What's new

tent size and lights, how much does it matter?

Los_Serpent

i have a 150w led light. in a 90x90cm tent. and it's underpowered for this size, but, if i were to LST the plants, and always keep it under the lights, would the tent size matter?

i'm talking about the reflective material. does it matter if it's 30 cm further away?

Del_9_THC

90 cm by 90 cm, that's that's a 9 square foot tent....if you want to cover the entire 9 square feet with plant canopy, my guess is that your results will be disappointing with your current light, unless it's specs are sufficient. (See paragraph, below).

The problem with LED lights is the wattage is kind of meaningless, what are its specs re lumens/Lux/par,,etc. If it has sufficient measures of the latter items you might be okay.

With HID lights wattage could give you a good, but not perfect, indication of light requirements/strength. On old rule of thumb, for hps/mh lights was, you want about a minimum of 50 watts per square foot of grow canopy, for decent results. You could get away with a little less, so for 9 sq ft a 400W hps would be slightly less than you would need, but probably doable....600 watts would be sufficient.

Craycanna

I feel like an idiot right now and I'm probably missing something simple here but I'm not understanding how 90x90cm is 9 square feet...

I feel like an idiot right now and I'm probably missing something simple here but I'm not understanding how 90x90cm is 9 square feet...

Square foot math is commonly misunderstood.
A lot of people might think 9 sq. ft. means 9*9, but NO.
Instead, the question should be “?*?=9”
so...

First in this case, convert cm to inch.
in.=cm*.3937008 or in this case
in.=90*.3937008=35.433072in. (approx. 36 in., or 3 feet.

Now, feet in one direction of the square angle times feet in the other direction of the square angle, or in this case 3ft. by 3ft. = 9 sq. ft.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
. On old rule of thumb, for hps/mh lights was, you want about a minimum of 50 watts per square foot of grow canopy, for decent results. You could get away with a little less, so for 9 sq ft a 400W hps would be slightly less than you would need, but probably doable....600 watts would be sufficient.

my tent is 4x3.5ft with '2' 315 cmh... that 45w per sq foot- imo not enough lite- tough to fit another 315 in that space...plus the added heat, so added 2 led's .. one is a mars hydro ts600... they claim it equals a 150.. it is bright so maybe- the other, dont know the name , but it too is a 300w- prob closer to 100- we'll see the outcome

Craycanna

Square foot math is commonly misunderstood.
A lot of people might think 9 sq. ft. means 9*9, but NO.
Instead, the question should be “?*?=9”
so...

First in this case, convert cm to inch.
in.=cm*.3937008 or in this case
in.=90*.3937008=35.433072in. (approx. 36 in., or 3 feet.

Now, feet in one direction of the square angle times feet in the other direction of the square angle, or in this case 3ft. by 3ft. = 9 sq. ft.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for explaining, I suck at math. This'll come handy in the future, thanks!!!!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Bro that "150w" led, if that's the marketing labeling, isn't pulling close to 150w. Prob closer to 75-80w. If possible you really should try more wattage in there, if overhead isn't possible there are a lot of screw in lights that people use for side lighting. There is an epic thread that will take days to get through over https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806 and that entire subforum, microgrows, has great information for people in your situation. https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65545 It is a grow diary forum so it's great information, but probably not as conversational, ie if you ask a question it might not get as many responses as in for example, the infirmary. Oh and welcome to icmag :tiphat: :bongsmi:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For me, 1200 watts of Vero 29 Gen 7's in 4x8 tent with scrog was optimized. Everything under the scrog was removed during first 2 weeks of flower. Had huge top buds, and no crappy little ones.

Latest posts

Latest posts