What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would you want ACE Seeds to carry Romulan?

RomulanJake

Interesting thanks... if they grew same seed batch for years it’s a fairly straightforward linear development. If seed was made and planted each season for years then it would have a couple generations to at least start to stabilize before next addition of genetics. That would have made it a little more predictable each time they crossed it again. Good to know that it stopped at the Columbian bx too. We can expect F2s of these seeds to throw a few pretty Afghani influenced plants if that’s the case I think... I wonder what might emerge from taking Columbian dom F2s and selfing them... sometimes that kind of shit will bring out other recessive things hidden generations back.. seemed to with Zamaldelica fem when I did it anyways.
Edit: if you try F2S1 seeds expect a hit on yields... it was an accident that lead to a surprising number of phenotypes some of which were right back to being jungle weed

Interesting you should say that.. I'm selfing the clone cut of Romulan that I have. The one that my Pops buddy kept alive for a long time, and when I got a hold of it I had it sent off to tissue culture. Since she grows so differently than most of the phenos, with a much more pronounced thai influence in branch/bud structure you now have my interest peaked if I might see some things happen in the progeny of her S1 offspring?

Lol just realized my example happened to be pretty close to the actual happenstance as far as it being KT x Mex then KTmex x Columbian etc...

Synchronicity. Kewl.

:smoke out:

Have you made any seeds or is it still from last round of breeding? Lol how old are the seeds your germinating? You might have some tips on old seed stock a lot of people would like...
Sorry if I’m bothering you I’m (I guess it’s obvious at this point) just really into trying to pin down as much as possible before the whole world jumps into a genetics argument like with some other strains.. the more it’s documented now from the guy who has most of the story the better we can interpret what we see in the line as it continues to develop..

I’m just foggy on when the Columbian bx happened and if seeds have been made since then and if so how many times (generations inbred) and wether they were an open pollination or you or someone else did some selection or what have you..
Lol I promise I’ll (probably :biggrin:) leave you alone after this one:thank you:
If I’m pushing for info that doesn’t exist no biggie I just figured I and the other weed nerds out there might as well ask since you have so many other good answers :tiphat:

Wow.. I am so stoned I had to read this last one like 10 times to get a hold of it.. lol

Okay, so I made the regular seeds I am selling from the old seed stock that was handed down to me. I wrapped up that project a while ago, and have been testing the hell out of those seeds I harvested prior to releasing them.

The old seed stock (that I eventually got to germinate) were very old... but I cant guess at how old. All I know is that I was told that they were from either the 1st batch, or the next 2, of the originals. I know the people who grew them, and eventually left them to me had a tendency to grow for seeds only once in a while. Getting thousands in one harvest, and not needing more seeds for years. So that makes me guess, that not many ever got past an F3 from the originals.

I was told chances were about 0% of getting the old seeds to be viable, and man oh man do I love challenges.. so I took it just as that. I gave up a few times in frustration, even publicly telling people that my search for a good male was over and just not going to ever happen. In the end what worked best was a combination of soaks and using a specially made seed cracker. It probably was the cracker more than anything, but I know the soaks helped with the end viability. I found early on that with a ton of effort I could get some seeds to pop, but they often died shortly after that. So I talked to a lot of old growers and heard some of their methods with soaking the seeds, scoring the skins, and using seed crackers to get them to open up on a more consistent basis. I then used some other old school tricks people told me to try, to eventually get the seedlings to have a decent viability rate. Ill have to dig up the info on the stuff I used, to be able to really help anyone more in that area.

I finally got to where I was able to do a few large scale runs, and hunted through for the male I was looking for.. and along the way I found a female that I decided to breed with, instead of the clone cut which had been my plan all along. I came to the conclusion that mixing those could be going backwards in the genetics, and I only wanted to move in a forward direction. I also had the idea that trying to preserve the old stock, rather than breeding my known stable female in the clone I had to a male, would be a much better project in regards to me doing my part with this plant. Then it hit me that it was the only way to go, that if by crossing it to the clone I fucked things up and moved away from what the original stock had in them, that I would be doing no one but myself a favor.

Now when the Colombian bx came in with the old growers, what was told to me was that was sort of the point of where all these growers working together said, "yeah, we did it.. thats it." And stopped focusing on breeding that plant into what they wanted. Any seeds made after that were only for more seed stock. I have no idea how they bred the plants, no old notes, just oral stories and some memories of being around some shit as a kid. So I cant say, but only can guess, at whether they open pollinated, how they did the original breeding and selecting if at all, etc.. My guess is open pollination up until they backed it into the Colombian, essentially the last of the breeding of her. After that, I assume they selected plants to make more seed stock and used isolation rather than open pollinating.

Hope that helps my brother! :)

YukonKronic

Yuppers that helps plenty! Thanks Jake.. would love to see pics of your preserved seed stock growing too instead of just the clone... lol until I can grow my own that is...
I finally stopped by your website and found the rest of your story there. Quite illuminating and worth the read. Is it all pics of clone on your instagram or is that all the seeds you made too?

RomulanJake

Yuppers that helps plenty! Thanks Jake.. would love to see pics of your preserved seed stock growing too instead of just the clone... lol until I can grow my own that is...
I finally stopped by your website and found the rest of your story there. Quite illuminating and worth the read. Is it all pics of clone on your instagram or is that all the seeds you made too?

There are pics of it all on IG. Clone, seed testing, etc.

yahooman

So, Luis from ACE seeds has contacted me about carrying the regular seeds of our Romulan that we have. It seems like a done deal, but Luis has to get some things worked out on his end with their site before he makes an order. Since I just found out they have a whole forum set up for them here, I thought I'd ask some people what they thought of ACE possibly carrying Romulan?

What we have is made from old seed stock, and has some slight variety in the phenos but almost all are really strong pine scents/taste. A few run purple, and some rare ones are quite unique. I felt like asking around as ACE seems to mainly carry old landrace strains and the like.. and I think Luis' interest in our Romulan is in that it is a poly-hybrid of 4 landrace strains.
What do you all think.. Is it appropriate? :chin:

can you please explain your breeding process?and explain what the real romulan is?

YukonKronic

Was going to PM you whole story on the selfed inbred deal... it hits yield hard and isn’t really recommended except just to try and look at the “building blocks” in a plant/strain so to speak.. was actually an entirely accidental process..
I’ll send you a PM tomorrow your pretty close to 50 posts now...

RomulanJake

Was going to PM you whole story on the selfed inbred deal... it hits yield hard and isn’t really recommended except just to try and look at the “building blocks” in a plant/strain so to speak.. was actually an entirely accidental process..
I’ll send you a PM tomorrow your pretty close to 50 posts now...

Well then Ill leave this here to get me closer to 50. :laughing:

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings RomulanJake. If Luis did indeed contact you. I would work with Ace seeds. Great working opportunity that one shouldn't turn up. You have done a lot of work to get to this point like other users have stated. Why not get your work credited by your peers? They will do great justice to the Romulan genetics.

So, Luis from ACE seeds has contacted me about carrying the regular seeds of our Romulan that we have. It seems like a done deal, but Luis has to get some things worked out on his end with their site before he makes an order. Since I just found out they have a whole forum set up for them here, I thought I'd ask some people what they thought of ACE possibly carrying Romulan?

What we have is made from old seed stock, and has some slight variety in the phenos but almost all are really strong pine scents/taste. A few run purple, and some rare ones are quite unique. I felt like asking around as ACE seems to mainly carry old landrace strains and the like.. and I think Luis' interest in our Romulan is in that it is a poly-hybrid of 4 landrace strains.

What do you all think.. Is it appropriate? :chin:

RomulanJake

Greetings RomulanJake. If Luis did indeed contact you. I would work with Ace seeds. Great working opportunity that one shouldn't turn up. You have done a lot of work to get to this point like other users have stated. Why not get your work credited by your peers? They will do great justice to the Romulan genetics.

I 100% agree.. I had no idea how respected they actually are, and truthfully knew nothing about them when Luis contacted me. After posting here, and joining up here, Ive learned a lot in short order.. Im digging this place man. :)

HerbBert

Hi RomulanJake,

Really interesting history! (took me a few searches to find your website)

Your comments and Yukons description sound good, Romulan seems like something that would be good for me.

Can you poin me to more smoke reports of your Romulan? places like leafly seem to list Romulan as an indica with it having more typical indica effects like being sleepy (so not a true "Romulan" im guessing).

I remember enjoying c99 and c99xRomulan with no sleepy effects (along time ago) so a "true" Romulan like yours should be a good one for me.

Also im interested as to how your Original Romulan, Fem Romulan and Inbred Line will differ?

:ying:

hey 49 posts 1 to go :)

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
Can you poin me to more smoke reports of your Romulan? places like leafly seem to list Romulan as an indica with it having more typical indica effects like being sleepy (so not a true "Romulan" im guessing).

ime, leafly is about as reliable as an alcoholic lead singer.

with that said, i would also like tons of smoke reports hahaha

if romulan turns out to not have a heavy, water-wading development, i think i would like it a lot from what i've read on its unique genetics.

Happy Times

Interesting you should say that.. I'm selfing the clone cut of Romulan that I have. The one that my Pops buddy kept alive for a long time, and when I got a hold of it I had it sent off to tissue culture. Since she grows so differently than most of the phenos, with a much more pronounced thai influence in branch/bud structure you now have my interest peaked if I might see some things happen in the progeny of her S1 offspring?

:smoke out:

Wow.. I am so stoned I had to read this last one like 10 times to get a hold of it.. lol

Okay, so I made the regular seeds I am selling from the old seed stock that was handed down to me. I wrapped up that project a while ago, and have been testing the hell out of those seeds I harvested prior to releasing them.

The old seed stock (that I eventually got to germinate) were very old... but I cant guess at how old. All I know is that I was told that they were from either the 1st batch, or the next 2, of the originals. I know the people who grew them, and eventually left them to me had a tendency to grow for seeds only once in a while. Getting thousands in one harvest, and not needing more seeds for years. So that makes me guess, that not many ever got past an F3 from the originals.

I was told chances were about 0% of getting the old seeds to be viable, and man oh man do I love challenges.. so I took it just as that. I gave up a few times in frustration, even publicly telling people that my search for a good male was over and just not going to ever happen. In the end what worked best was a combination of soaks and using a specially made seed cracker. It probably was the cracker more than anything, but I know the soaks helped with the end viability. I found early on that with a ton of effort I could get some seeds to pop, but they often died shortly after that. So I talked to a lot of old growers and heard some of their methods with soaking the seeds, scoring the skins, and using seed crackers to get them to open up on a more consistent basis. I then used some other old school tricks people told me to try, to eventually get the seedlings to have a decent viability rate. Ill have to dig up the info on the stuff I used, to be able to really help anyone more in that area.

I finally got to where I was able to do a few large scale runs, and hunted through for the male I was looking for.. and along the way I found a female that I decided to breed with, instead of the clone cut which had been my plan all along. I came to the conclusion that mixing those could be going backwards in the genetics, and I only wanted to move in a forward direction. I also had the idea that trying to preserve the old stock, rather than breeding my known stable female in the clone I had to a male, would be a much better project in regards to me doing my part with this plant. Then it hit me that it was the only way to go, that if by crossing it to the clone I fucked things up and moved away from what the original stock had in them, that I would be doing no one but myself a favor.

Now when the Colombian bx came in with the old growers, what was told to me was that was sort of the point of where all these growers working together said, "yeah, we did it.. thats it." And stopped focusing on breeding that plant into what they wanted. Any seeds made after that were only for more seed stock. I have no idea how they bred the plants, no old notes, just oral stories and some memories of being around some shit as a kid. So I cant say, but only can guess, at whether they open pollinated, how they did the original breeding and selecting if at all, etc.. My guess is open pollination up until they backed it into the Colombian, essentially the last of the breeding of her. After that, I assume they selected plants to make more seed stock and used isolation rather than open pollinating.

