What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

favorite female seeds

Female seeds WWxBB, one pheno is yieldy bomb. God fu** I miss that plant, my friend still has it in flower and plans to reveg it after harvest, but it is not helping me atm. It really ripped me. Sure, there was not much nuances in high, but it was blast that put me down to coma. :comfort:

angel4us

ICMag Donor
power kush

power kush

limited strain knowledge here but the power kush freebies by dina fem kicked all my other gears ass and i got alot of gear...

bat1327

Ran nirvana's wonder woman last run (was great). This run TH seeds sage and Nirvana's ice. About 35 days to go

simos

None of them. Fem seeds are whack. A backwards step in breeding, devoid of any real work. Why do you think real breeders like DJ, Steve, Shanti, Neville, Chimera, and Karma absolutely refuse to produce them?

The big Dutch seedbanks hyped fems as the next great thing, but they're really just the path of least resistance. It's a lot easier to reverse a momma than actually work with studs to line breed consistent stock. IMO, reversed pollen chucks don't constitute breeding.

Now that the the mainstream has accepted the idea of fems at face value, they demand them, and the seedbanks have to supply them to stay competitive, even though they know the many disadvantages.

I think they're just for people too lazy to make a selection from a standard pack. Their instability means they absolutely aren't worthy of further breeding projects, and pose a threat to the maintenance of special genetics. In other words, fems are the road to mediocrity.

The worst thing of all about fem seed is that seedbanks somehow think it's justifiable to sell them for more money. WTF?!? How do they justify the price discrepancy when everything about fems makes seed production easier and more efficient?!? The answer: hype and a consumer base lacking a solid understanding of what they're actually buying.

Stick with naturally produced seed lines. If you do run fems, use them as a one and done fix, and for god's sake, please don't pollute the gene pool by crossing them with anything else.

I think they're just for people too lazy to make a selection from a standard pack. Their instability means they absolutely aren't worthy of further breeding projects, and pose a threat to the maintenance of special genetics. In other words, fems are the road to mediocrity.

There are people, that just cannot afford having males in their garden. Imagine pop a pack of 10, and get 9 males, ending up only 1 female. No room to preserve clones and no timeframe to wait for clones to root and veg. I could call that fucked up grow.

I use both. Sometimes I fill gaps with female seeds, because I need a solid crop in 8 weeks, not end up seeing just another male after few weeks.

Anyway, what using fem seeds is away from people, that use just regular seeds?

Just avoid Ditch Passion IMO, they are straight garbage. :)

U

unthing

Female seeds neville's haze hybrid was great, under 250w. Was lot shorter and chunkier with bigger light in another place..

Alone in the end :

Haven't had probs with femmed seeds, and thinking of doing pollen chuckin fem cross myself at some point, but not now. I usually buy regulars for the adventure. There are lot fem seeds in the market today, some i'd buy, others avoid..

Last edited:

Baba Ku

Veteran
None of them. Fem seeds are whack. A backwards step in breeding, devoid of any real work. Why do you think real breeders like DJ, Steve, Shanti, Neville, Chimera, and Karma absolutely refuse to produce them?

The big Dutch seedbanks hyped fems as the next great thing, but they're really just the path of least resistance. It's a lot easier to reverse a momma than actually work with studs to line breed consistent stock. IMO, reversed pollen chucks don't constitute breeding.

Now that the the mainstream has accepted the idea of fems at face value, they demand them, and the seedbanks have to supply them to stay competitive, even though they know the many disadvantages.

The worst thing of all about fem seed is that seedbanks somehow think it's justifiable to sell them for more money. WTF?!? How do they justify the price discrepancy when everything about fems makes seed production easier and more efficient?!? The answer: hype and a consumer base lacking a solid understanding of what they're actually buying.

Stick with naturally produced seed lines. If you do run fems, use them as a one and done fix, and for god's sake, please don't pollute the gene pool by crossing them with anything else.

Here is the problem with your take on things...
For one, it is much harder to breed using forced pollen that it is to breed with a M/F strategy. Any fool can let a male pollen up and use it. Not many have the skills needed to force pollen...other than the crap grower stressing his plants with the grow environment.

And when a person selects for fem seeds, he is selecting two proven females. He sees what their buds look like and the growing structure they take on before he uses them.
The person who uses the male has no clue, not really. Especially if he is using plants grown from an F1 breeding. He can select all day long, and not really know what sort of progeny that male may put out. He only selected it because he felt it smelled funky, or looked big, or some other trait...but he really doesn't know squat about it.

