What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

portable a/c

dmtcorey

anyone got some experience with the portable a/c units?
summers a comin and we got to get set up right ya know?

maybe just using a ragular unit would be better ,but with the way my set up is i would have to have it in the down stairs window and pipe the cool air to the upstairs witch would be a pain in the ass,

what you guys think ?:thank you:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what do you need to know? I use one for 1600w. Its a 12k btu Portable. The issue with these is there not as efficient then window units and if you dont have adequate scrubbers they can vent the smell out..

I have 2 can 33 in a 10x 10 room. With this setup I have not had any smell problems. The unit will keep the room at what ever temp I want. Keep the hose as close to the vent as possible it gets very hot and will radiate heat back into the room.

dmtcorey

i guess im interested in how they compair to the window unite and if people have any troouble with them and what not.maybe there a pain in the ass,im not sure !

see what others say!

thanks fellas

Last edited:
T

TribalSeeds

The guys at the hydro store wouldnt even sell me one of these things. They say they are worthless. I was rocking a window banger and it was terrible. SUper loud and never stopped running.
Get a mini split. I saw 9K units at home depot for $750. They always have 10-15% of coupons, so Im sure you could get a steal on one of those. I went with a Frostbox because I didnt want anyone to come over and install the unit. If youre in the middle of grows and can break down for a day I would recommend you go that route depending ont he size of your grow. However, I couldnt recommend a portable because Ive never heard anything good about them.

dragunn

a good window unit will prevent the smell from leaking out and use less amps.i you have an extra 1,500 go for the split system.

G

Guest 18340

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a mini split AC...
If you shop around and are willing to start off with a lesser known brand of mini split then you can have one for not much more than the price of a portable.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've run a portable 6k for a couple a year and it is not efficient but it works. However, my situation is different than most. I really wouldn't recommend using a portable, because of it's inefficiency, I'd go with a mini split.
If we didn't have an indirect trunk coming from a 4ton hvac system, then I bet our port.ac wouldn't be working as well as it does with our current setup.
Save the money & get the mini split.

dmtcorey

i guess the window unit is the way to go !

just checked some prices at home depot and you can pick a 6000btu up for under $200,9000 for$300 and a 12000 for $400
not to bad ,but i guess the ones with the best ratings with be the best pick

dmtcorey

so the the split style has no need for venting heat or something about a heat pump?didnt realize this was differnt from a window unit

MrAwder

What about the dual hose portables? I'm in a situation where I can't fit a window ac in the tiny window I have. I heard the dual hose units are supposed to be nearer the efficiency of window ones.

audiohi

Veteran
I just picked up a frigidair 12k btu portable ac/heater/dehumidifier. I'll post my results when it comes time to use it.

T

TribalSeeds

What about the dual hose portables? I'm in a situation where I can't fit a window ac in the tiny window I have. I heard the dual hose units are supposed to be nearer the efficiency of window ones.

Whats terrible about that is that window AC units arent efficient at all. The internal components of the portable get super hot in the room and then you have to run the AC just to cool the radiant heat from the AC. I didnt want a window unit inside ducted out for the same reason.
My frigidaire was an Energy Star and was only 9 seer. My mini split is 16 seer and runs ons 220V. Ill probably save the difference in cost on just a couple cycles.
A mini split needs a 2.5" hole to come into the building.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The one I got 5 years ago has been fantastic. I have not had any trouble with it. It has a built in Dehumidifier that I use sometimes great unit for a portable. Unit is a LG not made anymore.. You cant compare portables to any other units. If you have the money Mini Split. Running a window unit like you have is also out. You have 2 choices mini split or Portables

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol that would cool my bathroom maybe.. He cant use a window unit, His first post says he would need to run hose from the cooling port all the way upstairs thats just not gonna happen. With a 5k unit not even close.

I paid 600$ for my Potrtable and that was 5 years ago with the unit taking a 2 year break from use.

Clayton_Bigsby

OOO ok... I have a small underground grow room and now that summer is starting to heat way up im starting to have heating problems. I think the $100 one from Home Depot will be enough to bring my temps down 5-10 degrees.