Hope that helps my brother! :)

Awesome info

RomulanJake

Hi RomulanJake,

Really interesting history! (took me a few searches to find your website)

Your comments and Yukons description sound good, Romulan seems like something that would be good for me.

I remember enjoying c99 and c99xRomulan with no sleepy effects (along time ago) so a "true" Romulan like yours should be a good one for me.

Also im interested as to how your Original Romulan, Fem Romulan and Inbred Line will differ?

:ying:

hey 49 posts 1 to go :)

I will list what I've heard people say, and then add my own observations. The list directly below is for the clone only cut, which will also be the feminized seeds we eventually release in September, or the clones that Dark Heart Nursery will eventually release sometime this year most likely. These quotes are all paraphrased, but I am pretty close to what these different people said and near to verbatim.

From other smokers:

"Its just like a dab. Like it hits so hard and potent, and filled my lungs just like a took a massive dab." - indoor grown

"Strongest terps of any extract Ive ever tasted. Probably the best dabs Ive ever had." - Extract made from outdoor grown

"Its the only other strain besides OG that still gets me high. Really good high, I feel giggly and happy. And my body is like totally numb." - light dep grown

"Super complex taste, very unique when compared to the other Romulans you can find out there. Really intense high when you smoke more than a hit or two. Smoke expands in your lungs, and leaves you instantly feeling totally saturated. But its hybrid style of high balances out quickly and you will feel happy, giggly, and ready to hang out and talk all night long." - indoor grown

"Super potent, with no anxiety or stress. No heart pounding. Really, really good herb." - indoor grown

Smokers who have tried our regular seeds Romulan bud, all indoor grown:

"Super piney, wow.. like Ive never had herb that tasted that strong of pine. Really good high too. Relaxing, happy, but not like Im gonna have to sleep it off."

"The purple one tasted like a rose, like a fresh rose.. or something close to it. Maybe rose like incenses or something. And oh whoa.. its super strong. My head feels like its gonna pop off and float away."

"Why is my face numb? Is your face numb? Like I can barely feel my teeth."

"DUUUUUDE.. Ive waited years to smoke herb like this again. Its just like that Christmas tree herb taste that I got back in the day."

"Super frosty, really old school looking. You did good growing it bro.. let me take a bong hit and see if its as good as it looks. (Takes hit. Coughs a lot.) ..Holy fuck! Bro, is this even weed? (laughs) ..seriously, this is some really good shit. Can I get some from you, like you got extra bro?"

My own personal experience (Im an extremely heavy smoker.. usually a 1g. bong rip per hour, or more):

The clone cut is one of the only strains I can smoke over and over again, and feel the same high every time. Ive tried to smoke myself stupid with it, and it apparently has no real ceiling because each toke I took just seemed to make me higher and higher. I started to hallucinate, and ended up smoking so much I could barely walk, got a massive headache right before passing out and woke up the next day with a hang over that lasted until around dinner time. Smoked at least a 1/4 to 1/2 oz that night in a few hours time. It tastes like Skunk-Pine most times, others like spicy-eucalyptus or an earthy-pepper sandalwood. Its so strange, that each bowl seems to have its own complexity in tastes. The herb all will smell the same, but different nugs seem to give you slightly different tastes. The high is extremely potent, but not the kind that make you sleepy or want to pass out. It leaves you with an equal head and body high, and no anxiety even with large doses. I feel super giggly, happy, euphoric, and creative.. deep thinking. When I smoke a large amount, it is easy to fall asleep but its not like it forces you to do it. More or less leaves you so relaxed that you can easily slip away into deep sleep, or just as easily hang out by a campfire for hours on end. High always seems to last 4-8 hours for me, with a slight drop off around 2-3hrs but it still lingers with you for several more. I get a lot of pain relief, and often have my teeth or face go numb with the first hit. Like Novocaine almost.

