What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys need to know what these are and more to the point how to get rid of them found these today after putting leaves under the microscope horrible things they are.. I am 4 weeks into flower too if that helps. but to be honest i think these may have been around longer than that the reason i say this is because i scope leaves often just to be sure and seen a bug last crop inside or on one of the buds but thought nothing of it and now it seems i should have taken more notice but we live and learn everyday thanks in advance guys :bow:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PS i have yellow traps spread around room as caught a lot of what looks like fungus gnats tiny black mosquito looking things,,, and also i noticed these have a slight different colour to springtails these in photo which i thought they were to be honest,, possible thrips..??.

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Those pictures sure look like thrip larvae to me. If spinosad is available to you that's what I would use first. The black dots in the first photo are probably thrip poop (frass).

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers Guys... Looking where to source it from now online, as it seems it cannot be bought from uk suppliers so also looking elsewhere also looking into captain jacks dead bug brew maybes too as that seems the next best to spinosad ingredient wise anyone looking in from the uk heads up if you know anywhere to get it from thanks guys all your help is appreciated..:bow:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
DARKSIDER another option is predator bugs. Swirskii or cucumeris mites will prey on them in the foliage, but thrips is tricky because they pupate in the soil so you probably also need a soil dwelling predator like hypoaspis miles to deal with them properly.

Koppert is in both Europe and the USA. Contact them for advice on predatory bugs.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DARKSIDER another option is predator bugs. Swirskii or cucumeris mites will prey on them in the foliage, but thrips is tricky because they pupate in the soil so you probably also need a soil dwelling predator like hypoaspis miles to deal with them properly.

Koppert is in both Europe and the USA. Contact them for advice on predatory bugs.

Hi moses thanks for your help im waiting to hear back from a company as we speak about a product just waiting on phone call or email the problem i have here,, is like you say,, they develop or pupate in soil but im in clay pebbles hydroponic.. but i do have the mothers in soil and thats where im at now.. im guessing they are on my cuttings too or maybes not and have been around for a while i have cuttings in fridge now have for about 3 weeks or so i hope the little critters die off in the fridge maybes to cold for them i hope ;)

imiubu

Thrips for certain.
I will never purchase another commercial pest treatment for soft bodied pests after I discovered this treatment:

Add ingredients into a 32oz. spray/ misting bottle
.5 teaspoon veg oil.
1 Tablespoon 91% Isopropyl
2 Tablespoons 3% H202 (peroxide)

Top off spray bottle with warm water.
Mist plant leaves under then over.
Repeat in 3 - 5 days if necessary.
I saturate until dripping wet. Not sure if that's how I should but it works. The plants are drying before I have finished treatment so I don't worry it.

This treatment kills pests on contact as it dries their little bodies instantly. I rarely need to repeat misting plants but Thrips are sneaky lil bastids and can easily hide. I will treat again just to be safe.

If ya don't believe it can be this easy (this treatment will kill the borg also) try it. Then the next day take a peak at those critters with a loupe, they will be dried up shells, frozen dead in time.

I typically will follow in a day or two with a nice clean water rinse to remove the dead bodies.
This treatment also kills eggs on contact. Shrivels them up like raisins.

Best :tiphat:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thrips for certain.
I will never purchase another commercial pest treatment for soft bodied pests after I discovered this treatment:

Add ingredients into a 32oz. spray/ misting bottle
.5 teaspoon veg oil.
1 Tablespoon 91% Isopropyl
2 Tablespoons 3% H202 (peroxide)

Top off spray bottle with warm water.
Mist plant leaves under then over.
Repeat in 3 - 5 days if necessary.
I saturate until dripping wet. Not sure if that's how I should but it works. The plants are drying before I have finished treatment so I don't worry it.

This treatment kills pests on contact as it dries their little bodies instantly. I rarely need to repeat misting plants but Thrips are sneaky lil bastids and can easily hide. I will treat again just to be safe.

If ya don't believe it can be this easy (this treatment will kill the borg also) try it. Then the next day take a peak at those critters with a loupe, they will be dried up shells, frozen dead in time.

I typically will follow in a day or two with a nice clean water rinse to remove the dead bodies.
This treatment also kills eggs on contact. Shrivels them up like raisins.

