What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds sterile

Lugnu

Hi, I am buying seeds now for a long time and recognize that some seeds come with pests.
My grow medium is sterile and so my grow room so, never had a problem with spider mites white flies and so on and last time I grew out of seeds I had trips and before mites, so they deferentially came with the seeds.
Is there a safe way to serialize the seeds before planting ?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Some pests can come in seeds. I've had pests I've got rid of reappear years later when popping seeds I made while they were present.
Best way is to pop them in paper, then give the seedlings a good rinse before transferring them to the medium. Actually that's not true, best is not to make seeds while you have a pest problem, but its a good second best.

I'm surprised how long they can stay alive in seeds, I didn't realise animals could stay in stasis that long.

What kind of water?

I would think chlorinated water from the tap might help, but it probably depends on what kind of critters and maybe the type of chlorine. (Chloramine tap is a better funk&critter killer than the usual CaCl.)

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I soak my seeds in a solution of 10% (3% hydrogen peroxide) 90% distilled water. for 24 hrs. Then take the liquid and seed and germinate in paper towel. It is supposed to kill any pathogens. I've had near 100% success rate. I say near because regardless how fresh seeds bare, they don't all germinate or sprout.

Lugnu

I use only sterile equipment like pots, soil and so on, they only change for them is on the seeds, and there must be a way to sterile seeds without doing damage ?
Thanks for your replies, great help

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Unfortunately, if you apply anything that will destroy animal life, you're likely to destroy plant life I would suspect. Short of washing them off or drowning them I'm not sure what else you can do.
I use tap water.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think most pests come with the grow medium. :tiphat:

Agreed....environment or medium. Not the seeds. You can soak seeds in diluted food hydrogen peroxide solution. That actually helps with germination. Good luck!

therevverend

Veteran
Seeds can carry fungal or viral diseases, they cannot carry insect eggs. Insect pests like mites, fungal gnats, and thrips can come from mediums but if they're sterilized it's highly unlikely. Usually they come from your clothes, shoes, pets, house plants, or in through the window. Unless you keep your room sealed, change into clean sterile clothing, bleach your shoes, disinfect your hands and wear a hairnet, they'll find a way. Unless it's winter. Every indoor grow I've ever seen eventually got spider mites and other pests. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it happens quickly. Warm summer temperatures speed the process up.

zzzybil

See the you tube vids of grow facilities where employees are garbed up like medical isolation....footies , hair nets , lab coats or zip suits - that's to stop hitch hikers.... my guess You brought the bugs in on your clothes , or through ventilation , since you say medium was sterile .......

40degsouth

Hi everyone,
I store my seeds with a pinch or two of sulphur, elemental or wetable doesn't seem to matter. No more pests, like weavels or beetles.
I believe some systemic viruses can be carried in the seed perhaps the hydrogen peroxide solution might help with this??
Cheers,

George

Hi everyone,
I store my seeds with a pinch or two of sulphur, elemental or wetable doesn't seem to matter. No more pests, like weavels or beetles.
I believe some systemic viruses can be carried in the seed perhaps the hydrogen peroxide solution might help with this??
Cheers,

Why didn’t I think of this lol. Great idea. Sulfur is the business

40degsouth

Thanks George,:tiphat:
I'd love to be able to take the credit but it was a pearl of wisdom given to me by an old gardener years ago so, who knows how long it's been around for??

Latest posts

Latest posts