What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Cannabis Seeds

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Great work Musta! We're these kept by the vibes collective? And did you have to use giberillic acid to germinate them? Looks like you might need an indoor grow room this late in the season amigo!

Waddup bro! Yes indeed so I'll try to keep the legacy alive and play a bit with them. Main goal is reaping viable seeds and try to keep clones so not too worried with small size or taking too long for now... :dance013:

I didn't used anything fancy for this ones, they only demanded some good love and pre-cracking all of them carefully after a sterilising soak and putting them to sprout in a warm place afterwards. As soon as I got some nice looking tails, put them into soil. But I will definitely use whatever product I may need for a certain number of other old and rare strains I'd like to grow and preserve within the next few upcoming years! Old seed germination trials will probably come soon! ;)

PS: Someone told me the seeds were still sprouting nicely although I should keep my eyes open for hermies, so I just took half of them and kept my fingers crossed for like 3 days! :biggrin:

Vibes.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Love It!!!!!!!

picture.php

JACKBAYBEH

Damn all this talking just made me sprout a few old Vietnam Black seeds, I've put 12 to germinate but only 7 sprouted so far, they should be at least 12-15 year old so I guess i've been quite lucky this time! :biggrin:
Anymore of those beans germ Musta?
7 out of 12 is very good for beans that age imo. I've been averaging about 50% with beans 10+ yrs.
Take what you get and open pollinate bro.
I wish BG would come back with another lot of his Viet Black.
Good luck with these man. :tiphat:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
In 2011 he claimed to brong again a big drop of the VB, but this batch never showned up yet...

Don't know if I said this on this thread already or not, but according to a subforum he used to maintain Billygoat had some health issues and retired from breeding.

As for breeders making money from other breeders work, I don't mind too much if the original breeder is gone. When they're competing with the original that seems unscrupulous, however when they're keeping something publicly available that otherwise would just be in a few private collections then I'd rather they sell the original than make crosses.

I like ACE but I'd never have bought the Vietnam*Thai if I could have just got the Vietnamese.

Probably the vietnamese wasn't that unique and it's probably got modern strains descended from it, but I think that sometimes we'd all like to have a go at reworking older strains ourselves rather than taking modern strains and just crossing them with other highly worked lines.

It's probably a pipe dream but deep down we all still want to be like cheech and chong and smoke a little schwaggy thai now and then.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Things are going slow here, some didn't sprout so I put all the seeds I had and I ended with 13-14 seedlings although one is a very stunted and doesn't really improve so far but the rest are going well. It's easy to see a few different phenotypes already, some have broad leaves while the others look more serrated and vigorous growing despite the light nutrient soil I'm using.

Some of this Nam Black F2s smell funky as hell when the stems are rubbed so I may start looking for some favourites soon. Will post more pictures in a few days. The plants still have plenty time to shine.

Peace.

DSC_4827.jpg

PS: Breeder's description, would love to know more about the true origins or breeder of this strain though. Was it bred in California by any collective with genetics brought by Vietnam veterans after the war? If anyone has legit or first hand info please do share. ;)

Dutch Flowers - Nam Black F1 (Vietnamese sativa hybrid, aka Vietnam Black, aka NAM weed).
Original F1 cross: Female Southern Vietnam outskirts of Saigon (truebreeding pure Sativa NAM) X Male Northern Vietnam/China Boarder (indica influence).
Breeder's description: Originating from Vietnamese genetics brought back to North America in 77, she's an extremely potent exotic sativa. Not recommended for medical users, usually resulting in shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, raised blood pressure, leans towards paranoia. Her sweet tropical ripe mango scent and sickly sweet taste will speak for itself. Vigorous strong brancher and top heavy - support recommended. A very heavy yield compensates for a longer flowering period. Flowering time: 9+ weeks

Last edited:

Cernunnos

Hello Mustafunk and the good folks here. I was speaking with someone who appears to have alot of first hand experience of many landraces. He said Viets are prone to hermies, or in his words all the Viets have bi sexual problems. I'm wondering if you or anyone else with experience of growing them can chime in on the subject?

Best Regards

Cern

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Hello Mustafunk and the good folks here. I was speaking with someone who appears to have alot of first hand experience of many landraces. He said Viets are prone to hermies, or in his words all the Viets have bi sexual problems. I'm wondering if you or anyone else with experience of growing them can chime in on the subject?

