What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kerala Chellakutti

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks 28 weeks
Did cut her today. The wilting on the lower buds started and i didn't want to trimm the lower buds since its such a mess of branches.

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on the harvest chilliwilli :respect:

Yeah, i see your point on harvesting now .... the lower branches are probably getting overripe and losing terpenes and cannabinoids, while the tops will probably need 20 weeks more of flowering :)
What a wild sativa .... the more i learn about South Indian sativa landraces, the more i see similarities with Oldtimer's Haze and how Oldtimer's Haze behaves indoors.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Feel free to post your kerala chellakutti pics:good:
Looks good for me and checking the resin is the way to go. I would also sample some small buds and then deside. How long did you flower yours? I had it very often that the plants looked ripe but started reflowering and throwing new pistil.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Lower branches/bud sites also started to die at the end. Not sure if stronger light would have helped but for me it was also a sing of getting ripe.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did not put the flower time in for a reason. I am at 9 1/2 weeks. I run high Kelvin lights and use 9/15 lights, also the buds were heavily seeded. I am gonna yank em even though it goes against all that is good and the US constitution.

I smoked some of the 'dead' one already and it is good. I really like the high. At higher dose I think it could get trippy. On one good toke it gets a bit spacy.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Thx for sharing. I'm thinking about getting some 730nm far red leds for night phase inducing and hope to speed up flowering. When i got it right 15 min 730nm light after lights off should put the ladys in night metabolism instantly. 11/13 should be more like 9/15 for flowering time but the plants got the extra energy from the 11h light.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting with the red light. I like to keep things simple so just gonna leave it as is. This is better than the Kerala from TRSC. One plant sample from both.

Some strains really respond to short light cycle. The short flowering ones do not seem to respond much or at all. C99 being one. I think seeds speed the maturing process too.

Rajas

Very interesting with the flowering time...

The first flowering does "overage" during first reflowering. During second reflowering the two flower phases before are just sitting there waiting...
Is there really a right time to harvest?

Moreover it makes me sad to let a longflowering sativa sit and wilt for 2-3 weeks to wait if there's another reflowering.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Imo with a long flowering landrace there could be more harvest windows and reflowering will happen easy.

I think in the right outdoor enviroment there will be less/no wilting. It started in the parts that got low light intensity so i think outdoor sun with more intensity, moving position and changing light hours could prevent this.

But i think its also a genetical thing. I have seen that with escaped hemp plants growing wild that branches of a plant complete dried up on a plant while the rest was happy flowering. Imo a good trait for reproduction to focus the energy of what has the best chances to reproduce.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoked twice since last posting on this and just as good as before. I am chopping tonight on the other 4? or so I have. I expect them to be about the same, which is fine. I hope they are more potent and LSD but not a problem if not. I only toked two good tokes and it may take 5 or more to get sent to the moon.

It is spacy at two hits. Great no noids high, no crash.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks
I have smoke tested the chellakutti over the last weeks.
Best one so far for me is the most resinous one. After some weeks it gives a mild but nice activating buzz. Smell of this is most herbal with sweet undertone and spicey notes. I have also the impression of some incensy notes but can't nail it down. When grinded the spicey notes are more pronounced. But overall the smell is not strong.
Taste is nothing special most herbal and not like the smell.
The effect is initial not strong compared to modern hybrids but nice motivating, clear and a creeper high. The psychedelic euphoria i initial got is now more like a psychedelic humming. When smoked several bowls i gets more coffee like energy and a lill fidgety but also nice psychedelic, kind of emotional brightening.
When i have smoked other stuff i don't get much from smoking the kerala so i use it for first smoke of the day. That gives me good energy/motivation and i'm clear to function and get my stuff done.

I'm still a little pissed that i have lost the mother of the best one but i keep the seeds separate so i have the chance look through them.
I'm still thinking about giving some other mothers a second try with better spacing but since flower time compared to harvest is very long i'm not sure.
Overall it was great fun to grow the kerala chellakutti but when u compare flower time to harvest its more for the landrace lover.

Breeding wise it could be interesting since i have the impression its quite dominant in crosses. The few kali china x kerala chellakutti i tried are kerala dominant in terms of flower structure and flower time. The spicey notes are also more pronounced in the cross but i think the kali china is a good partner for that.

Rajas

Hi folks
I have smoke tested the chellakutti over the last weeks.
Best one so far for me is the most resinous one. After some weeks it gives a mild but nice activating buzz. Smell of this is most herbal with sweet undertone and spicey notes. I have also the impression of some incensy notes but can't nail it down. When grinded the spicey notes are more pronounced. But overall the smell is not strong.
Taste is nothing special most herbal and not like the smell.
The effect is initial not strong compared to modern hybrids but nice motivating, clear and a creeper high. The psychedelic euphoria i initial got is now more like a psychedelic humming. When smoked several bowls i gets more coffee like energy and a lill fidgety but also nice psychedelic, kind of emotional brightening.
When i have smoked other stuff i don't get much from smoking the kerala so i use it for first smoke of the day. That gives me good energy/motivation and i'm clear to function and get my stuff done.

I like it being a non aggressive spacy effect.

Do you think it's completely without body effects?
Is there no body stimulation as well as no body relaxing effects with this type? I'm mostly concerned about overstimulation to be honest (headaches, neck pain, ... ) because it's really on the other end of the spectrum!

Does the smell trick people into thinking it is not comming from cannabis with these keralas?

I saw a weed cooking contest on Netflix and thought it might be great to have terps in a realm of food. Is there something herbal and spicy that you think resembles of kitchen herbs or could fit into that realm?

Thanks for growing it out and sharing your experience. It is really so much work and effort and not much seen on the net :tiphat:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The most body effect for me is that i get a little fidgety from the stimulation but only if i smoke more. Couldn't rest my arms and legs but didn't get unpleasand body effects like u described.

Smell is 100% ganja and dev in the indian spice range but i think to less intense for good cooking. I think that the herbal grassy taste will be to pronounced compared to the spicey notes.
Maybe as kind of topping?

The Zientist

Veteran
Thx man they get water only. Its the 2. Run with a new notill mix.

1/3 sphagnum
1/3 riedlingsdorfer schwarzerde
1/3 perlite

With Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup

Neem Cake @ 1/2 cup

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup

Basalt powder @ 1 Cup

Neudorf urgesteinsmehl @ 1 Cup

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup

Malted Barley @ 2 Cup

Biovin @ 1 Cup

All per Cubic Foot
I see that you used Coot's mix. :)

Any reason for not including rice hulls? The silica and extra aeration they provide is remarkable. They contribute to nurture the soil-food-web and raise their activity.

I also use a modified version of it and I really enjoy the results. For more equatorial varieties (those that are more N-sensitive) I would cut the mix with a bit more aeration (rice hulls and vermiculite is what I use), and top feed with a mix of the nutrients and minerals made to amend the soil.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I see that you used Coot's mix. :)

Any reason for not including rice hulls? The silica and extra aeration they provide is remarkable. They contribute contribute to nurture the soil-food-web and raise their activity.
I just couldn't get the rice hulls. But will try them when i make a new mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts