What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Cannabis Seeds

OakyJoe... I had no idea DF had ever released any Vietnamese seed. Cool! Ive got DF Chocolate Trip, amazing weed she is!

What are the chances of there being some DF NamBlack70 still being around?

Ive been searching for some Vietnamese Black or something better for a long while now. Ive got REv's Black Forrest(V.Black x Cherry Bomb F1), ACE Seeds V.Black x China Yunnan, and that's it so far.

Hrpuffnkush... That is a BEASTLY plant! How many generations inbred is that line? Looks like its got a good amount of broad leaf in its genes or maybe just inbred for that expression?

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Looks beautiful man, love the shape of those leaves and how the leaflets go all around the leaf.

Do you have more info about the source? they look a bit like the North Vietnamese plants, a bit more compact and wider leaves, Yunnan chinese style genetics as opposed to southern Vietnamese and Cambodian strains with extreme long flowering. How long those go? Looking forward to see some flowering pictures as well.

vibes.

It was brought back from viet and grown in Hawaii since then, never out crossed , every year he would cross for next season seed stock so its pretty much IBL
Im thinking its a northern Viet strain also , does look very similar to plants near border of china , about 9ish to 11ish week flower depending on how grown medium wise ect , doesnt like indoor bright lights to much will trow some bananas, outside she is fine .. very frosty none on leaves thow , has a lemon spicy sour smell best way to describe is lemon kiwi type ,

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Does everyone know that ONE of Ace Seeds' Regular Mix seeds is Vietnam Black?

The down side is - you can't tell which one.

ACE Mix Regular/

ACE MIX STANDARD

Mixed pack - genetics from Nepal, Uzbekistan, China, Guatemala, Malawi, Congo and Vietnam

"sativa/indica variable. Híbridos con genéticas de Nepal, Uzbekistan, China, Guatemala, Malawi, Congo and Vietnam. "

Last edited:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Oh wait are they mixed seeds or mixed genetics? I was thinking it'd be like... are they called world of seeds? were you get a pack of assorted ones from around the world?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
They have one seed of each. A Vietnam Black seed is in there.
On their site it says:
In this stunning Pandora’s Box, excellent varieties coming from the most
varied places of our planet have been combined. In our ACE MIX a selection of new genetics from our most recent breeding projects are at your disposal. New sativa/indica hybrids bred from our best parental plants have been included as well as new genetics that have not yet
come to light.
Which means that it's all hybrids and crosses ;) .
Though, World of Seeds has what they call 'Pure Origin Collections' with different landraces inside... but no Vietnamese...

homebrew420

The Vienman Black most definately still exists. Billy Goat fell ill around the time of intended release. Needless to say it did not happen. Others have this pant while some have grown a few gens and made a few selections. I am hoping to get my hands on some here within the next 5 months or so. I currently have a clone of a seed grown from Vietnam. Not a SE sativa with super thin leaves. Very vigorous tall with small dense flowers aromas of haze and night blooming Jasmine. truly a great gift. would love to see the differences and make more seeds.

Peace

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Yeah Vietnam Black isn’t such a rare strain to be honest. Does anybody know the real story and who was the original breeder? Viet people reckons that yankees did the original hybrid but I would really love to get more info about it. So far, what I've read was that it was a cross between a tropical strain from Saigon (actual Ho Chi Mihn) at the south (so probably Cambodian style plant) and a northern Vietnam strain, probably very related to the Chinese Yunnan strains, more compact and similar to the short summer drug landraces (Nepal, Burma, Kush, Mexico, etc). Seeds are claimed to have been taken to USA at '77, the war ended in '75.

When Billy Goat did the reproduction in 2010 and starting selling all those F2 online, the reproduction was already made from and old batch of 15 seeds he got from Ferret (Fet), who got them from other growers like many other stuff he sold (he doesn't have a great fame within the community because of his practices, right?). From them, I remember that around 10 sprouted and the rest consisted in discarding hermies and just letting nature do its job.

