What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

98% of the Population of Internet Users Would Loose a Spelling Bee?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
some can't read the time on an analog clock :biggrin:
Now you're getting personal!! WTF? J/K, it's a memory mapping thing with me, apparently. I've always had to take several seconds to figure out what time it is. It's the same reason I'm geographically challenged in a big way. I'm headed to Denver at some point in the near future, to have the wiring in my brain scanned for anything interesting. lol

I know what you mean though. lol

Personally, I could care less about how people approach non-informational communication. The non-critical space is where most language shifts take place anyway. I used to get very irritated when sharing information is the goal. Now I note how it's progressing and move on.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Cvh

Supermod
I'm non-English and I refuse to use a translator or a spelling checker.
I learned English and several other languages at College beside my main courses in my studies.

I have always enjoyed getting feedback (done in a positive, constructive way), so I would like to take this opportunity to ask for your help.

Please read through my post I have made (and will make in the future) and sent me a PM when you notice a spelling/grammar mistake.

Thank you.

:)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Proper spelling ,punctuation , and Grammer is cool with me . It just seems like when some people are arguing , that the loser pulls it out like a douch move .

But seriously if I'm misspelling tell me nicely so I can edit it . It's no big deal.

okay. it is "grammar"...:tiphat: jus' fucking with you.:biggrin:

Brother Nature

Honestly i think its cause you are so pedantic about it that you lock yourself onto the fact and because of that dont really focus on understanding.. you critize it instead of understanding and thats a choice.. ther2s be3n c0untless studies that the human brain can still understand even if letters are missplaced even missing. :tiphat:

I stopped reading this after you didn't include a comma after the first word and didn't capitalize I. ;) :moon: I have no issue with understanding poorly written words, I just think less of it in most situations. If it's in a text or something written very quickly, I understand that typos get made, but when someone spends a fair amount of time writing something then doesn't bother to go through and correct glaring mistakes, I think less of it.

I'd also like to say as someone who speaks more than one language, understanding how that language works can be paramount in a lot of situations, given the differences in cultures around the world. I'd never think less of a non English speaker trying to improve his or her English.

One of my favorite novels is Ulysses, if I were a true grammar nazi, that book would drive me insane. :tiphat:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My high school English teachre got pissed when I told her how much more money i made than her and that I'd retire by 40 with zero college education. Lady, what you're teaching is of the utmost arbitraryism, 100 years ago you talked like a retard and 100 years from now you will talk like a retard, by constantly changing arbitrary manmade ie imaginary social standards.

and so have you made her your bitch yet??? :bigeye:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Now you're getting personal!! WTF? J/K, it's a memory mapping thing with me, apparently. I've always had to take several seconds to figure out what time it is. It's the same reason I'm geographically challenged in a big way. I'm headed to Denver at some point in the near future, to have the wiring in my brain scanned for anything interesting. lol

I know what you mean though. lol

Personally, I could care less about how people approach non-informational communication. The non-critical space is where most language shifts take place anyway. I used to get very irritated when sharing information is the goal. Now I note how it's progressing and move on.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

So you do care! It's only the extent to which it is in question...

"In the early 1990s, the well-known Harvard professor and language writer Stephen Pinker argued that the way most people say could care less—the way they emphasize the words—implies they are being ironic or sarcastic.

Other linguists have argued that the type of sound at the end of "couldn’t" is naturally dropped by sloppy or slurring speakers.

Regardless of the reason people say they could care less, it is one of the more common language peeves because of its illogical nature. To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left, which is not what the speakers seem to intend. The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s."

I generally get more worked up over logical structure than spelling mistakes. :laughing: (of course spelling can alter that structure too)

(Just some gentle ribbing, DC :) )

But what constitutes a spelling error? Another common mistake is the use of the preposition instead of the verb: I would of laughed too.

Instead of would have or would've... spelling or part-of-speech error? As an utterance there is no phonetic difference between the preposition and the contracted verb form. In speech, no error.

And how about the use of the possessive/contractual form to pluralize noun phrases? thing's, seed's, chair's, etc.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Since spelling and grammar go hand in hand it's:

I could not care less.

If you could care less you would.
:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I could care less, but my personal brain wiring makes it too difficult as of yet. lol Once I work out a few more things I'll be completely there. ;)