Best Regards

Cern

The Ace seeds Viet X Thai certainly did, I only got one true female in the pack.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Just wanted to share a few pictures of the Nam Black F2 from DutchFlowers. Most plants are finally flowering (one still didnt' show sex!) and so far I've found 2 intersex males that I will probably discard, 7 females and 4 males that seem to be firm, apparently at least, so fingers crossed.

There are 2 main distinct phenos as well (maybe some intermediate too): some more compact looking plants, with 9 finger leaflets and sturdy stems. The others more tropical looking, 7 finger leaflets, stretchy structure, shiny thin leaves and thin stems. One male (intersex unfortunately, as I wanted to use it with my purple Jamaican) and one female (the most stretchy one) have some purple hues on the stems and flowers as well.

He said Viets are prone to hermies, or in his words all the Viets have bi sexual problems.

I guess you are right man, most SE Asian strains have intersex problems, not sure about true hermaphrodites but intersex males are especially common. I've experienced the same with Philippines strains. I hope I'll be able to compare with other thai and viet strains I have around but unfortunately it seems to be the common trend and one hard to fight against!

I guess everything matches what's been already seen on different grow reports on this strain. Let's see how everything goes, still a long time to go I guess but I'm already starting to take notes on the phenos, smells, structures, etc. Definitely looking forward to find: nice no-ceiling female, purple/black one and another compact faster flowering plant, more convenient for indoor growing, northern latitudes or crossing into mad tropical sativas.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Vibes!

JACKBAYBEH

Man, I like the look of those 2 plants in the first pic! Really pretty. :good:
Great progress MustaFunk. Can't wait to see how it all comes out in the end. This is a worth-while project fo sho. Respect. Good luck the rest of the way through. :tiphat:

Cernunnos

@Mustafunk. Those are beautiful looking Nam blacks, it looks like it's all going along nicely for you I find the Viet landraces to be often very attractive looking plants. Here's a Viet sativa being grown by a Viet friend in Vietnam. The image that is different is not his but I thought she's such a hot lady I felt I had to post the pic here. :biggrin:

beautiful viet.jpg

viet sat.jpg

Viet   sat.jpg

viet  sat.jpg

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Nice tropical plant Cernunnos... reminds me a bit to some South Indian or Jamaican lamsbread i've seen around. With thin 5-finger leaves and crazy branching.

Some more pics about the Nam Black F2 females... 2 males were intersex so ony 3 firm males and 8 females so far, they have been flowering for some weeks already. One of them has just sexed at the moment so I guess it will be the extreme tropical pheno that only responded to the 11h daylength decrease.

Female #2, fast and very compact, hybrid looking pheno, very promising for indoor growing and breeding:
picture.php

Some intermediate looking phenotypes:

Female #3:
picture.php

Female #6, still pretty short noded and branchy, good potential.
picture.php

Female #1, love this sharp leaves!
picture.php

Female #5, super lanky and stretchy, this and the #6 have the biggest internode spacing so far, so not really productive I guess.
picture.php

It will be hard to choose but only the excepcional plants will prevail!

Vibes.

Huesos

Valla! Valla! Que Yerba tan hermosa :huggg:

Cernunnos- I agree brother- looks like a beautiful South Indian influence. Some say Indian was the origins of the great ones. Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful pics. Please let us know how she smokes?

View Image

This girl turned black with low temps and gold and red with warm temps + low ferts. I believe they were getting below 50 deg F when she threw her black colors. Beautiful plants for sure. :)

I'd like to compare them to pure Viet Black or maybe Willy Nelson but, currently I'm planning to cross a few I have to some Lebanese. Make my own version of Oriental Express. :)

...I want this...................

Waldgeist

Nice tropical plant Cernunnos... reminds me a bit to some South Indian or Jamaican lamsbread i've seen around. With thin 5-finger leaves and crazy branching.

Some more pics about the Nam Black F2 females... 2 males were intersex so ony 3 firm males and 8 females so far, they have been flowering for some weeks already. One of them has just sexed at the moment so I guess it will be the extreme tropical pheno that only responded to the 11h daylength decrease.

Female #2, fast and very compact, hybrid looking pheno, very promising for indoor growing and breeding:
View Image

Some intermediate looking phenotypes:

Female #3:
View Image

Female #6, still pretty short noded and branchy, good potential.
View Image

Female #1, love this sharp leaves!
View Image

Female #5, super lanky and stretchy, this and the #6 have the biggest internode spacing so far, so not really productive I guess.
View Image

It will be hard to choose but only the excepcional plants will prevail!

Vibes.

beautiful work bro!

how does the males structure compare to the females you described?

:tiphat: