What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

where to get good recreational in denver?

mtntrogger

Veteran
I live about an hour and a half away , but I would say NOT any dispensary I ve been to ...except maybe the Purple Dragon , but not sure if they are rec. The best flowers are def coming from the smaller growers. hash I think the shops may have a higher likelyhood of finding quality

X

xavier7995

I haven't had much luck myself finding really high end weed in the shops. There are plenty of good values out there though. Sacred Seed has been the only place I found anything I thought was special, and that was after going through like 20 jars and then only a few times.

I have heard good things about the l'eagle delivery services products, but i believe they are on the pricey side.

You could just hit the places that have a big selection and just be that customer that demands to see every single strain.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I was out there last year, and the selection was terrible. I checked a few different places, and none of them had anything worth writing home about. I don't remember any of the shops names. It doesn't matter how fancy your shop is, if your product is terrible.

Everyone I know out there still depends on their local connections.

pahval

Geez, feelin kinda jealous of you, here i am, with my friend who is fighting cancer, not able to find someone with enough weed to make oil or to buy some, to fight it... cops made some huge busts here in croatia, and there is no more weed anywere... tried to find someone here to help me, but i need 50 posts at least to PM hahahaha...

Although I am from CA, I lived out in CO in 2009 & 2010 to build several cultivation centers. I have to admit, the overall quality from various dispensaries were commercial grade or 'good enough' grade at best. There were some great smaller growers like Red Beard, but overall, the sentiment was 'grow as much as possible in the fastest fashion possible'. In 2013, that was pretty much the worse year of quality at the dispensary level ever in Denver...to the point, where I thought Colorado was a wrap. HOWEVER, this past month, I had a meeting with Surna in Boulder, and decided to stop by various dispensaries. Freshly Baked was pretty good...they had the old school Master Kush that was smelling really nice, the taste was also smooth and effect was there. In Denver, I really liked Natural Remedies, almost all of their gear was straight FIRE. I have to say...Colorado is looking a lot stronger than ever before!

mtntrogger

Veteran
The shops dont have time to do a nice, long, slow cure the way us small growers can , Its all about how fast they can turn the product into money (they gotta keep them lights on !) I personally dont "release" my flowers for sale until they have been curing close to 2 months. The added attention to curing produces smoke that is soo much smoother, thus allowing me to smoke much more ! With Shop herb, I cant smoke nearly as much, because of how much harsher it tends to be on the throat . I like to smoke ALOT !

X

xavier7995

I would agree that the problem is just due to demand and time constraints they are under. Talked with one of the primary growers at the dispensary I like and he clearly knew his stuff...but yeah, have to get product on the shelves and it does show through. Another aspect is consumers prefer machine trimmed buds because they look nicer, but you sure lose an awful lot with that process.

edit: Does anyone have info regarding how to become a private grower or how to grow for a small private group of med patients or something along those lines? Moved out here last year but haven't really had much luck meeting folks to try and branch out into the industry.

Dready_jake

I would agree that the problem is just due to demand and time constraints they are under. Talked with one of the primary growers at the dispensary I like and he clearly knew his stuff...but yeah, have to get product on the shelves and it does show through. Another aspect is consumers prefer machine trimmed buds because they look nicer, but you sure lose an awful lot with that process.

edit: Does anyone have info regarding how to become a private grower or how to grow for a small private group of med patients or something along those lines? Moved out here last year but haven't really had much luck meeting folks to try and branch out into the industry.

Ya. I too have been trying to find specifics on being a caregiver for a handful of people because of the garbage the shady dispos put out. But with going back to school I haven't had time at all...

mtntrogger

Veteran
It fairly simple to be a care giver, all the info is on the CO health page. Basically you get your med card, and have people with cards sign there "rights" to you. Or go through a shop .

X

xavier7995

Thank you for the response, I will look into it. It sort of fell by the wayside since i kept finding all sorts of conflicting information. Would like to eventually look into doing something as a full job, but growing as a caregiver seems like something I could do now as an introduction to the industry and in my spare time.

edit for below: I didn't like the clinic on the rec side much, but haven't been for 6+ months. It is the priciest I have seen on the rec side, the product is pretty decent...but not for the money. They also had the sample jar and then sealed preweighed packages system, while not really an issue as they do have and care about their reputation, I try to avoid places that do that.

edit again: totally not knocking their product, it is very good, but it is definitely priced accordingly. With a bit of looking, you can find comparable product for half the price. however, if you just want to get something really good and not worry about cost, then they would be a good spot to check out.

