What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Legend of Chemdog and the 13 Seeds

L

laylow

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500.

Joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast.

According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds. Here began the Chemdog lineage and from there many of the highest regarded clones in the USA.

Brief background

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’.

In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In 06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'.

Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

If you had to pick a strain that the original seeds come from or accidental cross what would you say it was?

:tiphat:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ahh the old Deadhead $500 bag o weed story, heard this for years, several different iterations, never new which one was real though.

If I had to pick a strain ....I would pick the oldest strain as I like vintage strains and am trying to aquire many of them to keep the genetics alive for older smokers.

Just my two cents Laylow

L

laylow

ive not had the pleasure to smoke chemdog Yet have some germinating now tho :D

plenty of people here have smoked plenty of CD and plenty of other strains, they must be scared to voice there opinion incase they get flamed for it lol.........

just a bit of fun thanks for you two cents Mega....

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Used to grow the chem dawg! Smelled like funky rotten breath and skunk weed! Weird but appealing! She yielded allot fo weed for me and was great smoke, but everyone around here grows her now and its getting kinda boring unfortunately. But she is epic, and i love her! wish i still had some pics to share with you all and can dig some up if you like! Peace and grow ORGANIC!:thank you:Chem DAWG!

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
plenty of people here have smoked plenty of CD and plenty of other strains, they must be scared to voice there opinion incase they get flamed for it lol.........

just a bit of fun thanks for you two cents Mega....

There not scared, they are smart enough, well informed enough to know there is no chance in hell to have any intelligent guess as to what the component strains associated with the Chemdog plants could possibly be.

purple_man

Veteran
i bet it's charlie sheen crossed to chuck norris weed...
n backcrossed to sweet tooth man! *joke mode off*

on a serious note... if none of the "creators" of the strain, knew or had a guess or even cared about, what "lineage" the cross was, none of us will ever know... the way the story went it's just the chemdawg :)

blessss

BongRipkenJR.

I think Chemdawg might be a Mexican sativa X Indian kush sativa, not a high elevation Indica. I think that because of the weird smell and taste with what resembles some landrace Hindu Kushes I have tried.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
JoeBrand and Pbud had to get that good herb from somebody/somewhere so if anybody ever could track those two down (if they even exist lol!) that would be the best place to start hunting down lineage.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
gee...if u can track down those two guys, i wonder what they are selling oz's today for??... i mean $500 bucks in the lates 80's... with inflation, price of gold, national debt, high oil prices, their weed probably goes for $5000 a "Z" today...

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
99% sure the guy who sold it doesn't know who the "father" is, a few seeds in $500 dollar ounce means someone threw a nanner, and probably only a few of em.

No point in getting worked up over what the accidental cross came from..

Grimr3efer

I believe the seeds were selfed seeing that there were only 13 in 1 zip. I have chem4xsd and I have gotten a few selfed seeds of of her. I got around 15 beans off one 4sd plant. I have seen this plant throw manners but it very few and always late into flower, and they are at the bottom of the plant. I really love her even if she does hermm. That's just more seeds for me. From what I hear there are damn good seeds to have too.

canned abyss1

Veteran
gee...if u can track down those two guys, i wonder what they are selling oz's today for??... i mean $500 bucks in the lates 80's... with inflation, price of gold, national debt, high oil prices, their weed probably goes for $5000 a "Z" today...

That's the thing as the price of everything else has gone up the price of cannabis has actually gone down. In the late 80's an ounce of good herb was about the same as the price of an ounce of gold, so technically if things were the way they were then herb would be about $1000 an ounce today just like gold is. Remember back in the late 80's not everyone and their brother had a grow room like today, and running more than 1000 watts was a risky thing to do. Hell just going to a grow store was a huge risk (Operation Green Merchant). I think people have gotten to spoiled and don't realize what we had to go through. Not only that we couldn't get on the internet and get all of this information in the matter of minutes, we actually had to put in real time and learn from our mistakes. I find this whole Chem thing actually kinda funny, so much stock being put into some hermi seeds from a Dead Show, I just don't get it. You know how much bud that was as good and better than the Chems was floating around on tour back then, it was ridiculous.

W

wiseone

Remember back in the late 80's not everyone and their brother had a grow room like today, and running more than 1000 watts was a risky thing to do. Hell just going to a grow store was a huge risk (Operation Green Merchant). I think people have gotten to spoiled and don't realize what we had to go through. Not only that we couldn't get on the internet and get all of this information in the matter of minutes, we actually had to put in real time and learn from our mistakes.

It was even worse back in the '70's but I agree with the above statements 100%.
So much is taken for granted nowdays.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
I've always liked the story and the strains that came from it :). What were some the other "identifiable" strains on the Dead Tours?

I'm curious to know which strains that you thought were better than the Chems, canned abyss1,? Ya'll take care 1

designer

In that time period I was getting Oz of skunk for $240 and complaining big time about price. The $500 oz part of the story (in Cali no less) is the part that always bothered me. It is not a fantastic story to take some weed from Florida and grow it out in Cali. They had been growing weed from other countries there for decades. The story is meaningless, those original genes are gone or diluted now. Just a story.

canned abyss1

Veteran
In that time period I was getting Oz of skunk for $240 and complaining big time about price. The $500 oz part of the story (in Cali no less) is the part that always bothered me.

The $240 an ounce of skunk part sounds about right to me, but most of the skunk of that time was grown outdoors and was being shipped by the truckload. Just because someone didn't witness something doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Just look through an old Hightimes in the THMQ and you will see ounces listed for $400 to $500. The Haze x NL5 cut that was going around then would always go for about $500 an ounce, This stuff was like smokable acid. I smoked out Gatewood Gailbraith and a busload of hippies on hemp tour with that shit and had them all floored.
This is the warning that was in the '89 Seed Bank catalog, Due to tremendous customer demand, we have spent years searching for a superb Sativa/ Indica hybrid that is suited for indoor growing but still retains the unique sativa qualities in the high. The Haze X NL#5 hybrid is the result of this search. A note of warning: Adverse effects have been known to occur among inexperienced smokers, particularly when combined with alcohol. Side effects may include nausea, dizzyness, fainting and loss of bowel and bladder control. Extreme introspective behavior is considered normal

Solidopc

I bought sme absolutely amazing nycd x sensi hindu kush a few years back. I'd love to look at seeds from that cross, which was a homemade cross made by a mate on accident. Didnt get many seeds, only say 20-30, dont know what he did with them, wonder if he still got them.