What's new

Anyone use sulfur in hot weather?

Dube

I read that you aren't suppose to apply sulfur when temperatures exceed 80° but is that just for applying it or in general? Early morning and dusk are usually much lower than 80° around here, even in July, would it be ok to apply it then or should I just never apply it if I know the temps will be above 80° during the day?

PDX Dopesmoker

The biggest issue I've run into is powdery residue if I use too much concentrate or if I don't shake it up with the water enough.
I always spray it at night or after sundown just because that way the spray sits on the plant longer before evaporating & its pretty much never 80º at night here.
I only use it to treat russet mites, but apparently sulfur also inhibits PM for quite a while after spraying.
I had no russet mites last summer for the first time in 3 years so I used no sulfur spray last summer or the first time in 3 years and I found out which strains are naturally resistant to PM for the first time in 3 years.

gsxr97

Veteran
I have a huge bag of microthiol wettable sulfur.

I agree on residue and it also seems to be hard on plants .

Problem is once you get in a sulfur regimen you can't spray oils for certain time.

I'm determined to not have bugs this year. Trying to find just the right amount. 2 tablespoons is what I was doing ,

Planning on multiple sulfur sprays early on when they are outside .

Dube

The biggest issue I've run into is powdery residue if I use too much concentrate or if I don't shake it up with the water enough.
I always spray it at night or after sundown just because that way the spray sits on the plant longer before evaporating & its pretty much never 80º at night here.
I only use it to treat russet mites, but apparently sulfur also inhibits PM for quite a while after spraying.
I had no russet mites last summer for the first time in 3 years so I used no sulfur spray last summer or the first time in 3 years and I found out which strains are naturally resistant to PM for the first time in 3 years.
Yeah it definitely leaves a residue but I only use it when plants are vegging so I don't worry about that. Sulfur was a godsend for my indoor grow. I was struggling with pm for months that came in on clones. I tried getting the environment perfect but it still popped up. I sprayed with procidic2, regalia, potassium bicarbonate, horsetail tea, and they all did squat. They made it go away for a couple days but it kept doing back. As soon as I started spraying sulfur it just totally disappeared. I hit the plants a few times in veg and was good all the way until chop. Just like magic lol. I think I will alternate it with spinosad for the outdoor crop and quit spraying a week or two into flower.

Dube

I have a huge bag of microthiol wettable sulfur.

I agree on residue and it also seems to be hard on plants .

Problem is once you get in a sulfur regimen you can't spray oils for certain time.

I'm determined to not have bugs this year. Trying to find just the right amount. 2 tablespoons is what I was doing ,

Planning on multiple sulfur sprays early on when they are outside .

I don't use oils anyways so I'm not worried about that. Spinosad works very well for me for bugs. The plan this season is to alternate between spinosad and sulfur and hit them every 3-5 days or whenever I can find the time.

PDX Dopesmoker

Dry diatomaceous earth seems to eliminate just about every insect & it rinses off pretty cleanly if its applied before flowers form or not too long after. Sulfur & diatomaceous earth are the two things I found to be effective for russet mites.
I liked the sulfur better because it was easier to apply and because it helps with fungus & I thought it might have some benefit as a foliar nutrient. I'm not even positive that dry diatomaceous earth doesn't help with fungi by slicing up mycorrhizal filaments on the stem and leaf surfaces. If it can cut chitin on an insect exoskeleton then it should be able to cut up fungal chitin.

Latest posts

Latest posts