What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange Slime buildup on roots

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran

Here it is. The other stuff 'No More Algae' from Petco didn't do anything.

Physan 20 in action. Foams up like crazy. FYI, Triple Action is the same thing. It just has an anti foaming agent and is not available in CA.

I thought my system was clean, but knew it wasn't because of the pH creeps on RO water. Look at what the foaming action has brought up in just an hour. Behold, the hydro nasties are dying and surfacing when I couldn't see anything.

G

i said once i say it again, go buy dyna-gro protekt, it wont cure your already fucked plants but it will fix your next run.

richyrich

Veteran
thadocta said:
i said once i say it again, go buy dyna-gro protekt, it wont cure your already fucked plants but it will fix your next run.

Thanks for your advice with the added attitude, but your advice dont apply to me. My plants roots are perfectly fine at this point. I have caught this algae problem at its infancy and nothing that is suggested for root rot has taken care of it. I dont want to mask a problem. I want to know what the exact problem is, eradicate the problem and never get it again. Thanks, but no thanks.

And I have used most of the Advanced Nutrient lineup, including Barricade which is the same as your suggested Dyna Gro Protekt. They both are potassium silicate. Guess what, it didnt work for me in the past.

I believe I have been suffering algae blooms of brown slime algae. When an algae bloom starts, good fuckin luck. Ever heard of a red tide. That is an algae bloom that kills everything, especially in a lake.

Nothing stops it, except maybe this Physan 20. Will find out soon. Ph has been stable thus far and the foam keeps on bringing up crap.

If all the rest of you want a good product to protect your roots, prevent root rot and make your roots grow the craziest I have ever seen.

ROOT EXCELURATOR by House and Garden. Kinda new to the market. Around 80 bucks for the smallest bottle. It will catch on soon. It is the shit.

richyrich

Veteran
chinese-mecican said:
i think i have the same problem you have but mine is really bad. How should i get rid of it? I run advanced sensi pro 2 plus, voodoo juice, b-52, carbo load, sensizye, sweet leaf, big bud , overdrive, final phase. I just got some hydroguard. Will hydroguard prevent this from happening on my next harvest? I use RO water from the store.

If you want to save the run of plants you have now. Control temps, buy chiller if you have to. Dont even consider anything else until you do this. Then run Sensizyme to decompose all the dead roots so the rot dont have food. Then run SM90 and H2O2 for the rest of the crop. The nasties will be around, just gonna have to keep them at bay until the next crop. Then you can bleach everything down and run beneficials then or go sterile again.

Only run the 2 part nutes, no organics. Drop everything else. Especially the carbo load, that is just more food for the rot.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
Ph holding steady still. Fingers crossed still. Funky stuff still floating up dead. Plants look perkier than they have been lately. All good signs so far.

richyrich

Veteran
Ph still steady. I am currently going to continue this grow with SM90 and H2O2. Looks like things are gonna work out. So, far Physan 20 gets the big thumbs up.

S

stonedeconomist

is there a reason you can't just use this Physan 20 in the nutrient soultion all the time like GH Florashield?

icough2getoff

I think the stuff is pretty toxic. Most applications of it are for sterilization of your grow room or foliar/spray applications. I used just a few drops in a smaller amount of water when I was cleaning my res and the fingers I held the sponge with had some skin burn off. Also most people I talk to only use it for a few short hours. I used it for a couple days in one of my two dwc tubs and those plants didn't seem to like it much.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
stonedeconomist said:
is there a reason you can't just use this Physan 20 in the nutrient soultion all the time like GH Florashield?

I used it for less than 24 hours and dumped the resevoir. It works quick. It has been a couple of days since I used it. Now I can see my girls may have been a little stressed by it. When you have a bad pH problem that starts showing nute deficieny problems is what it looks like. You dont want to keep them in this very long.

Now, pH is stable. With RO water, that tells me everything is OK, so far. I could go beneficials. If I did I would go with the Root Excelurator. I will say again that it is the shit. Not much info on it here. Its a newer product and is pricey. To play it safe, Im going to run this grow out with SM90 and 1ml per gallon of 35% H2O2 every other day. Plus, SM90 smells so good.

When you want to save a grow and have to disinfect, this is the ticket. It gets rid of everything including this damn algae which is a whole new ball game. THe amounts of H2O2 needed to kill the algae would of killed my plants and bleach is an obvious no, no. This is the ticket. It only cost $8.99. 5ml per 52 gallons, one bottle will last forever. Time to buy stock in this stuff. There aint enough info on it here. If I only would have known about it a year ago, how much work, money, frustration and agony I would of been saved from. Thanks to this wonderful site and Overgrow (RIP), I was doing everything right and always got root rot. My best theory now is that I always had this algae that suffocated my roots and then they rotted, hence the root rot. I had tried everything for root rot with no success. TO the point of swearing to never grow again. What a learning lesson. I felt compelled to post away with pics here when I would otherwise never do because of my extreme gratitude.

To the few in the beginning of this thread that mentioned the Physan, thank you. You dont know how much you helped me. "Pay it forward"

Results after ten minutes.

And now I look forward to my Purple Kush.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
How do we get this as a must read. Like a sticky up top. I think its in the best interest for most to be informed of this brown slime algae.

richyrich

Veteran
Snowdog27 said:
Dose it look like this?

this is after a couple of days, notice that the roots and slime are still somewhat white.

