What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why to use worm Castings

3legdog

Right on BC Botanicares PBP nuts. are definetly fantastic right out of the bottle..the big bloom also. I also know what your saying about being a pita to mix teas thats why i switch around often & have built a collection of bottled organics. All the fish based products (alaska...neptunes..)are super acidic & seem to do well if i let them bubble 2-3 days...but man the smell almost runs me out the house :yoinks: :biglaugh: man my plants do stand at attention though when i hit w/ the NH 2-4-1....good stuff used right

There are many good bottled ferts....even the ones w/o stabilizers you just have to figure out what makes them work (nut.uptake&ph wise) for the herb plant & believe me i ve had plenty of failures but seem to have a descent grip now on what works for my set-up.

Also if i could afford it i would also use the FF OF soil mix. That stuff has all the right goodies in it for beautiful healthy plants with minimum feeding. I added more promixbx & perlite to mine(make it go further) the few times i've splurged & bought some. They need to make bails of the stuff, bring the price down & start selln' it at the depot.. then it's all i'd buy. Nuff out of me certainly wandering :off2: & dont want to do that... Peace everyone & have a nice weekend 3legs :wave: :Bolt:

S

strain_searcher

I used to use worm castings and they were great but they did cause bad drainage even with lots of perlite. I prefer bat guano tea much better now. :wave:

G

Question for anyone,reading about wormcastings,the ad says reduces water uptake in soil.Just outta curiocity,how is this beneficial?

the protege

any benefit to adding worm castings to a coir/perlite mix? The beneficial bacteria sound good, but with reduced drainage, I don't know if that will cause a problem. I am planning on doing a dripper system with 60/40 perlite/coir mix, so it will not retain too much water. If I were to add castings, what would you change the ratios too? Anybody with first hand experience?

zolar

seems that i've been doing the right things empirically for years
my back's screwed up from auto accidents and i don't move heavy thing i don't have to but i've beenn dumping clippings weeds thinings and old leaves etc in 5 gal buckets around the yard for a while now and usually i dump the tea colored water into raised beds when the level of rainwater get to or the close the top before dumping the slimy stuff into the compost great thread i'll stop pulling the white stuff.

Equipment Junki

I just found out an interesting tidbit.

Fruit eating bats have one type of guano, and insect eating bats have guano that is high in chitin (pronounced Kite'n)

Chitin has been shown to keep powdery mildew and grey mould at bay.

I am (I keep forgetting) to find out what brands of Bat Guano comes from insect eating bats. Will update.

Respect

Ziggy420

Lazy man's worm poop

Lazy man's worm poop

the protege said:
any benefit to adding worm castings to a coir/perlite mix? The beneficial bacteria sound good, but with reduced drainage, I don't know if that will cause a problem. I am planning on doing a dripper system with 60/40 perlite/coir mix, so it will not retain too much water. If I were to add castings, what would you change the ratios too? Anybody with first hand experience?

I've been using TerraCycle ProFusion at 10% for Germination to 3rd week of veg. Paper towel to Jiffy pellet to coco...So far so good. Last 2 weeks schedule has been 10% TC ProFusion every watering and 50% Canna every 3rd day. Most places charge way too much $20-$40 but I got a gallon from wormsway.com for $10. I just checked back and it's up to $12.48. IMO it's great stuff if you don't have the time or want to mess with worms.

(http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=TP410)

Ziggy420

Lazy man's worm poop

Lazy man's worm poop

Forgot to mention I'm using the TC Pro at 10% for foliar feeding as well. I spray it on when ever and doesn't seem to matter how often...the more the better. As with any organic fert I keep it in the fridge.

this is my first time using castings, i mixed it with my soil with a 3 to 1 ratio. I also add 1and 3/4 quarts of castings to 1 gallon of water and let it sit for 24 to 48 hrs and water them with it. Here is a great place to get them if anyone would like organicworm.com you can get all the wiggle worm castings you like and it is always safe and packaged discreetly. Just thought this could help a few folks if needed and your plants will love them to.

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
"Why to use casting"

Because it's the best organic fertilizer known to man....Natures ultimate recycler!!!!
Cannot burn plants with it and all living plants love it!!!

Badass stuff!!!

Wiggle Worm is what we use here...It's pure castings....

You got that right Capt. Crip my new Urkels that i'm testing with these Wiggle Worm castings are really truely loving them. I know alot about you Capt. and was just wondering if i am anywhere close to your doseage or not? Not trying to get your technique just was curious, because mine are really green and the leaves are just as perky as they can be. Later CC

I would never grow without EWC ever. Great stuff and is from mother nature and she does know best as all us organic fanatics know.

stikik22

Has anyone grown a plant using nothing but castings, the reason i ask is i have been doing it a couple months and i noticed that i had no males at all this go i planted 11 bagseed......aside from draniage i think its been a great grow so far.

G

Gross stuff but I used some Big Bloom and it is worm castings and bat guano. :puppydoge

Grizz

Veteran
Its very true, when I lived in AZ. I purchased castings stright from the worm farm, 150 bucks for a pickup load, they were stright out of the worm beds, big worms screened out but all sorts of small wigglers and eggs in a sandy soil. I don't think I have ever grown any healthyer plants and it drained almost to good and talk about roots. a five gallon pot would be totaly packed with roots in 2 months. no burn at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts