What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Lets grow some weed

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm late to the show as always. :tiphat:
It's probably too late now but I helped control the fungus gnats with cheap dollar store house fly sticky papers. The little ones in the roll that pulls out to almost 3 feet.
They Love it. Get stuck all over it. I wasn't sure it would work because it's for house flies a totally different species but they love getting stuck to it. That and letting my pots dry out more than usual combined with the bti donuts ground up to powder. But they were mostly gone by the time I added the bti. It took care of the stragglers.

What kind of soil moisture probe and setup do you use? (Sorry if you said it elsewhere and I missed)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello and welcome.
I hope fungus gnats are already controlled, as they can't get to the soil anymore. Will see if I need to do anything about it or it's fixed..
I am using capacitive soil sensors on an arduino with some custom shields for testing the concept and then I usually build a custom controller. But this is just the start of it so for now it's just an arduino with some wires thrown around.

bibi40

Thank you for visiting my thread.
@bibi LST starts tonight or tommorow. Hopefully I can manage to keep canopy under 50-60 cm height by the end..

my thought is the best is to Lst them first and top them at 3th or 4th node ( don' t worry , this new kind of auto's handle that really easy ) , if you really want to kept them at this height ,
mine are actually between 1m-1,2m , and it' s really strain dependant , i had two other auto strain which are half of this size , same ages and same conditions ...

:tiphat:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I understand but it's first time I grow autos indoor so I will try to avoid topping them. They'll get into some heavy bondage, if needed, tho. :D
Today I will spray some foliar cal-mag on them, then later will start lst.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Just applied a foliar cal mag spray and I also lst'd them second time. I also cut fan leaves from 2 of the lower nodes for a better airflow. They are already under 16 hours of light a day and growing pretty fast.
I also did a watering of 500 ml compost tea to each pot.
Temps are around 21C lights off and 24-25C lights on. RH 60-80%, VPD around 8-9.
Will update with pictures around middle of the week. They should be nice and bushy by then. Side branches already started to grow.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well they already started to explode.. seeing the vigorus fast growth I am thinking of how to tie and tame them better. Also they grow fast and try to escape from the tie clips. It will be an adventure. :D

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sir we demand pictures! :)

If the growth is likely to be getting out of hand, have you thought about putting in a screen/ net?
Although my current canopy control is a bit off it normally works treat (who am I telling this)
Makes harvesting a bit of a PITA, but who cares hehehe
CC

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Pics will come in a few days. I like to keep you guys waiting.. and also have some growth between pics. As I said I will try to udate about once a week, but for now I kept an average of an update with pics every 4-5 days.
As about the screen, that could be an option if it gets out of hand, but for now i just try to tie them down.

aliceklar

Well they already started to explode.. seeing the vigorus fast growth I am thinking of how to tie and tame them better. Also they grow fast and try to escape from the tie clips. It will be an adventure. :D

I've been experimenting with some serious plant origami recently. Check out this post by Verdantgreen - I've just been folding my stretchy sativas up in Z bends and tying them with string - keeps the canopy even without any pruning.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, I seen that thing about a week ago, seems quite brutal at first but I know plants can take it. Guess I'll have to use that as well if any of the tops get too stubborn. For now my hope is that they bush out as much as possible from the lower nodes so the top doesn't get to be really a main top, but just one of the many tops. We'll see how that plays out for me.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've tried similar bondage scenarios too and for the life of mine still can't get equal shoots, the top shoot will still be the strongest and fastes growing.
Apical dominance I gues...

cc

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Today they received a diluted seaweed extract feed, 500 ml each. Can't wait for them to grow up a bit cause I need them to intake more water to be able to properly feed them and also leave a small drought period between waterings. With all the calmag sprays and everything I have kept soil too moist for most of their life.
They didn't need any extra lst during the last 3 days. They are staying low to the ground for now. Tommorow i will do a picture update and then I will retie them if needed. Only 2 more gnats landed on the yellow strips during last week, so I'm not worried too much about them anymore.
Also a friend of mine sent me some BT ecological pest control powder, but it seems to be the wrong kind (kurstaki) that won't kill gnats. If I see any more gnats in a week or so it must mean the gravel is failing at keeping them away from the soil and will replace it will sand.
See you guys tommorow for the update! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Nah, from what i have read is very efficient against caterpillars but does nothing against mosquitoes and fungus gnats. Sometimes it can do something but it's because cross contamination in the production process. I will try it if I see any more gnats next week, but I don't have too much hope that it works.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Picture update time!
Plants are 20 days old, T: ~24C, H: ~70% RH, VPD: ~9 mBar (measured on lights on cycle).
Light is at 100%.
First photo is with dimmed light on:
picture.php

Second picture is with light turned off and flash on, to be able to see the colour and details better:
picture.php

No more new fungus gnats on the traps so far.
Plants have already been lst'd yesterday.

Latest posts

Latest posts