Interesting indeed and thank you for your help and advice appreciated but still waiting on company email concerning these little critters but that said your way seems straight forward we shall see.:bow:

thailer

captain jacks dead bug brew is spinosad so if you can buy that, i would think that you could get other brands. i get thrips every year and i tank mix horticultural oil to help it stick to the
leaves which seems to help. i spray once a week two times and the soil a couple inches only on the top. they're gone. i think they're the easiest bug ever to get. just got some from KIS bagged soil.lol

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes I have also had success with contact oils, very effective control measure. Was thinking four weeks into flower you may want other options.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys if this company gets back to me in the uk i will be sorted then will share findings as to where and how and yes 4 weeks in flower but hopefully be able to wing it but we shall see . ;) Appreciate the advice guys .:good: Horrible little fookers they are.:bat:

Lotto

Yep, Imiubi's concentrate works well. Have used an oil, alchohl and peroxide mix many times on different types of plants with no ill effects.

No harm in trying. As effective as any pesticide without harmful results.

imiubu

Hey guys need to know what these are and more to the point how to get rid of them found these today after putting leaves under the microscope horrible things they are.. I am 4 weeks into flower too if that helps. but to be honest i think these may have been around longer than that the reason i say this is because i scope leaves often just to be sure and seen a bug last crop inside or on one of the buds but thought nothing of it and now it seems i should have taken more notice but we live and learn everyday thanks in advance guys :bow:

View Image View Image View Image

PS i have yellow traps spread around room as caught a lot of what looks like fungus gnats tiny black mosquito looking things,,, and also i noticed these have a slight different colour to springtails these in photo which i thought they were to be honest,, possible thrips..??.

IIRC Blue sticky traps for Thrips.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IIRC Blue sticky traps for Thrips.

Yes you are correct, i also have them on standby the blue ones.. just waiting to see if this company gets back to me the yellow traps have collected a lot in my mother room of fungus gnats only that pest,, and no others.. what i am now thinking is this could also be the cause of some twisted leaves of these thrips maybes food for thought eh. anyhow thanks again..:tiphat:

Interesting indeed buzzmobile thanks for the info :good:

imiubu

Here's an interesting study on card colors and thrips.

Attraction effect of different colored cards on thrips Frankliniella intonsa in cowpea greenhouses in China

White seems to be effective on certain species.

Very cool, thanks.
I think the "Sky Blue" is what I was gifted.

It appears that ground zero card placement provides the best results. This study was done at the heights of; 0cm, 80cm and 120cm with the height of 0cm, attracting the larger numbers.

Good to know IMO.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well Guys after no email or phone call from the company i was looking into Thought time to look elsewhere and found a company which can supply me with what i need for these little critters and also a lot of other things in case ever needed i wont put the address of the company up here but after my order arrives all safe and sound then i can pm if anyone else needs info as it dont seem fair for me to promote a business without first hand experience on delivery and all the rest and they are also not paying icmag so hence the no show but as i was waiting on the other company to reply which they did not.. i got to reading more about a product called provanto and yes it got the better of me so bought some and tried it today and boy these thrips do not like it at all but got bored watching it after 5 mins squirm around once i sprayed the leaf it was on and after that it was either dying or stoned to the heavens will have to do another test on this but at least it seems to work on them paid 7 quid for a litre so nothing to lose really as our lass will use on her roses if nothing else i do have 2 small videos here but dont know how too upload, shame as then you see the proof in the pudding so to speak anyhow time for a beer now take care and stay safe :good:

imiubu

No squirming with the treatment recipe I posted, just dead bugs stopped in their tracks. I kid you not, I was flipping amazed.

I too was skeptical of something so simple (+ made with ingredients I already had in the medicine cabinet) could actually work. I kept thinking "no way!". Well, it does kill on contact and, on the cheap too. It was suggested this is safe up to 3wks from harvest also.

An IRL friend to whom I hold great respect; posted the recipe years ago and said how well it worked. I balked yet wrote the recipe down. Time passed and I ended up with mites, then later... thrips so, I decided to use the recipe both times and wallah... no bugs.
I'll never ever go back to purchasing commercial pest control.

It is my most sincere hope that what you ordered works awesomely and your pest issue will be in the rear view :)

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Thanks guys if this company gets back to me in the uk i will be sorted then will share findings as to where and how and yes 4 weeks in flower but hopefully be able to wing it but we shall see . ;) Appreciate the advice guys .:good: Horrible little fookers they are.:bat:
PROVONTO?
Composition
Contains deltamethrin 0.0075g/l as a ready to use liquid, Contains 5-chloro-2-methyl-isothiazol-3-one/2-methyl-isothiazol-3-one.