I must say that normally I don’t really support “breeders” making profit on rare or renowned seeds that are in fact works from other disappeared seedbanks, breeders or even the community that may have been shared in the past (unless it's with full consent and blessings); especially when there isn’t even any proper breeding involved but only sprouting a few old beans and making a seed run to make the most of the hype and big name of the strain. Some other seedbanks did the same selling recently F2 from Afropips and African Seeds strains. It seems to be common practice by certain kind of seedbanks. But I mean, what kind of guy am I if I gather a bunch Lamsbread, Oaxacan, Zamal or oldschool Haze seeds from someone and I start selling plain F2 from them because I know they are rare and so much people is willing to pay for them nowadays? Same old story and that's not how a breeder works. For me there is no difference between those selling copies and trendy rip-offs. Doing original hybrids with them or even giving away some freebies with other works to pass on the legacy would be a whole different thing though, but maybe I’m too idealistic or romantic! If you really want a strain, sooner or later the strain will find you when it has to happen and you don't even expect it, without having to pay for it. It's been always like that and it's a cool thing from this community! ;-)

Anyway and back to the topic, much before that, the Vietnam Black was already preserved by other passionate growers and preservation collectives in the same way like many other oldschool strains that can still be found today. I can't be more precise althought I would love to trace the strain's detailed history. I still keep some old beans preserved at the Collective Vibes that date from much before Billy Goats repro although I’m not sure if they will sprout and I remember they had some hermi issues, so no bueno. But I would love to compare them to some of the Billy Goat F2 and also other modern and older Viet genetics.

It’s also surprisingly easy to find "Vietnam Black" seeds even in Vietnam nowadays. But of course, none of this strains has to have anything in common with the real oldschool Vietnam Black found in the 70s and it’s impossible to trace the lineage, quality or what really is this modern VB. Black seems to have become a common slang for potent weed in Vietnam so it's unlikely it really has any relation with the old Nam Black hybrid.

From what I’ve read, Vietnam is not such a big ganja producer, at least in comparison with the neighbouring Thailand or Cambodia. Apart from the foreign soldiers during the war, not many people smoked there at the time. So during the Vietnam War, there was such a big and increasing demand of weed in Vietnam and it was grown and imported in big amounts. When the Americans left the place after the war in 1975, many brought some beans with them (thai sticks, Cambodian, Burmese, Viet) and of course, the genetics have been evolving there since then but all the breeding and preservation was done in a very poor way due to the harsh laws and risk it takes.

Although smoking marijuana -- the drug of choice among soldiers -- was a punishable offense under army rules, many soldiers still indulged. Precise statistics are not available, but army records suggest that marijuana use at the time was much more widespread in Vietnam itself than it was in the United States. After outraged, sympathetic and bemused newspaper reports drew international interest to the issue, the southern Vietnamese government took steps to make marijuana harder to obtain in 1968. The problem was soon overshadowed, though, by the rise of heroin as a popular drug among soldiers.

The famous "shotgun pipe" Vietnam soldiers video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VvuOUYe7mI

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VvuOUYe7mI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Right now it's pretty curious how weed is commonly smoked and a big movement between the young people and they love indulging and even wearing clothes, bags and hats decorated with leaf prints. Most high grade outdoor weed is grown in the northern highlands, where the Hmong tribes also live (just like in the case of Lao, Thailand and the whole Golden Triangle area). The big ganja producers and one of the best quality is found in Bắc Ninh, Quảng Ninh and Hải Phòng. There, the local growers grow their seeds and also make their own hybrids with modern hybrids they get from online shops like Seed City or friends living outside the country. The rest are growing indoors just like in every other part of the world. No one in Vietnam wants local weed but foreign hybrids, indicas and kush. The local “Can Sa” for them is rather boring, weak and of mediocre quality. Of course, we must keep in mind that due to the super harsh laws and prosecution, most outdoor growers are forced to harvest very soon, much before the herb gets properly ripe under the sun, so the quality it’s really low compared to the product that could be probably found in the 70s, when the weed become so widespread during the war and legendary names like Cambodian Red and Vietnam Black came to the scene. I think the situation is very similar to what it could be Colombia, Mexico or Jamaica nowadays.

On the other hand, in the south of the country they don’t grow so much Can Sa. Mainly because Cambodia and Thailand are very close and they have been always big producers, so weed can be imported from there without too much hassle all over the south. There are still some farmers growing but according to a guy who had an uncle in Lam Dong province, the seeds always come from Cambodia, where cannabis is so widespread and part of the culture (Campuchia like they say).

