What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for guerillas with leaf spot diease experience.

whodair

Veteran
I like taking clones from my outdoor to start my winter garden indoor ... Do you think I'll be safe ?? I've never seen the spots on indoor plants !!!

ghost of sage

this is a extreme case!

this is a extreme case!

I am pretty sure this is just an outdoor in the woods where you can't clean up all teh surroundings type of fungus and it is a killer!I doubt you would ever have something like this to worry about indoors.I grew this same plant indoors in the winter a few years back and got almost a half lb out of a 30 day veg.These damn buds should have been huge and potent but this stuff just stops the plant cold or eats what it can't stop!

Attachments

• leaf spot.jpg
    leaf spot.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 30
  • leaf spot 2.jpg
    leaf spot 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 32

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
hamstring has it right, this shit is everywhere and it lays in wait for conditions to be right An outdoor grower is only fooling himself to believe he can prevent it. There isnt a single action the guerilla can undertake to ward off this shit. I personally think there are several fungal infections going around here. Greencure doesnt kill it and you may as well piss on the plants as spray neem on it. Although i decided years ago that neem was ineffective and impracticla for guerilla's. I still believe that.

Put simply, outdoor growing cant be done in this area of the country any longer unless this blight can be overcome, so im after this shit in a big way and im gaining info and experience. This is the 3rd of 4 years that nearly every crop around has failed due to this stuff, powdery mildew or some other fungal plague. Around here , until around 2000, we basically set plants out and then harvested in October. Paradise. Now we work our asses off and cant seem to harvest a good stash. Our weather conditions are always in the extreme anymore which stresses the plants and makes them succeptable. Anybody doubting climate change needs to get there ass over here at daylight and help carry some of these friggin water jugs.

Im spraying 1 plant with Eagle 20 which is a short acting systemic and another with Acrobat, which is also a short acting systmic used on tobacco. Scary i know, but ive got to find a cure or stop growing outdoors.

This hashplant tells the whole story for outdoor in this part of the country. If you have cannabis growing outdoors, it looks like this. People can squeal about chemicals all they want, but without treatment in 2-3 more weeks, every single leaf will have fallen from the plant and what's left will wilt and die . I picked the yellow leaves off and doused it with liquid copper. We'll see.

picture.php

A few of my wonderful sensi stars have it bad too. This big girl is so sick. I sprayed her hard too.

picture.php

The police made things a little easier. They swooped in with their helicopter and took 8 of my sweetest girls.

hamstring

Veteran
DS
Sorry to hear about LEO in the sky.

I couldn’t agree more with your last post. In my area we have floods reach the 100yr mark 3 out of 5 years. Not taking that into account snow melt and spring rains bring floods every year that’s Mother Nature.

I can’t for the life of me figure out what happen to send this stuff into an epidemic the last two years. I am also wondering if farmers who grow beans and corn in the lowlands are experience this same problem. I have heard that corn is unaffected by leaf spot but not sure on beans.
To me this is important because if agriculture crops are being affected that means more people are looking for a solution than a few guerrilla farmers.

A fellow guerrilla over at UDG came up with an excellent idea that I also am going to follow. I will collect, as many samples of different plant varieties as I can with this disease and hopefully find somewhere to send these in to be analyzed.

Any one know whom I should to turn to in the civilian world to have this disease analyzed??????.

E

el dub

Long time lurker, here. However, I registered the other day just to post in this thread.

We have a serious case of the same disease on our corner of the prairie. The dogwoods seem to be pretty susceptible to this blight. In general, the girls surrounded by dogwoods are worse off. Those on the open prairie, or with a few dogwoods nearby haven't been hit as hard, so far. Plants put on the open prairie the first week of july show no sign of the disease, at present.

It also appears to be fairly strain specific. The plants with south african genes (dutch dragon) have remained fairly healthy with little loss of leaves or vigor.

My neighbor's plants with "hawaiian" genetics are dead. Eight foot tall plants with thick canopies of dark, broad leaves and stalks like pool cues. One was nearly from dead over watering upon first glance. The other looked healthy except for a few dark spots with lighter halos on some leaves. The next time I looked, the second gal was coming down, too.

Anyway, I've been applying liquid copper and praying for about a week now. Not sure the white russians will make it, but they are continuing to flower, apparently normally.

Schnazzleberries have been putting on new growth up top faster than I can cut out dead and stunted lower branches, so there might still be hope for those as well. However, no schnazz flowers yet. (And no benchmark from last year.)

The dragon chicks are much healthier than last year, even with the blight being worse this season, but are at least a week or ten days behind last year's flowering schedule.

Anyway, big thanks to Doc, hamstring, ghost and the rest who have attempted to assist with this serious threat to our crops.

lw

Cannasseur

Hamstring, I was considering the same. I'm not sure about your situation, but the cooperative extension program in my area is fairly well-funded. That's where I would start if I were you.

hamstring

Veteran
el dub
Thanks for joining the sad sack train ALL ABOARD. What part of the US or otherwise are you from?

