What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking of switching from GH Flora Series to Jacks

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Was about to buy a few hundred worth of Flora series, and was thinking maybe powdered is better, and not paying for water being shipped across country. I like that Flora series in coco, has charts that tune for every single week of growth through flower. Anyone using Jacks that could point me in right direction? I filled out their form and never heard back from them, so thinking maybe the GH Flora series is better and they do not have a product line that compares.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Would reccomend .
check out this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=377492
basic premise is use jacks 321 base with a calcium boost first 3 weeks of flower, and a PK boost for weeks 4-6.

try starting out at half reccomended level. the full concentration can be a bit much. also many users here have reported better results using a 3-2.5 ratio of jacks to calnit.

Reason I really like GH, is they have mixing charts for every stage of growth, and can mix exact. I am not the kind of person that can look at a plant and say it has too much of this, or too little of that. It also must be meant for use in coco.

One thing I liked about Jack's, was a youtube video where they suggested monitoring runoff, which I did and had my best grow ever, while everyone was saying not to check it.

If I could find some charts for Jack's and know what products to buy, would probably do a side by side in same tent. Don't think I can get THC test done in my state.

https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Feedcharts/GH_FloraSeries-DTW_03216am.pdf

eyesdownchronic

nice thing with jacks is you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want.

i opted for the complicated route, . but people have reported great success using the 3-2.5 all throughout the cycle. the Bill farthing reccomendation is just base feed, plus Ca during the stretch, and MKP during bloom.

Here is a mock schedule. using BF reccomendation

Veg: (grams / gallon)
1.2 Jacks, 1 calnit , .4 epsom, .1 agsil 16H (optional) , 1ml Mr . F (optional)

Stretch
1.2 Jacks, 1 Calnit, .4 epsom, .8 gypsum (or other Ca product) , .1 agsil (optional) , 1 ml Mr. F (optional)

Bloom
1.2 Jacks, .8 - .6 Calnit, .4 epsom , .5 MKP , 1ml Mr. F (optional).

I would really reccomened starting from the 3-2.5 ratio at about half strength, and adjust from there. you will be pleased.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Reason I really like GH, is they have mixing charts for every stage of growth, and can mix exact. I am not the kind of person that can look at a plant and say it has too much of this, or too little of that. It also must be meant for use in coco.

One thing I liked about Jack's, was a youtube video where they suggested monitoring runoff, which I did and had my best grow ever, while everyone was saying not to check it.

If I could find some charts for Jack's and know what products to buy, would probably do a side by side in same tent. Don't think I can get THC test done in my state.

https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Feedcharts/GH_FloraSeries-DTW_03216am.pdf

Recipe from 1976

Much time later... Much time...

picture.php

I couldn't do anything with the chart so put the bottle contents on the list. Now it has some use :)

Edit: After digesting that a while, I see the basic 3 bottles joined by the 0-10-10 and some bollox. The advanced gains quite a bit more bollox but importantly the calmag omitted from the basic line.

holy

Watch grenegenes garden on YouTube.. he explains jacks 3-2-1 in detail. I switched to jacks from gh and never looked back. Pretty much full strength same formula from veg til flush.. no different veg and bloom ratios. I've had the most consistent healthy plants on jacks. Plus I'd rather support a family company than a company like Bayer/Monsanto..

Loc Dog

Veteran
I will have to research it more. Will likely get a small amount, and do a side by side next run. Will judge by grams per watt, trimmed and cured to 63%. Would like to find some way to get THC levels tested also. I am still running GG4 which is clone, so no difference with phenotypes.

I should also use MyNameStitch's infirmary guide to see if any issues during growth. I am not color blind, but can not see as many variances as others, so rough for me to read plants.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have a bottle of Flora Bloom that was out in sun for a few weeks after I moved. It is no longer pink. Do you think it could be ruined. Can sun change the molecular structure? Have some on order, but could be a couple of weeks.

CaptainDankness

I've been using Jack's classic for years, I love it. I use the all purpose and bloom booster almost the same as the directions and it's great weed every time. I use promix for the soil and the girls love it.

I did do just fine with cannabis specific nutrients but I tried the Jack's classic and it's just as good.

ive been running veg/bloom powder nutes for 4 runs and am now looking for liquid nutes. too many times ive left the bottle open on accident for one night and it all gets clumped/soggy. btw does anyone know if that is bad for the nutes?

Hiddenjems

Feed charts are one of the reasons “led lights kill plants”. Those charts weren’t calculated for plants moving less water than hids being blasted with 1000 ppfd.