Forcing for fems to throw pollen is absolutely a tool for breeding. And it is used all the time, even by some of the names you mentioned.
Some breeders won't put out fem lines because folks like you exist on a high level still. There are lots that take the voodoo and hearsay and make them facts in their minds. Some go as far as to lobby against fem seeds simply because of their confused take on things.
At the end of the day, the facts are the deciding factor, and you are not bringing many facts to the table with your rant.

lol...I would love to hear your detailed take on how fem seeds pollutes the gene pool.

Quote:None of them. Fem seeds are whack. A backwards step in breeding, devoid of any real work. Why do you think real breeders like DJ, Steve, Shanti, Neville, Chimera, and Karma absolutely refuse to produce them? We are on the same page Simos. ---I have no respect for fem seed breeders.Everyone and their dog can find a sweet clone and spray it with silver and produce the same bs these companies do.After my experience with hermies from fems it would be foolish to try them again.Buy regular seed and support those who will do great things in breeding with our money.And if you want fem seeds for god's sake make them yourself from a nice female that doesn't hermie under stress,I don't recommend it,just don't want you to pay $60 for ten seeds when you can get hundreds of beans off one plant with a few cents in silver.Real breeders test males to see if they produce viable offspring.No hearsay here,all experience in 78deg room with no leaks.Standard breeding has proven successful for quite a while now.

Last edited:

sutra1

For an outdoor guerilla grower feminized seeds are almost essential. I've grown Nirvana's Aurora Indica & wonder Woman with solid results. I usually mix fem with non so I wind up with a decent yield at harvest time. I'm strongly considering growing Dinafem strains next season.

simos

There are people, that just cannot afford having males in their garden. Imagine pop a pack of 10, and get 9 males, ending up only 1 female. No room to preserve clones and no timeframe to wait for clones to root and veg. I could call that fucked up grow.

I use both. Sometimes I fill gaps with female seeds, because I need a solid crop in 8 weeks, not end up seeing just another male after few weeks.

You make a good point - they're more convenient (provided they don't herm), and allow many people who can't (for one reason or another) assemble a proper setup the opportunity to try their hands at growing. And that's a good thing any way you try to spin it. It's just that I see these forums as a place dedicated to excellence and the pursuit of perfection, which often isn't a convenient process, so I don't want to espouse shortcuts. Of course fems have their uses, but they're just an inferior, last resort type of option, IMO. If you're using them as anything other than a last resort, I'd cite laziness as the reason, or a lack of exacting quality standards. And that's okay, not everyone has to pursue the absolute best, but I try to encourage people to reach for it as much as possible (even though I often don't get there myself, lol).

IMO/E it's not reasonable to expect to find a real winner in every 10 pack. It happens pretty regularly, but if you really want a good example of a strain I think 2+ packs need to be purchased and searched through.

In the end, a proper selection almost always leaves me with a momma that I'm thrilled with, and that can supply me with an infinite amount of cuttings. After the first run, those cuttings become much, much more cost effective than buying new fem seed every time, and I'm just a personal medical grower.

IMO, anyone (with any space requirements) can keep a bonsai mom to produce the cuttings they need if they can manage to have a grow in the first place. Even a PC case is enough space to get it done. That said, I'm not trying to argue about what is or isn't feasible for you, that's just my opinion.

I also really like to make F2s so I can maintain seed lines for the future, should I loose my selected mothers. The cost of electricity for a small seed run is nothing in comparison to what it would cost to buy the seeds gained, as even smaller fully-pollinated plants yield 100s of seeds.

So in the end, it's all a preference thing, and it wasn't my intention to hate or disrespect anyone who grows fems - just introduce my highly skeptical opinion into the mix.

For those that choose to use fems, this kind of thread is a good thing, and it wasn't my intention to discredit the topic of discussion as a whole, either. Depending on the stability of the female parent stock that's used in hermaphroditic crosses, some varieties of fems are going to be more stable that others, and those kind of insights are certainly valuable to the community.

Cheers

I

Iron_Lion

OG Kush has been good to me. The last few years I have really seen an improvment in quality strains being offered in fem form, gotta love S1's of elite clones. Also sour d x bubba kush aka sourkush is some serious dank too.

Ridiculously potent OG
picture.php

wayfarer

I've done a couple five packs of Female Seeds. Very reliable so far. Bubblegummer is good.

Ran some of those new Hercules Fems from 'Bannies' and found some true crap. A couple ok plants but five total wastes of space.

