What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellow Plants During Flower!! HELP!!

Clayton_Bigsby

OK, My plants have been turning yellow with 4+ weeks of flower left. I know they are supposed to yellow off when their about ready but my White Widow did it way to early and now my Jack Herer is starting to follow the same route. All My plants veg nice and green and flower the first half all green and healthy. its these last 3-4 weeks of flower that bother me.

They are completely Organic. I use Pro Mix mixed with EWC and Fox Farms Ocean Forest. They are in 5 gal pots. I feed them a compost tea of Compost, EWC, Molasses & Humic Acids. I also top dress with a mixture of Kelp and guano and i use Neptunes Harvest sometimes also. I know that sounds like a lot but i don't over do it and the lady's get plenty of pure water. I use tap water bubbled for 24 hours and its PH is about 6.7. I never really test soil runoff PH because you shouldn't have to with pure organics.

The room stays 75-77 degrees while the lights are on and will drop to 60-65 while the lights are off.

The White Widow is beyond being saved. I'm just waiting for it to finish. Also the white widow has stopped drinking water if that helps to know. The Jack Herer is what I'm trying to save. I cant even tell if the leaves are starting to yellow from the inside out or the outside in. Its like the whole leaf starts to turn a little yellow then completely yellow then dead! My first guess would be nitrogen deficiency but something tells me other wise.

Pics of the stages of leaf death

Now the Jack Herer, Which i believe is still save-able.

BIGGS

Veteran
check for root aphids bro. mine looked very similar when i got hit by those bastards.

S

SeaMaiden

Yeah, I hate to say this but that looks like a classic progression of symptoms caused by root aphid infestation.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Yer pH is a lil high, but go find yer best Sherlock Holmes magnifing glass and go huntin fer bugs on yer roots.

Botaniguard can be applied up to the day of harvest; takes about 7 days to start to eliminate bugs tho.

makes me wana cry.

Clayton_Bigsby

Good point fellas that i have already been investigating myself. A couple weeks ago i noticed a couple fungas gnats flying around the room so i went out and bought mosquito dunks. I only thought the gnats had attacked my VERY slow growing clones but applied it on every other plant as well.

Last night while i was watering, i noticed these bugs on the surface of the soil. After A brief search, i found out they are probably symphilids. I heard mosquito dunks work well with them but what are other organic ways of getting rid of em?

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
First and formost - KNOW THY ENEMY. Then and only then will you know what weapon you need.

You seen the bugs and say "symphilids".

Clayton_Bigsby

Yes I have spent the day spying around my room. poured water on the soil and these little bugs come to the surface. I collect a sample and looked at them under my microscope. They definitely resemble Springtails more than Symphilids. The problem with this is Springtails cause no problems!!! So what the hell could be killing my plants? I have A LOT OF THEM THOUGH! i mean their everywhere!!

I also caught a Gnat/ and or aphid in a jar with a cottonball of rubbing alcohol so i didnt damage it while it dies. Im going to let yall decide what it is. It most definitely looks like a fungus gnat to me. I'm 99% sure it is. I put my camera up to my loupe to try to get a good pic here they are.

Clayton_Bigsby

Could Fungus gnats possibly cause that much damage? I mean there is only like 2 or 3 flying around the room when i go in there.

No... a few fungus gnats will not cause that much devastation.

I always like to make sure I attack the most obvious source of a problem first. It could be that you simply haven't fed your plants enough food. Your first guess may just be right.

Take a plant or two and hit them hard with some food. If they take it and start to green up a bit...then you'll know.

nukklehead

Way too many pros above for me to conflict but it looks like you grow organic soil ( as do I) it appears you are less then 2 weeks from harvest ????... All mine look like that and I have NO insect infestation. I just call it the natural yellowing of the dying process taking up nutes in leaves. Makes for smoother smoke.. assuming there are no bugs in it .. tee hee... Dunno dude maybe some mild N or Mg lockout near harvest.. which I always seem to experience... But Yellow leaves at harvest doesnt ALWAYS mean anything is that wrong.

Clayton_Bigsby

OK, yes i do recycle soil but i haven't yet as this is my first round. the only thing that worries me is the slow mature rate once they start yellowing. My white widow has looked like it has 1 week left for the past 3 weeks. And the white widow isn't even drinking water. My water goes through an aqua pure filter that takes rust particles and chlorine out then i bubble it for an extra day also.

S

SeaMaiden

That doesn't sound like a normal progression of an aging plant as it nears the end of its natural life. It sounds like a stressed plant. I've assumed, perhaps erroneously, that you have already attempted pushing some nitrogen. Have you? And if so, in what form? I'm going to suggest trying some pee. Dilute 5:1 water:urine.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aqua pure filter

Most of these add sodium or potassium to the water by ion exchange , usually not enougth to harm canna but can kill sensitives like African violets.

That leaf yellowing looks similar to my recent root aphid nightmare , if you can radically bend the mainstem and it feels floppy it could be them , my effected plants stopped takeing up water around week four.

The flyers emerge dureing the dark cycle and move to the next pot , they ignore lights and yellow traps , you may not see one till they are well established.

S

SeaMaiden

When I had them the flyers stuck to the sticky yellow traps, but they have to be set at pot-level or they'll ignore them. You'll need to examine the roots themselves, where the aphid larvae dwell. They look like teeny tiny aphids. They were too small for me to see, I was never able to directly observe an aphid in the root zone. But I was able to diagnose based on everything else that occurred, along with the presence of the flyers.

Latest posts

Latest posts