Last edited:

HarvestMoon303

I have had good luck with The Clinic (a chain) on their med side. They are also the ones who sell/"developed" the reserva privada (DNA) seeds. Their wax is insanely good. Prices were really high (for Med) the last time that I was there, but it's been a year.

Ingski

If you make a bit of a drive to Boulder, 14er is my favorite place in CO. $55 a quad and DANNNNK weed. Denver used to have this place called CAM, but the owner fucked up (did some illegal shit) and screwed up a good thing for everyone.

There is definitely dank weed out there, but I find it to be expensive typically. 50-60+ an eighth for great weed, rarely tax in. Let me know if you find any places you like a lot. Cannamart is alright, green man cannabis has some good pot too. Alpine has some cheap but good oil/wax.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I have had good luck with The Clinic (a chain) on their med side. They are also the ones who sell/"developed" the reserva privada (DNA) seeds. Their wax is insanely good. Prices were really high (for Med) the last time that I was there, but it's been a year.

This was the only place I would spend any money on my recent CO trip. Some edibles from AMA but just refused to buy any flowers until I got to the clinic. The deathstar was like a sweet sour d, just not as loud.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
In a recent trip to Denver we were sadly disappointment when it came to dispensary nugs. Lots of small, slightly oxidized flowers. No smell...Looks like scraps at the end of a pound. About $25/8th (rec).... lots of freebies like tshirts, papers, lighter, small glass bowl. This was 420 weekend so perhaps this was a promo.

We did find a few varieties that were just OK.

The OG-18 from Denver Relief was pretty potent. Their Bio-diesel on the other hand was pretty poor. This is the same parents as the original Deathstar apparently, but this particular bag was nothing to write home about. We gave it away.

I fell in love with the Chem Wreck from Botanica. Smelled and tasted great even if the potency wasn't extremely high.

Still nothing like our local quality grower to grower. I'm not even quite sure how they grew buds this small. LED grows or something?

None the less, a great trip and quite the experience. We checked out 3D dispensary or something of that sort to see their viewing corridor. Their flowers were worse then anything I'd seen, but it was cool to see some live plants while we were out there.

Actually angers me a bit to see this environment all while I have friends behind bars for simple cultivation. Worlds apart yet we live in the same country.. Keep it up Colorado!

I just don't see great cheap but in the recreational side of things. Better to do a small setup or a couple outdoor plants(need to be locked up somehow though). I don't think we will see it soon either. Top shelf is not impressive after having a decent indoor garden.

X

xavier7995

In a recent trip to Denver we were sadly disappointment when it came to dispensary nugs. Lots of small, slightly oxidized flowers. No smell...Looks like scraps at the end of a pound. About $25/8th (rec).... lots of freebies like tshirts, papers, lighter, small glass bowl. This was 420 weekend so perhaps this was a promo.

We did find a few varieties that were just OK.

The OG-18 from Denver Relief was pretty potent. Their Bio-diesel on the other hand was pretty poor. This is the same parents as the original Deathstar apparently, but this particular bag was nothing to write home about. We gave it away.

I fell in love with the Chem Wreck from Botanica. Smelled and tasted great even if the potency wasn't extremely high.

Still nothing like our local quality grower to grower. I'm not even quite sure how they grew buds this small. LED grows or something?

None the less, a great trip and quite the experience. We checked out 3D dispensary or something of that sort to see their viewing corridor. Their flowers were worse then anything I'd seen, but it was cool to see some live plants while we were out there.

Actually angers me a bit to see this environment all while I have friends behind bars for simple cultivation. Worlds apart yet we live in the same country.. Keep it up Colorado!

420 weekend was a terrible time to try and find anything good, other than some 20 grams of shatter i found. It was like a 2 hour wait to get in though and the buds on the shelf were not plentiful.

It is stunning the first time you go to a drug store :dance013: but unfortunately you quickly find it is just better to grow your own, and to do it in a legal environment is awesome. Also, you can go into a headshop and say "I would like to buy that bong to smoke marijuana" and they don't kick you out, just had to do that experiment once:) And you don't have to pretend to be growing tomatoes when buying grow supplies.

Ingski

It is a real bummer... I used to go to this place called Cam and they were awesome, a bit pricey, but when I want to sample good weed I'm willing to pay good money. It really is a shame so many of the stores are commercial chop shops.