I've done a lot CH9 gear too. No problems, a few exceptional plants. Unique flavors on a number of strains.

komrade komura

I grow in a cab and don't have room or effort for males. Space and heat are my enemies everyday.

One day when I graduate from the cab to a tent or a room, then regular seeds will be on my menu. Until then...fem seeds provide me with good smoke.

simos

Here is the problem with your take on things...
For one, it is much harder to breed using forced pollen that it is to breed with a M/F strategy. Any fool can let a male pollen up and use it. Not many have the skills needed to force pollen...other than the crap grower stressing his plants with the grow environment.
I disagree. CS is easy to produce and apply. Gibberellic acid can be cheaply purchased and sprayed...
As far as it taking skill to force pollen goes, just look at Soma's method. Let anything go long enough and it'll produce a few bananas...

And when a person selects for fem seeds, he is selecting two proven females. He sees what their buds look like and the growing structure they take on before he uses them.
The person who uses the male has no clue, not really. Especially if he is using plants grown from an F1 breeding. He can select all day long, and not really know what sort of progeny that male may put out. He only selected it because he felt it smelled funky, or looked big, or some other trait...but he really doesn't know squat about it.
Yes, picking two females with desirable traits and creating a reversed cross gives you a good idea of the kind of traits that the offspring are going to express (or at least you would think so, but the results can be surprisingly unpredictable). Shortcuts are always appealing, but at what cost to the stability of genetic lines? As I suggested, you never really know how two plants genes are going to recombine, so unless you're talking about s1s I'd disagree that you have a better idea of the outcome than you do with traditional breeding practices using proven males.
Experienced breeders can tell a lot about what kind of traits a male is going to pass on, and they know what to look for, but you're right, males are harder to work with and the offspring need to be tested. Then again, fem seeds need to be tested, too.
I have more respect for hard work that creates a superior end product than I do for shortcuts that introduce instability, even if some of the products are awesome (e.g. certain elite s1s or reversed crosses).

Forcing for fems to throw pollen is absolutely a tool for breeding. And it is used all the time, even by some of the names you mentioned.
Some breeders won't put out fem lines because folks like you exist on a high level still. There are lots that take the voodoo and hearsay and make them facts in their minds. Some go as far as to lobby against fem seeds simply because of their confused take on things.
At the end of the day, the facts are the deciding factor, and you are not bringing many facts to the table with your rant.
If some of those guys use reversals, I was unaware. Do tell...
You're right, reversals can probably be used as a tool in proper breeding programs, I'd just like to see them used with more caution and restraint than I'm currently seeing.
I admit that it was a rant, and I never claimed to be bringing many empirical facts to the table, just my strong (perhaps overly so), educated opinion.

lol...I would love to hear your detailed take on how fem seeds pollutes the gene pool.

I'm not sure I can provide an explanation you'd find factually satisfying or compelling, but I do have experience I can share, as well as logical inferences and opinions.

It has been my experience that fem lines are unstable. I grew a pack of fem SLH after the first CC win, and I ended up with three intersex plants (if I remember correctly, but it could have only been two from the get go), and a couple more that threw nanners at the first sign of stress early in flower. I have grown out dozens of SFV OG s1s resulting from an accident in a friend's room, and while there were a couple real winners, there were also a lot of full on hermies, as well as many surprisingly unpredictable looking plants. Those experiences don't make me an expert on the subject, or even highly experienced, but the insights I gleaned from them have colored my opinion.

As for inferences, I'm sure we can agree that fems are less stable than m/f seed, and, should they be used in breeding projects, threaten to pass a greater degree of instability on to successive generations. It is my opinion that stable, true breeding lines are much more valuable to the long term preservation of a high quality, diverse Cannabis gene pool. Basically I see fem "breeding" as a mechanism for the dilution of genetic diversity, which I think is vital in the long run.

Basically, if a seedbank has the ability to produce a line normally, I'd much prefer that they do it that way instead of going the fem route.

Now, if the objective of a breeding program is to combine the desirable traits of two clone only strains, I think reversals are acceptable, but not necessarily preferable. I've grown out several such crosses I really liked, and I'm sure I'll run more in the future with excellent results, I just don't want to see them overtake more stable methods across the board. In other words, I would still prefer to see a backcross or an IBL of one of the chosen elites as an intermediate step from which stable males with the desirable characteristics could be used to pollinate the other clone. I'm inclined to believe that's preferable in the long run.

Feel free to pick apart or contest anything I've said that you object to - I always welcome a thoughtful discussion.

Latest posts

Latest posts