This is after about a week or so.

it starts off clear like snot and if not treated it will start to look like those pics, it turns brown when the roots start to die off. If this is what you are experiencing it is not root rot but a type of algae, that choke's the roots of your plants. If this is what you are going through the only thing I found that took care of the problem is Physan 20.
Hope this helps

Thank you.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Great thread! I had to keep some clones in the bubbler longer than I wanted to and I ended up with this same slimy stuff on the clones roots. The roots stopped growing and the plants look less than happy. As a side note, I added some Hygrozyme to the bubbler so there may be a connection as others have noted.

Now Im debating whether to scrap these clones and start over (avoid introducing this into my system altogether) or buy the Physan and take a shot with it. H2O2 has helped a little bit (I could see the bubbling in the roots kinda like the CO2 in a soda). This algae is some nasty stuff.

EDIT: decided to not risk it and tossed the clones.

Last edited:

trybud

ive never had a problem cloning until i got that brown slime this early may. i threw away more clones last month than i have in my entire grow history. i just ordered physan20 from wormsway and was wondering how to apply it to my bubble cloner. do i just bubble them in the solution for a bit or do i remove from system and spray affected areas? (cut tips)

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
trybud said:
ive never had a problem cloning until i got that brown slime this early may. i threw away more clones last month than i have in my entire grow history. i just ordered physan20 from wormsway and was wondering how to apply it to my bubble cloner. do i just bubble them in the solution for a bit or do i remove from system and spray affected areas? (cut tips)

Did you get it in May then disinfect your cloner but it has come back again? I bathed all my cloning tools in bleach so hopefully it wont come back.

trybud

i was using bleach, h2o2, and daconil. the h202 foamed up on the infected areas and cleaned them up but it never stopped it..i thought for sure it was root/or stem rot and treated accordingly with no results..i got the physan20 on the way to disinfect everything but im not sure how to apply it to infected cuts in a bubble cloner if it returns( see my Question above )

jarff

Richyrich ...you are the man.....I lost so many grows due to thinking this snot was root rot that I considered suicide...could never get info saying otherwise considering root rot.I spent much $$$ trying different strategies..and coming outta it with meager yields.This is the first thread that I have read that describes this shit to a "T"...
The bright light in my head came on....Now if we can conquer it we will die happy growers.I got this thread locked so pls.Richyeich give us play by play of the action in your pursuit of the slime from hell. I spent $200 for H202 every two months cleaning my gear and guess what ..I thought it was a gonner but the snot came back.Very next crop..There is a light at the end of the tunnel after all..I know you are right..I feel it in my heart..good for you..Pls. keep us informed..Thank you...I will sleep better tonite....sory for rant but ...but you gotta see the sense in this info.....
you the man Richeyrich..bless ya...
jarff

bazooka

Brown algae sticky needed?

Brown algae sticky needed?

I just wanted to bump this up and note what I have learned. I have posted my problem 2 on here w/ no one mentioning brown algae. Nor did my local grow shop. All said root rot. That didn't make sense because temps okay and plants lived through it, just stunted and not happy.

here is one of my posts w/ pictures

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53806

It always started after I flushed and added water back and my organic nutes. The next day the water would be murky and this slime would be growing on the roots. The water would clear up after 2 day or so but the damage was done. The roots and walls of the res were lined w/ brown slime. New roots would grow and they wouldn't get it until the next batch of nutes was added. I figured out how to keep the slime to a minimum by added my nutes in small increments over time. I would still get it but the roots would grow through it not having to grow new like before. If I added any supplement that contained nitrogen it would start the slime also.

I thought I would just have to live w/ it, but now I know I am not alone in my fight against the brown slime.

So after reading this thread it seems the consensus is that physan 20 is the only cure.

I just ordered some online.

Thx - you have given me hope.

I will post the picts here also

jarff

Bazooka .man you got some nasties there....Whenever I was about half way thru a grow that was getting this shit I,d dip the roots in a strong solution of peroxide (15%) it would basically burn the rot of them and I would try to do a clean up in the tables and I would end up with atleast a half yield..which is disgusting..but it sufficed b,cause I needed what ever I did get for yield.I have watched everything I did for the last year and came up with some solutions in my situation.If I used just thre part GH flora nutes +Kool Bloom I wouldn,t get the slime/rot,but if I added any additive like L/K or Floralicious,carbo load,fulvic or humics:the slime would start and from there on in it was an uphill battle.This run is the best yet.Not adding additives and after two weeks the roots are whitest to date.I,m leaving it at this and do the three part +KB all the way.I run swc in 4x4 tables with 16 Heavy Duty clones and about 10 x12 inch air stones running off two GH air pumps.Certainly a different set up but it has good yield.But the point is I have tremendous DO.The plants are in water all the time (7 wk strain)thus the reason for so much air.I changes the nutes in the tables every ten days.I also use RO water ph 5.8.When getting the slime the ph would fluctuate like crazy....this time constant 5.8...so in the end I,d say that the additives I was using was the problem leading to slime...then rootrot. But af with the same grow setup uses reg city water (whereas I am on a well) and he uses lots additives and he never gets any slime or rot.......
So...I do believe the prb. can be figured out it will just take time with the many ppl. who are experiencing the same woes.....It does start with slime ...but what causes it and how do we rectify it...I will watch my grow and report on a wekly basis to see if the additives were the prob in my particular case..
good luck...
jarff