What's new

Suggestions for outdoor seeds at 45n

orangeisland

I'm sure this question is asked all the time, but hey I'm new. So I ordered a bunch of fast version strains in hopes to mom them out for next year's outdoor season, only to learn on here that my plan probably won't work. So now I'm back to the drawing board looking for which seeds I should order now in order to take cuts and plant next June... donkey dick and critical are the ones I've seen so far. Any advice would help, thanks in advance. Ps I'm in Ontario and anything past first week of October is pretty much guaranteed fail for me. Cheers

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
If you are only planting personal & you don't need trees, autoflowers might be worth a look. Guys were finishing autos in the first week or two of August - in the middle of our heatwave so they totally avoided PM. My photo plants were just starting to flower at that point . . .

Next year, I will start autos inside mid-May & move them out end of May.

bibi40

Killer kush fast version , Green poison fast version and Cream mandarine fast version are good options at this latitude .
Critical sour too .

F2F

Check out Green Mountain seed’s Purple Satellite via Ace. Here at 38N finished mid Sep. probably faster further north.

Peace
F2F

troutman

Seed Whore
I grow Friesland Indica at 46N in Ontario with no issues and they are ready mid-September. ;)

I'm suspect most Autos will ripen on time in Ontario. :tiphat:

orangeisland

Been checking out "old school breeders Association" and "kiwi seeds" they both have versions of them but I haven't heard of either of those guys before searching for friesland

Del_9_THC

Well, with all due respect, it's kinda like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

If you can get a chart of light/dark hours for your local 45 degree lattitude jurisdiction for the late-summer and autumn period(look online and even I think on this site), then you might be able to determine whether your flower times can make the finish, BUT that ignores other factors like local climate during harvest.

So, if your region gets a shit ton of rain or humidity, just at the times when you would want to harvest, then a strain that might work at the same lattitude, but in a drier climate might rot in your climate.

If your region typically has little rain, frost, or humidity in late-flower and harvest time, then look at the number of dark/light hours for 45 degrees north to find approximate flower times that will, typically, work in your region and hope for a typical autumn weather pattern.

OR, you could use light deprivation, to get plants to flower well before any shitty weather could happen...then almost any variety would do, all else being equal.

St. Phatty

One option is to start plants indoors & give them 2 weeks of 12/12, then move outdoors.

Does 12/12 outdoors start at August 15 or more like August 1 in your area ?

eastbeast

I grew guerrilla-style in the White Mountains of New England @44 for a long, long time and half the battle was finding genetics that would finish before October.
Surprisingly enough I found that Dutch Passion's outdoor stuff beat out a lot of the strains I tried running out there over the years, especially Passion #1.

Wasn't figuring that to be the case, since Dutch Passion had sort of a negative rep on the boards and were also feminised(a somewhat new and controversial thing at the time) but like lo and behold they finished early to mid September before anything else and a few of those phenos were FIRE. Lovely pink-haired baseball nuggets absolutely soaked in white frost.
Their Durban poison was also great, if you're looking for something a little different.

Some of the Canadian stuff @ hdepot is good too. Beanho makes inexpensive freeze crosses that have a lot of variation but there are keepers to found, if you have the space.