The regular seeds Romulan has several phenotypes in it. Most are pine, some are the complex tasting pheno, while a rare pheno is a rose/incense taste. All are potent, to extremely potent. Some are far more gorgeous to look at than others, but all are very trich covered. Most leave me happy, giggly and similar effects to the clone cut. But the rose pheno has less potency and more of a body high, more like an indica high than hybrid. One of the short, pine phenos hits me with much more sleepy effects and grogginess. But for the most part they are all a lot like the clone cut plant.

Now I'll explain the differences, and answer your last question:

The regular Romulan (aka Original) is the seeds we currently have available. They were made from old seed stock, the same batch that our clone only cut was selected from years ago. They have some variety, though slight. Some show purple traits, some grow and look identical to our clone cut, and almost all are a strong pine scent, as mentioned above.

The fem'd seeds Romulan is made from our clone cut, passed through tissue culture and reversed then selfed to make feminized seeds. That plant is a potential cup winner, in every way. Anyone who values good, old school genetics.. should not go without growing that plant at some point.

The IBL we have planned is yet to come, but is being worked on currently and will be for the next year most likely. It will be as close to our clone cut as possible, but will be regular seeds. Essentially we are hunting through the seeds, and selecting only cuts that are identical to the clone cut. We plan to work these until they are as homogeneous as we can get. Only then we will do testing, and eventually release of the planned IBL seeds.

Also.. POST 50! :D

Dog Star

Veteran
I will list what I've heard people say, and then add my own observations. The list directly below is for the clone only cut, which will also be the feminized seeds we eventually release in September, or the clones that Dark Heart Nursery will eventually release sometime this year most likely. These quotes are all paraphrased, but I am pretty close to what these different people said and near to verbatim.

From other smokers:

"Its just like a dab. Like it hits so hard and potent, and filled my lungs just like a took a massive dab." - indoor grown

"Strongest terps of any extract Ive ever tasted. Probably the best dabs Ive ever had." - Extract made from outdoor grown

"Its the only other strain besides OG that still gets me high. Really good high, I feel giggly and happy. And my body is like totally numb." - light dep grown

"Super complex taste, very unique when compared to the other Romulans you can find out there. Really intense high when you smoke more than a hit or two. Smoke expands in your lungs, and leaves you instantly feeling totally saturated. But its hybrid style of high balances out quickly and you will feel happy, giggly, and ready to hang out and talk all night long." - indoor grown

"Super potent, with no anxiety or stress. No heart pounding. Really, really good herb." - indoor grown

Smokers who have tried our regular seeds Romulan bud, all indoor grown:

"Super piney, wow.. like Ive never had herb that tasted that strong of pine. Really good high too. Relaxing, happy, but not like Im gonna have to sleep it off."

"The purple one tasted like a rose, like a fresh rose.. or something close to it. Maybe rose like incenses or something. And oh whoa.. its super strong. My head feels like its gonna pop off and float away."

"Why is my face numb? Is your face numb? Like I can barely feel my teeth."

"DUUUUUDE.. Ive waited years to smoke herb like this again. Its just like that Christmas tree herb taste that I got back in the day."

"Super frosty, really old school looking. You did good growing it bro.. let me take a bong hit and see if its as good as it looks. (Takes hit. Coughs a lot.) ..Holy fuck! Bro, is this even weed? (laughs) ..seriously, this is some really good shit. Can I get some from you, like you got extra bro?"

My own personal experience (Im an extremely heavy smoker.. usually a 1g. bong rip per hour, or more):

