get the timing down for a perpetual harvest system though. It will take you some time to get in the swing of it, so don't be disappointed or get discouraged if it is not smooth at first. I would also suggest vegging for more than 35 days. I like to let my vegging plants go at least 6-8 weeks before they are put into flowering. As you will only have 2 plants flowering at a time, you can veg longer to get them bigger. Increasing your light in your flowering tent would also increase your yield. I run a 1000W in a 4 x 4 tent and don't think it is overkill in the slightest.

You can start the perpetual any time you like and set up the harvesting times however you want. Although with only 4 flowering plants you are kind of limited.

As an example start a clone every month. Have veg times equal to flowering times so say 8-10 weeks. This will give you bigger plants with more yield and you can harvest one every month.

The 4 plant limit sucks but just have each clone be a different kind for variety sake and each plant should yield enough to last you for a bit.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Perpetual + sourcing outside clones == recipe for disaster or poison. When (not if) you get an outbreak of something from a clone, you'll either have to tear out everything infected (usually means dumping everything in the perpetual flower) OR use some kind of organic or inorganic poisons.

4 plant limit is definitely a limit. Any way you could work your way up to 4 cabs, one cab for each plant? Hepa filtered intakes and outtakes (made from furnace filters) will keep infections/pollen separated.

:)

mushroombrew

Veteran
2 cabs or tents/rooms with 2 plants in each. Scrog both.

Flower one.

When you harvest you flip the other room. Take clones. 2 weeks in cloner and 6-8 weeks veg depending on your flower time in other room. Flip flop two rooms. As big as you can fit/afford. The right strain will fill any space.

So you will have 5-6 harvests per year depending on strain.

Outside clones will bring trouble. I have yet to get a clean clone in OR. It's terrible. I quarantine everything.

WishDoctor

start yer outdoor clones now.
I set in 6' tall clones every may 1st and harvest 6+lb of top shelf nugs from each plant.
My trees were 12' tall last season 12' round, I had 26lbs of cured nugs from our 4 rec plan
we have been packaging all processed extracts, oil, vape cartridges, and edibles from the 48 plant grow this week
you can do it

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
5 lights vertical bare bulbs in an X patern
4 plants in large-er pots (think 7-15 gallons) in a diamond pattern between the bulbs
8x8 bloom space or larger

EastFortRock

If I was going to do perpetual growing , my veg plants wouldn't even be in a tent , just a light and a fan in a part of the house where the light wouldn't annoy me.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
good on ya' cabinet ninja for deciding to grow your own
this sounds like it could be fun and i hope i can help
so how much space do you have?
how much smoke would you like to produce
/i know you mentioned a tent, but is that tent in its own room?
how many watts do you think you would be comfortable running?
(watts=$$$)
how many clones, babies can you legally have?
ever grown before?

just some questions to get you thinking
best of luck!

MedResearcher

Veteran
Had a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to chime in, about the 4 rec plants.

From what I could find, your only allowed to possess 8 ounces in your home. If your 4 plants yield more than 8 ounces, are you technically breaking the law?

Also, are you required to pay/sign up to be able to grow your 4 plants?

Thanks,
Mr^^

Jhhnn

Veteran
Gotta go with Miles. You'll maximize yield with longer veg times in more space. If you want to keep it simple then growing one batch after another does that. This might be inspirational-

New 6 plant Gettotree setup. - Indoor Grows - Hydro - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

I can appreciate that a person might not want to take it that far, but it's a possibility.

You can speed up the cycle time if you can find a source of clean clones rather than growing from fem seed every time. You can do the same thing if somebody else will do the veg work in a smaller space. Using seed, you may want to fudge the numbers when they're small to avoid runts. 4 plants total is extremely restrictive compared to CO but you can probably grow enough from a 4x4 for a couple to basically stay baked unless you're extremely generous with your friends. If you can't produce 2lbs/yr then you're not doing it well.

PDX Dopesmoker

Had a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to chime in, about the 4 rec plants.

From what I could find, your only allowed to possess 8 ounces in your home. If your 4 plants yield more than 8 ounces, are you technically breaking the law?

Also, are you required to pay/sign up to be able to grow your 4 plants?

