What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Most of the world prefers to watch a football game that includes a real round ball being struck by a foot, or head, with plays lasting 45 minutes (each half) and not just 4 seconds (on average), so I'm not surprised if American Grid-Iron players have to moonlight as Chippendale's these days......They should have kept it like Rugby, but the advertizers don't like having to wait thru 40 minutes of play before they can blast you with a beer add.

vta

Veteran
Lol, but the NFL hasn't been worth watching in at least the last decade.

You got me there...

But...

Dallas-Cowboys-Cheerleaders-2013-NFL-Wallpaper-HD.jpg

vta

Veteran
Most of the world prefers to watch a football game that includes a real round ball being struck by a foot, or head, with plays lasting 45 minutes (each half) and not just 4 seconds (on average), so I'm not surprised if American Grid-Iron players have to moonlight as Chippendales.

OK...you and I both know the difference between apples and oranges, right? Soccer is to football as figure skating is to hockey.

Now rugby...there is a sport ! :biggrin:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah but over here mate we don't call it 'Soccer'.....its 'Football'.....because they use a real round ball that is primarily struck by the foot for the 90+ minutes of the game...

I reckon the USA hi-jacked the word 'Football'.....and now they are getting confused about it, so need to get the correct info about it......all in the quest of more awareness in sports, lol.

OK...you and I both know the difference between apples and oranges, right? Soccer is to football as figure skating is to hockey.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alexander Fraser Tytler
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

I see the figures of misery for today and US is responsible to fix it all Dropped Cat implied? Like I said before, go back a hundred years and keep going to see what real suffering looks like. There were a lot less people back then so numbers of poor mean nothing. Percentages do though. Poor around me are typically overweight. Fifty or more years back, not at all the case.

Oh and American football should be called eggball. hehe A good game for sure but the constant stopping of the game is annoying.

Brother Nature

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Some guy who shot himself in the face.

I actually find nearly all sports aside from motorcycle racing and fighting (Boxing, MMA, etc..) pretty boring to watch in comparison to participating. I suppose the gambling aspect changes that, though.

You got me there...

But...

View Image

Oh I always support a cheerleader. :)

For sure, we do that pretty well over here too...

[YOUTUBEIF]yiKFYTFJ_kw[/YOUTUBEIF]

Anyways, I digress. To be back on topic I don't think America is third world, in some parts for sure but all over it's just going through painful changes, happens to every nation, I just hope we learned from Nero...

Satyros

In 1820, close to 90% of any population was involved in agriculture, and you can afford to be poor if most of your needs are met.

The U. S. is not a democracy, it was designed to prevent it, since that is an easy way to oppress a minority. What we see now is the result of democratic things that became institutionalized.

The Great Depression was pretty desolate, of course, it was engineered, then solved by democratic programs and war. This seems like a slow rerun.

One should be a little suspicious of anyone like General Motors who claims to be lifting you out of poverty and then moves major divisions to the Isle of Guernsey and places like that. Also, the way they sabotaged rail transit around the 1930s, is the main explanation why most areas lack the inter-knittedness of Europe. I have watched a group propose replacing a rail system for forty years, nothing has happened and they are too dim to even think of linking it to the airport.

It's just a bunch of self-inflicted stab wounds starting to take their toll now. I strongly consider that the actual role of the "Intelligence" agencies is to dismantle the place and offshore the cash. There really isn't much other explanation for their behavior. Sec. of Treasury is an employee of the International Monetary Fund, i. e., a foreign agent.

Paper goods just went up 5%, and there are billions of pounds of meat stuck in warehouses with nowhere to go, thanks to recent policy. To me it seems to be a long term cumulative disaster rather than twenty years ago being any good, in fact Clinton's repeal of Glass Steagall was quite shattering. So to place a "whopper" in that time frame, that would be it.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boys !!!! Don't cha know...we all suck.

Some want to climb the ladder of wealth...others want to do little work...'just exist' and expect the 'Gov' to help with FREE health care, welfare, food stamps etc...

But who are we to judge ???

lol

Carry on....

[YOUTUBEIF]2X_2IdybTV0[/YOUTUBEIF]

Waddup dude....so, what about the educated, hard working Americans who believe health care should be provided, people in need should be helped, and no one should go hungry in a wealthy nation? What's wrong with us?

vta

Veteran
Waddup dude....so, what about the educated, hard working Americans who believe health care should be provided, people in need should be helped, and no one should go hungry in a wealthy nation? What's wrong with us?

I'm all for some social systems here in USA. Social Security, Medicare for the elderly, Vets, the lame and for impoverished children.
I also think fondly of food programs for children.

Health care for all ? No thank you ! People that don't make enough money to supply their own needs...either need a second job, or a better one....maybe a better education.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Sorry Man...not buying it. You are what you make yourself to be. No excuses.

Bad luck ?...doesn't mean I have to pick up the tab.

No other country in the world has as many millionaires.