Thanks for bringing your anecdotal evidence here. Besides yourself and DS this is the only time I have heard or seen this stuff take on the resemblance of over watering. I have a feeling like many have said that this disease like any disease weakens the plants and allows other problems to surface. “Pool Cues” love the analogy.

I too see some differences in strains resistance. I have GHS WW and BFM growing in the same plot and although both are taking a beating the BFM is doing way better and it’s a much more leafy plant. Go figure everything I have read would seam to point in the other direction.

So if I get this right its mostly here in the states because I hang out UDG and not many of the Canadian guerrillas are saying much which leads me to believe they are not experiencing this stuff. What about Ag field run off you guerillas think the heavy ferts put into corn and other crops may be hurting us? I hate even say this out loud but I hope regular farmers are feeling the hurt also because then we will get some answers as they bring in the big guns to figure this out. Hell next thing you now Monsanto will have a leaf spot ready seed for the Ag industry.

Cannasseur
Hey Guerrilla thanks for the info I will run with that. I just keep wondering how many years this shit is going to hang around. I mean DS is in a drought situation and he is still having problems I am in a flood situation and the same thing.
How do you protect your plants because I am growing in a sea of disease its on everything so trying to make your plot the one island in a sea of disease is going to be one tough monkey.

hello all,
i grow in Wisconsin and i have the same problem. It didn't start until the end of July after we had a lot of rain and flooding. Since then it has taken over. All of the vegetation in my area has the same problem. Last year I didn't have any problems with this leaf spot. I am growing Blue Hash and Diesel from DINAFEM, The Hog and Mendicino Madness from TH seeds and Cheese from Greenhouse and out of the 5 the blue hash and diesel from dinafem are by far doing the worst. The other 3 have the leaf spot a little but nothing compared to the 2 dinafem strains.... And its weird because everywhere i read people were saying blue hash and dinafem strains are pretty resistant to this disease.... Alo i tried using SAFER brand fungicide and it didnt help things at all, in fact it has gotten worse since i sprayed the plants about 5 or 6 days ago. I hope we can find a way to stop this disease or we will all be in deep shit.... Thanks for all the input everyone i have learned a lot after reading this thread.

Hamstring: there is a bean field next to my plants and there is no signs of this leaf spot on any of the plants that i checked.

Cannasseur

Hamstring,
It seems almost like the problem just can't be fully overcome considering our conditions as guerrilla growers. Our only choice is prevention. IMO, this is one situation where I believe organic methods truly shine.

I'm partial to the idea of refortifying my plants pathogen resistance with compost teas and quality composts once the problem has been controlled (using Serenade Garden Disease Control, thanks for the advice ronbo, MM and CT Guy). As ronbo mentioned any fungicides (copper included) will kill both pathogens and beneficials on contact. Once barren of any microbiology (good or bad), the phyllosphere will be open to reinfection and the vicious cycle will begin all over again. By keeping beneficial populations high, these good microbes attempt to outcompete the pathogens for dominance of this habitat for microorganisms.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
We have to find a cure cannasuer, and i think all of my beneficial organisms were already eaten by this shit but if not, take a look at the hashplant and you'll see that they werent doing much to begin with... Youre right in that prevention may be critical. If i had gotten the plants treated BEFORE they were so infested i would be better off right now. Plus, i was slow in recognizing the disease due to our dry weather. I spent 2 or 3 weeks thinking the dryness was causing tthe problem.

hamstring, i dont know whats happened to my growing climate but the current situations sucks..The soy beans here dont have it but theyve been sprayed with a product called Actigaurd. Its a dangerous systemic. More than once farmers have screwed the enviroment up with chemicals or behavior and i wonder if their use of some of these newer, untested systemics hasnt resulted in a super contagious fungus that has landed on my plants... Every tomato in the county has it, every elm tree, wild cherry and alder have it. Blackberry's have it as do sunflowers.

Thanks for the sypmpathies on the plant heist. The enforcers for the cartels,(police) work overtime to make sure americans have to buy their smoke from the drug gangs. American growers are a real threat to their business interest so they send out their stooges to do their dirty work and get rid of the competition. I plant 10 exra's each year because i know the whores are comming. The alarming part of the swoop down was that these were all either individual plants or no more than 2 plants together and hundreds of feet apart, so they can see them if theyre really looking. I was looking at some other plants about 1/2 mile away when i heard the chopper comming. I ran under trees and watched them head straight for the ridge line where i had plants. When i got back to the truck i drove up that road and there they were, landed in the hayfield next door.

Its funny though, they missed 2 big plants right beside where they landed.

A

argoagro

Here's my contribution, retyped from a gardening book I have. The controls/treatment part recomends the copper, which I found very interesting. Not sure if the Streptomycin is an option for us as it says ornamentals only, but warrents further reading. DS I think next year you might have to run more resistant strains. Wish you the best of luck, I've learned a lot from you and this thread has some more detailed information than this but thought it was worthy of adding.

