What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pyroligneous Acid (Wood Vinegar, Liquid Smoke)

BillFarthing

Veteran
Smoke as a reason for temporary growth effects after fire sounds like marketing unsupported by logic or evidence. Why not citric acid - I saw no difference in my plants with or without it. Perhaps that would have been better in soil. If you want to add acids it seems wise to know what and how much you're adding.

It's been used as a biostimulant for plants in developing countries for at least a century, which is my personal interest in posting it here. It provides humic-like substances and organic acids.

If you want to know the composition, take a look at this white paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016523701830456X

Hello Bill.

im curious, what is your regimen for Wood Vinegar, do you also use it in Fertigation or mostly as a IPM Foliar? Im interested in it increasing Terpene the most.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's been used as a biostimulant for plants in developing countries for at least a century, which is my personal interest in posting it here. It provides humic-like substances and organic acids.

Is there evidence that such claims are not imaginary?

If you want to know the composition, take a look at this white paper:

Is there a comparison of the different brands or anything like that, which actually says something about the mysterious brown liquids actually peddled as plant wonder drugs? Because it sounds like you bought a couple pallets.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Hello Bill.

im curious, what is your regimen for Wood Vinegar, do you also use it in Fertigation or mostly as a IPM Foliar? Im interested in it increasing Terpene the most.

On the first post in this thread is the guidelines for fertigation and foliar. Drench is typically 1:1000-3000. Foliar is typically 1:500-1000. The HULIS and organic acids should help terp content anecdotally.

Is there a comparison of the different brands or anything like that,

I didn't know there were too many different usable brands other than Seek or Wrights liquid smoke.There was a white paper about the different compositions based on pyrolysis temperature.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0926669020311432

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Yes you don't know what you're getting, depending on the process and the source of wood. Plus the Chinese are kind of known for selling chemicals that are less pure than they would like to admit. If anything it's the tarry matter from pyrolysis of hard or soft wood that's going to be incorporated into complex, highly oxygenated rings. This is also the most insoluble and toxic part. If you want to make tannins, eh why not actually add tannins? But if people would like to pay $30 a quart for old school genuine USA silver maple PA, I'll be happy to make that happen.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Pyroligneous acid hasn't widely been utilized as a biostimulant in the US, despite all the research on the subject.

I found a pyroligneous acid company in California using almond biomass (Corigin) who is trying to standardize production and de-volatize anything that isn't beneficial to plants.