What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fulvic Acid causing Nitrogen toxicity

Roadblock

In Coco smart pots .
DIY feed.

Plants are 2 wks into flower , showing typical N toxicity signs dark glossy cupping which happened over the last 48 hr

Been using Fulvic for about 4 days . kept the same 600 ppm value in the tank just added fulvic acid.

What I did was lower the nut strength to 300 ppm and flushed then set the nutrient tank to 300pm, am also drying them out to see if its any over water issues which I dont it is they well developed root systems.

My question is can Fulvic acid cause nut burn like this as I also noticed just the very leaf tips burned only about a 1/8 inch.

And Im thinking my feed may be a little N hot , which is the B part which in this formula is straight Cal Nitrate at the rate of 1000grams into 4 1/2 liters,

Can I lower the Nitrogen by having a little less B of the two part mix , will that also cause other problems lowering the calcium .

Didnt seem to have any problems until the fulvic was used, can I just lower the ppms and that will fix the Nitrogen toxicity.

Cheers

Roadblock

On top lowering base Nut strength I added MKP at 100ppm to try and shift N down and PK up , not much more I can do just wait and see.

I can only put this down to the Fluvic acid they were perfect until using it.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On top lowering base Nut strength I added MKP at 100ppm to try and shift N down and PK up , not much more I can do just wait and see.

I can only put this down to the Fluvic acid they were perfect until using it.

If everything was fine, you added something new, and now its not, often times its what you added that is the problem.

Roadblock

If everything was fine, you added something new, and now its not, often times its what you added that is the problem.

Gotta be the Fulvic acid they have gone 6 wks on base feed without problems, I wouldnt have thought 600 ppm would be too hot but apparently so with Fulvic, runoff was 500 ppm drain to waste, toxicity hit every plant at the same time about 4 days off Fulvic.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks for this thread, i just got fulvic today and will apply it in early flower at around 2ml/l.
From the indications it seems it's supposed to be used until preflower and early flower stage, says the bottle.

If i get some toxicity i'll report back, seems my plants are already saturated with N so we'll see.

Cheers

Roadblock

Fulvic acid acts to make the nutrient in your feed and media more available through chelation.

Here are a couple threads you may find of use.....

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377492

and

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=307683

:smoke out:

Thanks for that , here is a little quote from BillFarthing in that thread which is relevant.

You may notice tips burning from excess nitrogen if the fulvic is high quality. You may have to reduce your base fertilizer usage 10-25%.

Koondense

Veteran
Some burnt tips here, especially on a nute sensitive lady. Gave them half dose nutes today, some got 1/3 dose. Less is more :)

Cheers

Max Q

Like the old Groucho joke...

Like the old Groucho joke...

Doctor... it hurts me when I do this!.....

So don’t do that.... ha ha

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
From reading a couple of articles were reports were involved, it seems N is the most effected. Making it's use in N deficient land a target for salesmen.

Roadblock

From reading a couple of articles were reports were involved, it seems N is the most effected. Making it's use in N deficient land a target for salesmen.

This is seeming to be the case, the problem for me is the DIY nuts I was using were bordering high N to begin with, the other problem is I have some H&G Coco which is also a high N nutrient.

So now Im playing around with adding less part A and bumping MKP to try and get things normal.

Roadblock

Some burnt tips here, especially on a nute sensitive lady. Gave them half dose nutes today, some got 1/3 dose. Less is more :)

Cheers

That was my first sign, just very slight tip burn which I wasnt concerned with and 24 hours later I had Nitrogen toxicity.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry I meant less part B , annoying you cant edit I cant see why the site does that .

Sounds like to drop N you are also lowering Calcium. Which may leave you taking it from the coco and slowly swapping the Ca cations for more and more Mg ones, as a full range feed is used to repopulate where the Ca was taken from.

Now your coco is presumably covered in it, perhaps you can lower the dose.

Big M

When using Mr Fulvic at 1ml/gal of nutrient solution, I use about 20% less Dyna Gro Foliage Pro. Plants are happier, and I'm feeding them less. Did have some leaf tip burn after starting Mr Fulvic before cutting back on the Foliage Pro, and the leaves started getting pretty dark, but things straightened out pretty fast after adjusting.

Roadblock

Sounds like to drop N you are also lowering Calcium. Which may leave you taking it from the coco and slowly swapping the Ca cations for more and more Mg ones, as a full range feed is used to repopulate where the Ca was taken from.

Now your coco is presumably covered in it, perhaps you can lower the dose.

I was thinking about that f-e but on looking at BillFarthings analysis profiles pics it shows a drop in C and N around 2 wks into flower which is where I am at so I thought I have a little bit of wriggle room to drop the N while getting on top of this toxicity problem, I dont know what Im doing just trying to make sense of it all.

pics here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377492

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts