What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings stunted growth after week one

raCURE

picture.php

Sorry for bad pic.

Fine up until week one then not moved from size etc.

Last couple of days got some brown spots on leaves and the seedlings paler than would like also.

I’ve skipped a day on watering and gave them a spray tonight before lights out just in case I have over fed? And also increased the light distance in case too intense.

Anyone any other ideas? :(

raCURE

Edit::

Straight coco.
No nutes just PH water
Temps lights on around 20-22
Humidity 59-65%
Lights 18/6

Last edited:

raCURE

We need more information.
Is that straight coco ?
Have you given it nutrients. ?
What are your temperatures like ? humidity ? light schedule ?

Yeah sorry meant to write another post but got side tracked

Straight coco.
No nutes just PH water
Humidity 59-65%
Lights 18/6

Ta.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Need to supply some food for the plant as coco is good of nutrients.

1/4 strength veg food should get it growing again, ph 6.0

Cuddles

I grew coco for the first time last year and encountered the same problem. At first all was fine, then they´d stop growing. They seemed to do better after I fed them a little but then they just sort of dies on me anyway - after weeks (!). goog money down the proverbial toilet :(

The coco bricks I used did contain nutrients so I didn´t feed them at first as I way afraid of `burning them´.
I had read that coco was great for root development but the opposite was true in my case

I hope your won´t be the same and that your babies recover soon

raCURE

I grew coco for the first time last year and encountered the same problem. At first all was fine, then they´d stop growing. They seemed to do better after I fed them a little but then they just sort of dies on me anyway - after weeks (!). goog money down the proverbial toilet :(

The coco bricks I used did contain nutrients so I didn´t feed them at first as I way afraid of `burning them´.
I had read that coco was great for root development but the opposite was true in my case

I hope your won´t be the same and that your babies recover soon

Don’t be telling me that Cuddles! Lol

Fingers crossed.

I am using Canna Coco Pro+. I usually use 60/40 clay coco mix with clones and have zero issues but this is my first time using pure coco.

Hopefully they just needed a feed so I have used 2g MaxiBloom to 4 litres of water and gave them all a good spray.

If everything picks up with these girls I’ll be starting a grow diary for them.

Barneys cookies kush. :canabis:

Cuddles

soory, didn´t mean to scare you lol. I´m just still pissed off because I lost money and got no weed :(
I´ve never been the best of growers but still...
btw I nearly bought canna coco too but then I chose Hesi coco.

B.T. Herb

View Image

brown spots on leaves
means Ca.
listen to Lester Bean...
provide them a light flowering solution with some cal mag in

I’ve skipped a day on watering and gave them a spray tonight before lights out just in case I have over fed? And also increased the light distance in case too intense.

Anyone any other ideas? :(

raCURE
why sprying since leaf sufrace is so small. IMHO, spraying could come first when an occurant shortage shall be cured resorting to the activity of a wide formed leaf. yu need to feed them since early stage

but, raCure , are you really sure that you got 60/40 coco perlite in there?

Why?

Canna sells its coco at a 1.2 ec.... for example

for beginners i suggest to refuse those bricks. they need to be treated so.... if you have no clear idea on how to do it you'll be better doing a search about it.

good luck

Cuddles

Hi, I did research about coco first, otherwise I wouldn´t have tried it. The bricks are the only coco available round here and the reason I even contemplated coco was because the bricks are so light to carry - because I have no care anymore to transport the regular soil bags.

But as far as I´m concerned I´m off coco for the time being.

But maybe I´ll mix a little coco with the soil I managed to get ;)

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Straight coco.
No nutes just PH water
Humidity 59-65%
Lights 18/6
The seedling is starving.

You should feed it 0.4 EC of high P/K flowering solution and 0.1 EC of epsom salt, at a pH of 6.0.

A lot of people say seedlings don't need nutrients - that's because they don't know the right nutrients to feed them. Phosphorus for the roots, Potassium for the stems and Magnesium for the foliage. There's enough nitrogen in the air (NO3), especially outdoors.

When the plant has a few nodes and leaves on it, switch to 1/4 strength (0.4 EC) of a Coco A+B nutrient, and slowly work up from there.

Water slowly and thoroughly, until the medium is completely saturated. Then, don't feed again until the top of the soil no longer has moisture in it in the morning. Then feed again.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They need a dose of Ca+Mg, any CalMag product or powdered lime will sort it.
Happy growings,
CC

B.T. Herb

... completely saturated. Then, don't feed again until the top of the soil no longer has moisture in it in the morning. Then feed again.

Hi TanzaniaMagic,
don't mind if i dissent about that. few bad experience lead me to avoid from soaking the medium at this stage.So easy to end up with an hard chlorosis, a stunted growth and an almost sure death.then,have a look at the pic:

pot doesn't seem so small and there's almost no roots at this stage

...this could make the difference.
i'll stand for few frequent drops,even depending on enviromental factors. sound like it could help much more.

then i will probably raise ec straight to 0.6 starting from a 0.05 RO water

my cents

good luck

Stop spraying your plants. If you want to raise humidity cover them with a dome of some sort. I have used clear plastic cups before. Leaving the leaves wet encourages fungus. After watering I shake or flick as much water off the leaves as possible and make sure there is good there is good airflow once the plant is big enough.
Good luck.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi TanzaniaMagic,
don't mind if i dissent about that. few bad experience lead me to avoid from soaking the medium at this stage.So easy to end up with an hard chlorosis, a stunted growth and an almost sure death.then,have a look at the pic:
It's coco, which is very hard to overwater - although watering too often stunts root growth.