This is why you see led growers running ec’s over 3 without burning the plants. It’s not a “calmag” problem. It’s mostly a solution strength issue.

Feed charts are one of the reasons “led lights kill plants”. Those charts weren’t calculated for plants moving less water than hids being blasted with 1000 ppfd.

This is why you see led growers running ec’s over 3 without burning the plants. It’s not a “calmag” problem. It’s mostly a solution strength issue.
man im running 850w spiderfarm led's and just fried/nutelocked my plants at 1.6ec vegbloom.

ILSID

Was about to buy a few hundred worth of Flora series, and was thinking maybe powdered is better, and not paying for water being shipped across country. I like that Flora series in coco, has charts that tune for every single week of growth through flower. Anyone using Jacks that could point me in right direction? I filled out their form and never heard back from them, so thinking maybe the GH Flora series is better and they do not have a product line that compares.
try the Lotus line. stuff is impressive. salts. you can buy a 25$ tester from amazon to try out. i’ve never had better results from any of the big lines. i’ve done several side by side comparisons with same genetics, and the Lotus plants far exceed the rest. tbh i couldn’t believe it the first time, because there was such a difference in plants. so i did it again and had the same results. Im not affiliated w them in any way. i strongly encourage everyone to try them out.

sajesak

nice thing with jacks is you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want.

i opted for the complicated route, . but people have reported great success using the 3-2.5 all throughout the cycle. the Bill farthing reccomendation is just base feed, plus Ca during the stretch, and MKP during bloom.

Here is a mock schedule. using BF reccomendation

Veg: (grams / gallon)
1.2 Jacks, 1 calnit , .4 epsom, .1 agsil 16H (optional) , 1ml Mr . F (optional)

Stretch
1.2 Jacks, 1 Calnit, .4 epsom, .8 gypsum (or other Ca product) , .1 agsil (optional) , 1 ml Mr. F (optional)

Bloom
1.2 Jacks, .8 - .6 Calnit, .4 epsom , .5 MKP , 1ml Mr. F (optional) Deck Building Contractors Kirkland.

I would really reccomened starting from the 3-2.5 ratio at about half strength, and adjust from there. you will be pleased.
I recently picked up a GH Bloom since I still had Micro and Grow laying around.
I was tired of looking at clearly underfed or otherwise out of balance Jack's-fed large plants in RDWC.

I especially notice overall pale color (and some lower leaf drop) during and right after the 2 week transition into Bloom with Jacks at 6 even 700PPM.

As an experiment I ran GH Flora at the "aggressive" veg 3-2-1 Grow Micro Bloom ratio for the switch and first two weeks of stretch and transition.
I ended up with one of the nicest finishing Purple Punch plants ever!

Now I am wondering why Jacks Hydro Formula is recommended at 600 PPM and GH Flora at full strength comes in somewhere around 1000-1100 PPM for me. One thought I had was maybe it is a different type nitrogen or other N-P-K chemical nutrients?

Otherwise I am pretty sure I got burning running Jacks over 800-850, yet with GH Flora at 1100 really nice looking healthy darker green foliage?

Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your time... I feel like I am missing something.

And considering how small my garden is I am at this point happy to pay a little more or a lot more for water and bottled nutrients if the results are clearly better.

So for right now, in flowering, I am loading GH Flora on the Reservoir nutrient change at 1100 Ppm and Topping off with Jacks around 500PPM and have no burning.
My reservoir with my large plants is consumed at least 2/3 of 2.5 gallons in one day and I top for sometimes over a week.

Right now my reservoir, 3/4 consumed reads 1600 PPM -- but this is another thread and another inquiry into the brilliant minds here:

What Dissolved Solids and build up is gradually spiking PPM, such that I continue to top pretty strong (well over 1/2 strength) for over a week -- every day -- and have nice looking plant with no burning? Of course when I add 500 PPM Jacks right now that 1600 will come back down to maybe 1000, but you get the idea?

Hiddenjems

Have you measured light intensity, and temp/humidity?

With either jacks, Lucas formula gh, or gh Florapro powders I ramp up to 2.4-2.6 ec in peak flower.

It’s easy to figure out solution strength in recirculating systems. If the ec goes up as solution in the Rez goes down, you need a weaker solution. If ec goes down as Rez level goes down you need a stronger solution.

Ideally as the level of solution goes down the ec remains the same.

Towards the end of flower the plants will start using mostly water and very little nutes. This is when some people flush.