What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown Spots on Lower Fans

Greenheart

Veteran
picture.php

(above) Lower fan leaves just beginning to spot.
(Below) Some already cut and dried fan leaves with progressed spotting. I will upload more pics if problem persists.

picture.php

Stitch you are more than welcome to use any pictures I upload for educational needs. I'm going to get that book if I can ever save up some resources. I was thinking maybe a calcium lock but I'm not sure.

The minor detials I can provide are:
Germination occured feb2 in 16 oz cups for 4 weeks then transplanted into 4 gallon buckets. Conditions are kept on the dry side of the fence with 2 computer fans, a 4 inch desk fan, 2 10inch fans pulling air up and out of the enclosure and 1 pedastal oscillating fan that helps push air into and out of the room. (kinda hard to describe but really not alot of direct air on plants more of a careful placement of fans to direct air around the room) Plants maintain 75-80 degrees with a drop to about 65-70 in dark hours.

Soil:

Miracle grow potting mix mixed heavily with pearlite.

Nutrients: Miracle Grow All Purpose feed crystals. 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon on the second feeding. First was 1/4 teaspoon to a gallon. They have recieved 2 feedings now with a flush of clean water after the first. I have misted since first set of leaves alternately with water and minor nutrient solutions of various concentrations consisting mostly of

mollasses, vinegar, 1-2 drops MG BloomBooster 12-9-6, TripleSuperPhosphate in solution at 0-45-0 (1/8 to 1 tsp of this concentrate),1 drop superthrive, 1/4 tsp of hydrogen pyroxide, and 1-3 drops per liter MG liquid houseplant food. All these ingredients and quantities have been used at different times in low concentrations.

They have also had 2 neem oil treatments mixed at 1/8 tsp to liter then 1/4 teaspoon per liter.

This problem has shown up over the last 4 days. Which is also how long they have been in bloom. Any suggestions?

Greenheart

Veteran
we have the same exacly problem !

:( sorry to hear that. It is now day 5 total since problem started. Here is day 2 of the above leaf getting worse and a picture of the full plant. I may be overwatering dunno. I have gave them 1/3 gallon each about 3 weeks ago. Then the next week I flushed all 3 pots with tap (artesian well) water and proceeded to give each plant another 1/3 gallon of a stronger nutrient mix. On a daily basis I foliar feed in mornings with either a second feeding at night or pure water. All my water is coming from a well and is set over 2-3 days with an aquarium pump for oxygenating purposes. Only 1 of the 3 plants is seeming to really be having issues.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
hey man, how well does your soil drain?

that seems like a huge pot for the size of the plants and root ball it had in those 16oz cups... they probably have a serious case of the 'wet feet', and so the leaves got a little fungus on them?

that's my take.

looks like another deadly case of PH lockout... the most common problem i see on the boards... looks like you are running really high ppm of some pretty concentrated nutes... also like the above poster said the pot is too big for that plant so the root system isn't formed well enough in the pot to absorb the nutes efficiently... try flushing with PH adjusted water, maybe with some Clearex (or similar product) to wash out excess nute and salt buildup... cut down on feeding and water amount/times, because of the size of the pot the nutes will not be absorbed by the roots as efficiently, so they can easily build up and cause a lockout problem

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
looks like another deadly case of PH lockout... the most common problem i see on the boards... looks like you are running really high ppm of some pretty concentrated nutes... also like the above poster said the pot is too big for that plant so the root system isn't formed well enough in the pot to absorb the nutes efficiently... try flushing with PH adjusted water, maybe with some Clearex (or similar product) to wash out excess nute and salt buildup... cut down on feeding and water amount/times, because of the size of the pot the nutes will not be absorbed by the roots as efficiently, so they can easily build up and cause a lockout problem

just a question..couldnt you just leaf feed the nutes until the plant was bigger so it better matched the size of the pot

Greenheart

Veteran
The soil will go from overwet to dry in 4-5 days. I would say its probably close to 40% pearlite. They were transplanted 2 weeks ago the 4th day afterwards I noticed the roots coming out of the bottom of the 4 gallon buckets. The root mass also appears about 1/4" below the soil surface.

I don't own any ppm equipment. I do have 2 autocalabrated ph meters though (just cheapy $10 models). One shows PH/Fertility. The other shows PH/Light/Moisture. On both gagues it appears about 7 on the PH with the better gague reading just below the seven mark. On my solutions I let them sit a few hours and try to ph them in between 6-7 using small doses of vinegar till it is below 7.

I was beginning to think it was fungal as well. It seems to be contained to the one plant so it must be in the soil. Should I go ahead and give it a few more days to dry before attempting a flush or flush it now? The soil is reading:

PH 7
Moisture 4.5 out of 0-10
Fertility too little (on all my solutions so far I try to make the fertility reading at about 1/4 mark into the fertility ideal zone)

Also on my neem treatments its only been on the leaves and misting of top layer of soil. Should I just go ahead and mix up a 1 gallon batch and water them with that after flushing?

Plant height is 13" (the other 2 are 8" and 9")
Plant age is 43 days (14 days since transplant) (5 days since bloom initiation)
Plant strain is unkown but thinking dominante indica hybrid

PH of my well water 6.2

What PH should I keep my solutions at most fall between 6.5 and 7 when I apply them? Also anyone rec a good schedule for feeding so far its 1 per week 1/3 gallon per plant. Tommorrow is looking like the best day for a good soak.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
it is doubtful that neem will help you out in this situation... I dunno if it is anti-fungal enough...

how is the air-circulation in there? temps? humidity? enough light?

sometimes the top soil can be really dry, but the bottom of the bucket is saturated with water still...

I'd go easy with the watering, and check humidity and the rest real well.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
sometimes the top soil can be really dry, but the bottom of the bucket is saturated with water still...

Exactly right, know what your dry pot weight feels like and only water when almost dry. You don't want the plant to wilt but close to, then saturate.

Greenheart

Veteran
A whole 7 grams dried. Super dense nugs you couldn't crush with your fingers. The real value was in the learning experience.

Sorry I was a newb and forgot to even thank everyone who pointed out my mistakes.

It was EXACTLY what they told me. OVERWATERING! Newb mistake number 1 every time. Kill 'em with kindness.