The clone cut is one of the only strains I can smoke over and over again, and feel the same high every time. Ive tried to smoke myself stupid with it, and it apparently has no real ceiling because each toke I took just seemed to make me higher and higher. I started to hallucinate, and ended up smoking so much I could barely walk, got a massive headache right before passing out and woke up the next day with a hang over that lasted until around dinner time. Smoked at least a 1/4 to 1/2 oz that night in a few hours time. It tastes like Skunk-Pine most times, others like spicy-eucalyptus or an earthy-pepper sandalwood. Its so strange, that each bowl seems to have its own complexity in tastes. The herb all will smell the same, but different nugs seem to give you slightly different tastes. The high is extremely potent, but not the kind that make you sleepy or want to pass out. It leaves you with an equal head and body high, and no anxiety even with large doses. I feel super giggly, happy, euphoric, and creative.. deep thinking. When I smoke a large amount, it is easy to fall asleep but its not like it forces you to do it. More or less leaves you so relaxed that you can easily slip away into deep sleep, or just as easily hang out by a campfire for hours on end. High always seems to last 4-8 hours for me, with a slight drop off around 2-3hrs but it still lingers with you for several more. I get a lot of pain relief, and often have my teeth or face go numb with the first hit. Like Novocaine almost.

The regular seeds Romulan has several phenotypes in it. Most are pine, some are the complex tasting pheno, while a rare pheno is a rose/incense taste. All are potent, to extremely potent. Some are far more gorgeous to look at than others, but all are very trich covered. Most leave me happy, giggly and similar effects to the clone cut. But the rose pheno has less potency and more of a body high, more like an indica high than hybrid. One of the short, pine phenos hits me with much more sleepy effects and grogginess. But for the most part they are all a lot like the clone cut plant.

Now I'll explain the differences, and answer your last question:

The regular Romulan (aka Original) is the seeds we currently have available. They were made from old seed stock, the same batch that our clone only cut was selected from years ago. They have some variety, though slight. Some show purple traits, some grow and look identical to our clone cut, and almost all are a strong pine scent, as mentioned above.

The fem'd seeds Romulan is made from our clone cut, passed through tissue culture and reversed then selfed to make feminized seeds. That plant is a potential cup winner, in every way. Anyone who values good, old school genetics.. should not go without growing that plant at some point.

The IBL we have planned is yet to come, but is being worked on currently and will be for the next year most likely. It will be as close to our clone cut as possible, but will be regular seeds. Essentially we are hunting through the seeds, and selecting only cuts that are identical to the clone cut. We plan to work these until they are as homogeneous as we can get. Only then we will do testing, and eventually release of the planned IBL seeds.

Also.. POST 50! :D

Bring it on bro.. this kind of weed am definitly need for mine medical problems... those explanations just live me aroused and weed-horny... :biggrin: LOL

Am also like its a pine taste,these kind of terps made me good
and i miss pine strains in life..

How much time we will need to wait it hits ACE and does it will
be sold as regular or feminized version????

Kind regards RomulanJake

RomulanJake

Bring it on bro.. this kind of weed am definitly need for mine medical problems... those explanations just live me aroused and weed-horny... :biggrin: LOL

Am also like its a pine taste,these kind of terps made me good
and i miss pine strains in life..

How much time we will need to wait it hits ACE and does it will
be sold as regular or feminized version????

Kind regards RomulanJake

ACE has only inquired about our regular seeds of Romulan. I have no idea of when.. still waiting to hear back from Luis as he said to me last that he wanted to do this, but had to get some issues with his website taken care of first.

HerbBert

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!

Your Romulan really dose sound like a strain that would suit me well (and possibly even my mother).

Personally I think I'd go with the fems so I can do a full 9 plant run to choose a keeper or 2 or 3 from :) .

But I would have to be able to order them from Europe or pay stupidly high tax amounts (like double or more).

I hope you sort out a deal with ACE at some point i'm sure you could make some brilliant hybrids between you too.

RomulanJake

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!

Your Romulan really dose sound like a strain that would suit me well (and possibly even my mother).

Personally I think I'd go with the fems so I can do a full 9 plant run to choose a keeper or 2 or 3 from :) .

But I would have to be able to order them from Europe or pay stupidly high tax amounts (like double or more).

I hope you sort out a deal with ACE at some point i'm sure you could make some brilliant hybrids between you too.

Our website ships internationally, and does not charge any tax. Only additional shipping is added for international orders, and depending on where you are it could be $30-40 US additional to order from our website. We only ship with tracking numbers and via expedited methods, so things arrive quickly.
:)