This made me think about the legend of the Vietnam Dalat, well known over the net since Overgrow reports from Dee Wee and other OG friends who got and grew the beans too (20'Thai, Butcher Bob, Uncle Ben, Marksurf), well some found them amazing, others highly overrated, or it could be just the lack of "tropical finish" too. but I imagine that probably the French grower who had the genetics in Da Lat and was visited by Dee Wee and later his friend, was simply cultivating some good weed, who knows if it was legit Viet or came from Cambodian or even Thailand on the other hand. At least after speaking to people who have been living in Da Lat for decades who claimed that no weed is been grown there, made me think a bit about all this legend. Anyway, Lam Dong province is big and some locals grow cannabis there to feed their livestock but big production is in the northern area it seems. Some small scale growing is done also in Dac Lac and Buôn Ma Thuột area according to other guys. I'm yet to research about the weed that can be found in Ho Chi Mihn city and it's original source but I imagine it will be the same. In any case, nothing compared to the big producing areas of Quang Nihn or Hai Phong, closer to Hanoi in the north.

I received a few local seeds including supposed Vietnam Black, Thai Stick and also some crosses between Vietnamese and autoflowering/commercial hybrids that I’ve tossed right away lol. But I don’t have many faith on them, I’m definitely more interested in getting good quality Hai Phong, Quang Nihn or Lam Dong ganja as a good representation of the Viet strains, more related to the Chinese Yunnan drug strains than the equatorial Cambodian and Thai strains found in the south.

Apart from the dealers, there are so many viet ladies on their 20s there growing weed to get some extra cash so they can buy espensive clothes and brands. Most of the people who have been exchanging seeds were ladies indeed. Sometimes I’m surprised to find out all the hybrids they are growing there. They post pics at their Facebook profiles and in private groups where people discuss about weed and other drugs they sell, so there is a strange mix of pictures posing with expensive brand clothes at luxury hotels and restaurants, and pictures from plants, buds or pills/powder offered and the seed packets they purchase online or exchange with foreign growers. I was amazed by looking at the seeds they had, stuff from Karma Genetics, TGA Subcool, dutch seedbanks and other rare stuff, autoflowering strains and even some super rare Spanish underground genetics that I’m still wondering how the fuck they could have ended there! But apart from them, not much people have access to seeds, plus they don’t want it, otherwise anybody could be growing their own at home!

All this stuff I guess that contributes to the fact that nowadays, it’s almost impossible to find native landraces in so many traditional ganja growing places. I’m even sure that there are far more treasures within the community of growers and preservationists than oldschool and legit strains in Jamaica, Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam and their original countries. Probably in many cases, the legacy of us growers is much bigger and preservation-worthy than the one found in the native countries where some day, those strains ruled the market. In the previous pages, we can see a great representation of a pure Vietnamese strain kept in Hawai for generations since 1972! You won't find anything close to that in Vietnam man, for real. Gypsy Nirvana already spoke about this issue in his thread during his strain hunting trip to Vietnam and Cambodia a few years ago. It seems that he couldn't find any interesting native genes in Vietnam (even with a great contact like theirs). On the other side, I loved the story on how they got nice Khmer Gold and Lao genetics from a connoisseur grower living in Phonm Phenn though.

Everywhere I looked I saw only female plants and most all were indica dominant varieties and this was confirmed by Mr Ho who told me that the clone Mother's for most all of these plants had originated from Canada.....Ho was not into seed production he was just producing sensimilla for commercial reasons and doing it on a larger scale indoors than I had ever seen.....

Yes...it was exciting to see all these plants being grown in purgatory but I was looking for Vietnamese landrace varieties in seed form.....

Last but not least, some pictures from those local plants grown nowadays.

Local and modern Vietnamese Black:

image.jpg

image.jpg

North Viet sativas from a grower's garden:

image.jpg

Some outdoor seeded buds, the easiest source of seeds for many guys:
buds_viet.jpg

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Damn all this talking just made me sprout a few old Vietnam Black seeds, I've put 12 to germinate but only 7 sprouted so far, they should be at least 10-12 year old so I guess i've been quite lucky this time! :biggrin:

DSC_4784.jpg

Time for a late-season seed run and some crosses I guess! I'll post pictures.

This were the parents of that batch:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looking pretty nice so far...

Last edited:

bushweed

Veteran
Great work Musta! We're these kept by the vibes collective? And did you have to use giberillic acid to germinate them? Looks like you might need an indoor grow room this late in the season amigo!

Latest posts

Latest posts