What's new

Nutes and their effect on PH

JohnBudd

I notice when adding nutes to res that PH changes drasticlly. Either flowering or vegging nutes have same effect, although opposite. One nute takes my PH down to 4.....the other nute shoots it up above 7. Is this normal? Do you have to do much PH adjust after adding nutes?
Is their a "BORN ON" date on nutes?????do they lose their vitamins ect after a year or 2?
Just semi-suprising that plant nutes effect PH sooo much. A bit of buffering for sure needed, just wondering if you all experience the same thing.

phillykid

What nutes do you use? It really depends on the nutes used, I know Earth Juice bloom needs to circulated overnight for the pH to kinda stablize and get to a decent level otherwise it comes out around 4. Pureblend is buffered, and I don't think foxfarm bigbloom changes the pH too much.

JohnBudd

I have used 2 different nutes over the years....first was Lucas formula GH, and last 3 crops have been with dyna-gro. I get the PH to 5.8 but use PH up,down.
A switch to ProBlend sounds in order after reading these last posts......I have not noticed much of a difference when switching from GH to Dyna-gro.
Canna is now available also.....
Just trying to avoid buying so many of those PH up, down at the fish store at $5 a whack.....
My ph plummeting or skyrocketing sounds fairly normal then ay?

King

What you are seeing is normal John. After you adjust your nute strength, than you need to adjust your PH. Different nutes and supplements will effect the PH differently as phillykid mentioned. I use PBP and it drops my PH. I'm adding Dark Energy as a supplement and that makes my PH skyrocket. You just gotta keep on eye on it.

G

Potassium silica, made by Advanced nutrient's, when added to res will cause ph to go high near 7.0 depending what it was to start with. I use it now in place of Botnicare's silica blast. Most all the additive's I use increase ph a bit, but buffer it just the same.

PBP vegy mix drop's ph level in RO water when mixed, does not jumb back up much, but stablize's in low 5 range for me.

PBP bloom mix, well it drop's ph level also, and most all the time I compensate for this by adding 7.5 ml's of ph upper when adding back nutrient's in top off water, as I like to keep it in 6.1 to 6.3 range during flowering stage.

I have found Liquid Karma to help greatly during the bloom stage at keeping the PH level were I like it and do not use much ph adjusting agent's this way.

Now does nutrient's go bad, yes some have only a self life of a year after leaving manufacture's place, some have specific storage instruction's to garuntee there useage after stroage.

GH has been good to me with abusive storage method's.
Not sure about dyna grow, used it before, but passed it on to another with a plant or two some time back.

It really has to do with the quality of water and the starting ph level and why it is were it is.

grow safe.

Happy Holiday's

realhigh

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe TK has posted something about Hydroguard messing up his ph with his last run. Once he see this he'll post the answers.

Mr.Wags

G

Wow, I have not noitced that yet. I have used hydrogaurd in two previous grow's with out a problem to my knowledge. I noticed it to help stablize the ph level, at first it would increase it slightly and then it would be back down in 24 hour's at a more stable level. In fact my first run was PBP and hydrogaurd only and all went just fine.

stay safe and grow the same way.

Happy Holiday's

realhigh

badmf

Does anyone have a second rez to mix nutes in before they put them into their system? If you have room to do this, its a really good idea, it can allow you to mix nutes at leisure so covalent bonding won't occur. This is also an oppertunity to get ph stable as well!