Psuedomonas spp.,
xanthomonas spp.

Bacterial Leaf Spot

Range: Throughout the US & southern Canada
Hosts: Many, including fruit of tomatoes, sweet peppers, squash, and cucumbers; flowers such as begonias, geraniums, and hyacinths; and the leaves of many woody shrubs & trees.

Description: The first symptoms of this disease are small, water-soaked spots on leaves or flowers. The spots may be translucent to yellowish green or black and are usually round. Once the infection spreads, the spots can become angular if they are spread between the veins. As the spots age they become dark & greasy looking ot tan and dry. Sometimes the tissue in the center of the spot drops out, producing what is known as a 'shot-hole' effect
Life Cycle: The bacteria overwinters in infected crop debris as well as infected seed. Warm spring weather stimulates growth & reproduction.
Transmission: If soilborne, the bacteria travels to new hosts with water, insects, or on gardner's tools, hands, or shoes. The bacteria enter the plant through natural openings & wounds. Soil-borne infections often kill the plant before it can reproduce but leave more bacteria in the environment to infect other plants. (DS I wonder if you have a soilborne version since I agreed about the water uptake in those pics as soon as I saw them, but you know more than me in general & I trust your conclusion of your plants)
Prevention & control: Always rotate susceptible crops. Choose resistant cultivars whenever possible. As an added precaution, treat seed you save yourself by dipping it in a 10% laundry-bleach & water solution. Practice excellent garden sanitation throughout the year, not just in the fall. Remove infected plants or plant parts as soon as you notice the spots, and do not compost the plant debris unless the pile is hot enough to kill any disease organisms. On ornamental plants, spray commercially available streptomycin just as the weather warms in the spring. If plants become infected despite this treatment, spray every two weeks with copper sulfate.
Notes: On cucumbers, squash, peppers, and tomatoes, the first spots are translucent and slightly raised. As the disease progresses, the spots become dark & sunken & the skin covering them wrinkles. Pick infected crops as soon as you notice them, and destroy them far from the garden. Do not compost any infected crops.

A

argoagro

OK, So streptomycin is an antibiotic.

From Wikipedia "Streptomycin"
Pesticide
Streptomycin is also used as a pesticide, to combat the growth of bacteria, fungi, and algae. Streptomycin controls bacterial and fungal diseases of certain fruit, vegetables, seed, and ornamental crops, and controls algae in ornamental ponds and aquaria. A major use is in the control of fireblight on apple and pear trees. As in medical applications, extensive use can be associated with the development of resistant strains.

E

el dub

hamstring: I'm in Iowa.

After learning more of this disease, I've started to see it on ornamentals and trees all over town. I'm now pretty sure that our first contact with it was a basil plant it took down in our yard. Sure looked like it had been over watered to me.....

Does anyone know if/when the season reaches a point where the blight becomes less active? I hate to think about using copper throughout the flowering stage.

Sorry about your loss, Doc. But it is funny how they missed the two plants by their bird while scoping the other patch.

lw

A

argoagro

Streptomycin sounds like the same antibiotic to treat strep throat...lol

According to Wikipedia it is, double lol.

I started soaking my seeds in bleach AND using a very dilute mixture of bleach in with the water during the early stages. I had to, I was gifted 1000's of bagseeds (Probably close to 5-digits!!!) from some really high quality mid-grades (Seeded and crappy dry/cure + compressed but otherwise AWESOME, some of the plants are looking mighty bomb, a mix of everything under the sun which is nice). Anyways with those seeds I had MASSIVE mold issues, white webs forming on many of the jiffy's, it would colonize right at the seed and around it so I knew it was coming from there, the seeds would not pop, or if pre-soaked would just stall. The bleach cured that issue, controlling moisture content & temps did not have much of an effect. I went from anywhere to 30%-100% of my pucks getting colonized & nothing happening, to 2% after the sterilizing.

I think I'll continue to use bleach on my seeds in the future- even without seeds that are covered in white specks & have a rank smell to them, lol.

E

el dub

I fed the gals this morning. As of yesterday, most have had two doses of copper soap. The only plants looking the worse for wear are the white russians. However, I'm guessing most of the newly yellowing leaves were infected before I started treating them.

The other strains appear to be about a week into 12/12 and are really stretching in a good way. The schnazz chicks have added about two feet of new growth in the last 10 days or so. The dragons are really beefing up as well.

Still not sure how this is going to play out. Nor am I sure how many more applications of copper will be necessary to keep this disease in check and still not ruin the final product.

Btw, I feed organically with guanos/alfalfa tea and the occasional dose of myco in native prairie soil amended with worm castings and guanos. Azamax has been applied every 10 days or so to control insects.

I'm pretty sure the neighbor lady is (was) using chemicals. I, too wonder if cultivating micro herds might be helping my plants defend themselves against this cursed blight.

lw