What's new

NFT Bogbubble and Golden Skush

JohnBudd

Grow big! Bog bubble and Golden Skush and 6 cuf Peak 19xNL. 2 x 400hps.
5.9 ph 900 ppm oasis rootcubes slightly over-sized net pots.
Greetings friends. Here is my new passion. NFT......
By using slighly oversized net pots so bucko air is getting to roots. By having bottom of net pot off of nft channels, and 1/32" gap where net pot meets channel allows for maximum air to roots. Seemed like they were too big but after thought and watching these things take off, seems a good idea.
My question/problems lies in a slime/gunk that is building up in my channels and on my roots. I changed my water nutes yesterday with hopes of remeding, but no luck. What is this sluge? Is it good sludge? Is my water messed up? How do I get rid of said sludge if bad?
Hope you like the set-up, its a work in progress....but will see.
Happy Holidays Friends!!

G

Well I like to think I know a thing or two about NFT's. Off the bat I would say your channels need to be light blocked. If there is some kind of algae build up there must be light getting to the inside.

But thats just a quick guess. What nutes are you using? What intervals do you turn your pump on? Heat of the room and Rez? Give me some info and I'll see what we got.

By the way love the setup. The only thing better than an NFT is an NFT/Aero Hybrid. Looking good.

Blatant :wave:

JohnBudd

I am using dyna-gro nutes. I have the room temp set to 76 and res heated with aquarium heater to 75.
There is light getting to the channels...I have a few open holes I only cover with net-pot covers which have large hole in middle. I will fill up those holes.
Interval of pump on/off................uhhhhhhhhhhhh....I leave the pump on all the time.....yikes...........my past experience with hydro has been ebb n flo which I flooded 4x a day for 3 minutes, I thought/assumed that this was a continuous thing.......regroup..........
Thanks for the help.

G

If your roots are white and healthy, and your res smells clean, and you have enough dissolved oxygen in your nutes, I wouldn't necessarily sweat it yet. In bio-buckets, a whitish film develops on the medium and on res surfaces that feels kinda slick. If this is what you have, it's actually beneficial bacteria. Let your nose be your guide, and pay attention to what your plants are trying to tell you.

If its green or looks like algae, it is bad, and root rot will soon follow. I believe most people empty their res then run a weak H2O2 solution to clear this up and then dump and refill with fresh nutrient solution. Are you using bad tapwater? Test your plain water with the TDS pen, it shouldn't be more than 100-200. Less is better. If you are using RO water, check it too, your filters may need replacing. Also, I'm not familiar with dyno-grow nutes, if it is two or more parts, make sure you follow the instructions and pour in the right one first. Some multi-part nutrient systems can only be mixed in one order, reversing the sequence will knock salts out of solution.

If none of this is relevant to your problem, please expound on "slime/gunk" (such as color, smell, feel, location, etc.)

Good luck.

JohnBudd

No rotting vegatable smell in the room, I have smelled way overwatered/root-rot before, and not there, yet.
I adjusted the speed(flow)of the water(faster) which I think will help deter any further build-up? Overnite many of the roots grow an inch or two, very fast, instant results can be seen, incredible.
Blatant, I now notice a certian item on ebay after typing in the word "NFT"....it is a little gizmo that you plug your pump into.....one minute on, 3 minute off....and the cycle continues...one minute on....three minutes off....is this needed you think?
The gunk seems to build up near openings which are getting light, Blatant hit that one right on the head I think.
I have never seen quite a thing where plants are noticebly bigger from one day to the next....NFT rocks!
Dyna-gro is a 2 part nute set-up...grow and bloom....so no mixing.
Reading the plants says they are pretty happy....will keep my finger to their pulse and see what happens.
Learning as you go is not the best way.......LOL.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

ps: Curious what you all set your res temps at. Reading above a certian temp actually harms nutes, ect. And does certian higher temps make bacteria more doable?
Good slime-Bad slime.......will try to get pics of it in channels.

Gracias for your thoughts............John

G

Yup sounds like its just light getting into the solution thru the openings. The constant running of the pump will help a lot. Without anything settling and being exposed there can be no build up. Dyna-gro makes some good stuff. The only problem with them is no PH buffer so the PH tends to flucuate. So keep your PH in check. Dont worry about the timer for the pump. I ran mine 24/7 without any ill effects. The girls just loved it. As far as the rez is concerned I did'nt heat it or chill it. It seemed to fall into line just fine. The room never flucuated beyond certain temps so the resevoir stayed nice a cool. I beleive by not heating up the rez I essentially cooled the root zone down and kept the plant cool as well. If you keep getting the grime. I say Black out your NFT channels or take the heater out of the rez. Heat and light exposure is what is causing all this.

Here's my Golden Skush done NFT style. You'll be a happy camper.