As long as you let the coco dry until the top of the coco is no longer moist in the morning, you're not going to overwater it. Think of watering as the plant being watered through evaporation from the soil, especially when the seedling is small and has almost no root system. Only water when the top of the soil is dry before the lights go on.

If you use 0.4 EC of a high P/K late flowering solution, and I have used:

- Plagron Green Sensation (0-9-10)
- Atami Bloombastic (0-20-30 then, now it's 0-20-20, and now they also have Atami PK 13-14)
- Canna PK 13/14

Notice the absence of nitrogen, which will burn plants.

Add 0.1 EC of epsom salt (MgSO4) and you get very green and phototropic leaves.

The Potassium causes strong, silvery green stems and gets rid of any purpling of the stems.

And think of it this way - in nature seeds always fall on soil that has some nutrients in it.

Summary:

tapwater
high P/K nutrient (0.4 EC)
epsom salt (0.1 EC)
pH for coco: 6.0 until mid-late flowering

Just try it, and you'll see it works.

What happens is that the Phosphorus really stimulates root growth, which sets the plant up for more efficient use of nutrients later on, which means you can continue to feed it nutrients at a lower concentration. Which also benefits the taste of the final product.

B.T. Herb

It's coco, which is very hard to overwater
howdy TanzaniaMagic, how are you?
different stages of plant growth recall different way to work about...so: considerating a well rooted pot, in that case, i bet no one could overwater anything.

- although watering too often stunts root growth.
by other hands,feeding a not well rooted cut too much for too long bring exactly to what you're stating. but these are different stages.in fact, when pot is so fully rooted that you can literally see some rhizomes coming vertically out of the top of the pot, a recurrant feeding is suggested.. we could say that it's even better

-
As long as you let the coco dry until the top of the coco is no longer moist in the morning, you're not going to overwater it.
to let them dry you must know what you are doing. when dried salts raise up.
on flowering, depending on environmental factors,on root mass, on pot measure, on crop size,on the different

flowering stages,on feeding solution and... even on strain, i can assure you that a day is not enough to see them drying at all and, if happens, you'll be better ask yourself if something better could be done. some strains then really hate to find themselves on a dried coco pot.someothers doesn't. i even guess this can afflict leaves relaxation but it's just a not verified empirical intuition.

Think of watering as the plant being watered through evaporation from the soil, especially when the seedling is small and has almost no root system. Only water when the top of the soil is dry before the lights go on.
i' m sorry, TanzaniaMagic, i must dissent. as far as coco is a inert medium, if you not feed them you'll end seeing your seedling dying. for sure. as well, if a young, tiny root get dry it will certainly dead.no moist can replace a feeding plan

If you use 0.4 EC of a high P/K late flowering solution, and I have used:

- Plagron Green Sensation (0-9-10)
- Atami Bloombastic (0-20-30 then, now it's 0-20-20, and now they also have Atami PK 13-14)
- Canna PK 13/14

Notice the absence of nitrogen, which will burn plants.

Add 0.1 EC of epsom salt (MgSO4) and you get very green and phototropic leaves.

The Potassium causes strong, silvery green stems and gets rid of any purpling of the stems.

And think of it this way - in nature seeds always fall on soil that has some nutrients in it.

Summary:

tapwater
high P/K nutrient (0.4 EC)
epsom salt (0.1 EC)
pH for coco: 6.0 until mid-late flowering

Just try it, and you'll see it works.

What happens is that the Phosphorus really stimulates root growth, which sets the plant up for more efficient use of nutrients later on, which means you can continue to feed it nutrients at a lower concentration. Which also benefits the taste of the final product.https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/animations/w_1100,ac_none/190710144049-kim-ja-in-2.mp4
for the simple reason that at the P increases plant tissue growth and , as you know, begin with N to high could conflict with P and K withdrawal due its accumulation. but i confess that my first feeding has even a little of N inside and them never get burn:redface:.

all the best

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
for the simple reason that at the P increases plant tissue growth and , as you know, begin with N to high could conflict with P and K withdrawal due its accumulation.
You're hypothesizing why it wouldn't work.

Like I said - just try it.

P doesn't randomly increase plant tissue growth - that's Nitrogen. P increases root growth.

B.T. Herb

RaCuRe,

we are hijacking your thread. i hope you don't mind.

You're hypothesizing why it wouldn't work.
Tanzania, brother, are you trying to challenge myself?

yes, i usually do. at least until results tell me i' m not wrong on it.:good:.
Like I said - just try it.
appreciated

P doesn't randomly increase plant tissue growth - that's Nitrogen. P increases root growth.

let me ask:is that an animal tissue?I've noticed that you require a particular attention to the meaning of words we are using.

anyway, we are talking about the chain of first metabolism.

not a chemist or biologist and won't boring you

so i'll suggest you a search about P on plant groth and what a lack on P could bring to your crop or at least

to open a thread on that. RaCuRe could gets... upset

al the best