Thanks,
Mr^^

You are breaking the law with more than the limit in you home, but they're talking about "usable marijuana" so thats 8z of dried trimmed smoking quality bud not 8z untrimmed wet. The rules on seeds are the ones to watch out for. I have no idea how much jail time my seed collection could be worth but it might be a lot under state rules as I probably have a few hundred seeds and the limit is 10.
Did I say probably? I mean probably not, I just counted and I only have ten seeds.
There is also a lot more leeway with bud, you have to go a lot over 8z for it to be more than a misdemeanor and you also have to give them reasonable cause to search your home just like anything else. Every home in the state has the right to grow their 4 plants and you don't need to register and the 4 plants only counts flowering females so you can keep your moms and veg your starts while the 4 selected are flowering.

Jhhnn

Veteran
You are breaking the law with more than the limit in you home, but they're talking about "usable marijuana" so thats 8z of dried trimmed smoking quality bud not 8z untrimmed wet. The rules on seeds are the ones to watch out for. I have no idea how much jail time my seed collection could be worth but it might be a lot under state rules as I probably have a few hundred seeds and the limit is 10.
Did I say probably? I mean probably not, I just counted and I only have ten seeds.
There is also a lot more leeway with bud, you have to go a lot over 8z for it to be more than a misdemeanor and you also have to give them reasonable cause to search your home just like anything else. Every home in the state has the right to grow their 4 plants and you don't need to register and the 4 plants only counts flowering females so you can keep your moms and veg your starts while the 4 selected are flowering.

I'm not sure that last sentence is correct wrt flowering females & mother plants. All the info I can find says 4 plants, period-

http://whatslegaloregon.com/#8oz-vs-1oz

I'm in CO, not OR, so I'm not sure how it is there. I would be if I lived there.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Thanks PDX.

Thats crazy about the seeds, 1 seeded flower would have more than 10. Maybe you can keep em in the pantry, like they are health food.

So strict, seems hard to grow for purely personal use and stay in the rules.

Mr^^

Jhhnn

Veteran
Thanks PDX.

Thats crazy about the seeds, 1 seeded flower would have more than 10. Maybe you can keep em in the pantry, like they are health food.

So strict, seems hard to grow for purely personal use and stay in the rules.

Mr^^

Oregon's rules are just plain weird. It's what happens when people who don't know anything about wheels try to reinvent the thing. I think it's possible to grow your own under those rules but a person has to think differently in order to tow the line in doing so. It becomes an issue of how much is enough.

It's considerably more straightforward here in CO. Everybody should have it so good.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ya, sort of a bummer.

Ideally for me, grow 4 trees outside once a year and done with it. Have leftovers by the time its harvest again. Which is good, because some years are better than others. A good year would help out through a bad one.

I would assume the LEO are pretty busy, and most likely wont mess with someone who is really not selling. Although I just watched a video of some Oregon LEO ram this guy with a tank, then shoot him dead (he did have a rifle). Would hate to think they might bring a tank if you have a good harvest year.

Mr^^

robbiedublu

Not sure where you are in Oregon, but in Portland and suburbs the police basically spend no time paying any attention to small growers. It was true in Portland even before legalization and even more true now. Don't talk about it, don't give the police any other reason to come into your house, and do whatever you want within reason.
Try to find any news story about a grower in Oregon being busted for having a few too many plants.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it were me & i HAD to run them indoors .... I'd have 4 4x 4 tents with a 1000 watts in each one .
you could harvest 1 plant per month if you get the timing right . 50 days of veg & 70 days of flower in each tent , started a month apart from each other .
start the first tent with a clone transplanted into its final pot & put that in veg , one month later you do the same thing with the second tent , one month later you set up the 3rd tent , one month later you set up the 4th tent & harvest the first one & have your clone ready to go in the first one to start the cycle again .
the right strain & you could do 2lbs a month & only ever have 4 plants going at once .

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
Thank you all for your replies!
I just bought a house where outdoor will be possible, but the back yard is North/West facing. I'm thinking about putting a greenhouse out there and running a light dep to get an extra crop in during the outdoor season.
if that doesn't yield at all, I'll be back to my indoor grow and back to figuring this dilema out!