Blatant :wave:

JohnBudd

Update

Update

9 days later.......things are coming along nicely. The Bog plants are growing leaps and bounds.....incredible pace.
The goldenskush are not soo happy...some seem okay.....many seem overwatered??????
I run pump continous.....is this normal for NFT? Is a pump on/off schedule more in order?
NFT growing seems to have great possibilities.....like much less work....with much better results...
Still working out bugs....but NFT is here to stay in my garden.
Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays friends....

Notice the two pics.....first(small plants) dated 12-6
second(bigger) dated 12-15

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
sup bro

sup bro

im going nft to johnbudd nice mix ya got going hows the northern peaks coming along are the keepin up with the skush s and the bog bubble ill be watching and learning with this thread good job on the setup is it home made if so looks killer peace chucky

here they are in soil

JohnBudd

Thanks for the positive vibes...chuckyoufarley. There are 2 Peak19xNL that have overtaken the goldenskush and are marching on through. It is increible once the roots get comfy in the nft channels.....wow.....I have never heard of things growing too fast......but that might be the case here......bogbubbles have gone from 2" to 12" in 3 weeks!
Ebay is the word of the day when it comes to new systems.American Hydroponics NFT system. It was brand new in box.....unopened....regularly 599.00..............I got for 175. If you add in the continous ph/ppm monitor(very important to have), total system cost 349.00.
Your peak19xNL are stinky already chuckyoufarley.....I will get some pics this am.....
Serious mag defiency with the bogbubbles........large fan leaves were getting ugly upon growing to full size. Couple teaspoons of epsom salt......unreal.
NFT is highly recommended by me.....I change the res once a week....add couple gallons to res in middle of week......thats it......stand back and watch........
Do it chuckyoufarley.....best decision I made in some time.

JohnBudd

Can you tell if they have grown in 5 days?

Can you tell if they have grown in 5 days?

Here are new pics....dated 12-20. Compare to 12-15 pics......this system kicks-ass.
ChuckyouFarley's excellent strain peak19XNl is also pictured....started later, but catching up quickly.
Leaf burning on 2-3 largest plants. I included pic. I thought mag def....so added epsom salt....now looking at Nietzke's FAQ plant abuse pics(very helpful) over at OG.....may just be nute burn.
What do you think it is?
If you aren't growing NFT style yet, you should be...the results are in the pics.

Happy Holidays!! :wave:

G

:joint: Thats some major growth in 5 days. :canabis: Hope you get yer nutes under control,cant wait to see how these girls turn out.Ill be watchin this one. :wave:

Claude

Veteran
Hi JohnBudd !

I am running an NFT system and I have success with this water feeding config.

Veg: 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off
Flo: 15 minutes on 45 minutes off during light cycle and 15 minutes on 105 minutes off during night cycle

As Blatan said do not heat your tank.

You need to have a slope so the water don't remain in the chamber.
This should resolve your problem.

Also when you change your fert. you can start a with water and HO2 for 24 hours and ad your fert. after as HO2 do not go alone with phosphor.

Good growing...
Claude :canabis:

JohnBudd

Thanks so much for the info Claude, running continously seemed a bit much, as some smaller plants are obviously overwatered. Nute strength is a work in progress here, as my E&F #'s don't work on this type of system. Running ppm at 1000 during veg is a bit much I think, and will bring down to 750-700 and see if nute burn subsides.
I have been a farmer many years, and have not seen growth like this....a kid at Christmas.....passion for the plants.....wooohoooo.
This is a test grow....I bring out the heavyweights next time around....stay tuned.
Merry Christmas friends!!

Very nice setup you have there JB. And you cant beat that price. I have never tried nft before but for $175.00 I may consider it.
I am sorry if you already mentioned this but I could not find it,anyway how big is the space you are using? The flowering area I am using is 8ft tall by 8ft wide by a little over 4 ft deep. And I am using 1 1000w on a light mover. I am wondering what your size space is and what you would ussually harvest from 2 400w and nft. I wonder if it would out do my space using dwc buckets. The nft is just so much less maintence. I really like the looks of your system.Good luck and keep us updated :)

King

Lookin good JohnBudd. Gotta love the growth from NFT. I'm sticking with NFT for awhile. I'll be checkin back in for your outcome.

King

JohnBudd

Het Friends...

The NFT grow is still in action. Left grow unattended for a full 5 days, taking care of the worst kind of family business.(RIP Dad).
Just wanted to post a lousy pic of lights off, in a hurry, scraggly, bushy, stinky, sticky beasts.
Another photo op for Bog, as his BogBubbles are monsters. 3 of his bogbubbles are monsters.....48' high, 36' across....many many budsites.....2 indica pheonos, one sativa....all monsters.
The golden skush are a bit slower than the bogbubbles but coming along nicely.
ChuckyouFarley's NLxPeak 19 are most beautiful plants. Real dark leaves, beautiful snowball looking colas's with trics really starting to come on.
Just about 25 days into flowering, but glad done with the stretching, as the Bogbubbles dwarf quite a few of the other plants in the system...FIM is in order next round....

Up next: Petrol, Lifesaver, BigSir, HolySmokes, G13x Mantuska

Latest posts

Latest posts