Not making it ? Take a class or two...

don't care what you buy. i AM what i want to be. not asking you to pick up shit. no other country has the natural resources AND educational opportunities that we do, so we SHOULD have more millionaires. i am making it, and i don't need your help. already been through school and have my degree. not everyone is as fortunate nor works as hard. go talk down to someone that is actually below you...:moon:

armedoldhippy

Veteran

we are the only first-world industrialized nation in the entire fucking world without universal health care. what is wrong with us? wait, we both KNOW what it is. :biggrin: and it is not US. :tiphat:

Brother Nature

Whoa, VTA, you're sounding a little blue there. ;)

I can't see how healthcare for all is an issue. In NZ here, we've got healthcare for all, but it isn't free, it comes from our taxes and is paid into a government branch known as ACC (Accident Compensation Company). However, if you can afford it, there is private healthcare companies on offer too. This system has it's negatives as well, but all in all I feel like it's a huge improvement on the American system, which I grew up in. As a positive example, I ride a motorcycle and a couple years ago was run over by an asshole in a BMW. I had to have major surgery to install a rod in my tibia and screw it in place (it's still there). This was free for me and my employer didn't have to pay a thing for it, it was covered by ACC, as was 80% of my salary for the time I was off work. However, all vehicles are required to be registered here for which you pay a little bit to do, depending on how long a period you can afford with the max being a year. This is much more expensive for bikes as according to the government they end up costing more to ACC, so my yearly registration is roughly $500, which is marked as an ACC levy. I groan about having to pay it, but then I think back to my time at the hospital and how well the surgery went and how easy it all was, I'm not bothered to pay it. Now there are always people who are going to abuse the system, but that's unavoidable in any situation, people are shady no matter what's on offer. I see it like yin and yang, it all balances out in the end so while we pay a little more in taxes, we actually see something from that I don't see why America couldn't have the same kind of system.

vta

Veteran
don't care what you buy. i AM what i want to be. not asking you to pick up shit. no other country has the natural resources AND educational opportunities that we do, so we SHOULD have more millionaires. i am making it, and i don't need your help. already been through school and have my degree. not everyone is as fortunate nor works as hard. go talk down to someone that is actually below you...:moon:

Good for you ! Living the Dream.

I agree...we need more millionaires.

go talk down to someone that is actually below you

Naw. We are are equal. I was dirt poor, living in a car once...once.

vta

Veteran
we are the only first-world industrialized nation in the entire fucking world without universal health care. what is wrong with us? wait, we both KNOW what it is. :biggrin: and it is not US. :tiphat:

Everywhere it exists...it's a nightmare.

NHS ??? Hope your baby doesn't need "unapproved" measures. And if a doctor in a foreign land can provide the care the baby needs...forget about it. They wont even let you take your own baby to another doctor.

Canada...My buddy jacked his ACL...4 months later he had surgery. MRI was done at 3 months. Good stuff.

Now they let doctors decide if a person should be euthanized. Read a story last week about a person with dementia that was "put down"...happens everyday, except in this case, the doctors made familiy members restrain the poor soul.

No thanks...I want to buy my "insurance" from the private sector. Where they "compete" for my business. Gov run HC...Fuck that !

troutman

Seed Whore
Insight or thoughts as to how it happened.

Freebasing Cocaine will do that.

I heard of one guy in my city with a 6 figure income, married, kids, home, etc.
For some insane reason, he wanted to try freebasing. Well he got so hooked
and couldn't work after a while and lost everything. Took less than a year to
lose a lifetime of gains

Richard pryor- Freebase

• Sad
Reactions: Gry

Cannavore

Veteran
Everywhere it exists...it's a nightmare.

NHS ??? Hope your baby doesn't need "unapproved" measures. And if a doctor in a foreign land can provide the care the baby needs...forget about it. They wont even let you take your own baby to another doctor.
i love how the right has a single anecdotal story they parade around all the time

Canada...My buddy jacked his ACL...4 months later he had surgery. MRI was done at 3 months. Good stuff.
and yet universal health care polls extraordinarily well in Canada and in every other country that has it. if what you say is true 100% of the time and not just some one off anecdotal condition, wouldn't even the conservatives in these countries be against universal health care? because they're not.

wait times did increase in canada for surgery. largely for elective procedures. but either way, i'd rather wait and get the surgery i need than to possibly die in the US without itbecause i can't afford it. which is pretty common for Americans these days. 50% of US workers make $30k or less... something like 1 in 6 Americans cannot afford an out of pocket $1000 medical fee.

Now they let doctors decide if a person should be euthanized. Read a story last week about a person with dementia that was "put down"...happens everyday, except in this case, the doctors made familiy members restrain the poor soul.
"Dutch authorities are investigating whether doctors may have committed crimes in five euthanasia cases, including the deaths of two women with advanced Alzheimer’s disease."

again your position is based on a single anecdotal story that you claim happens everyday, yet it doesn't.

No thanks...I want to buy my "insurance" from the private sector. Where they "compete" for my business. Gov run HC...Fuck that !

the US health care market is an oligopoly. there is no competition nor is there a free market.

medicare (which is government run health care) is not only one of the most popular social programs in the history of the US, but it is more efficient than our private system, and more cost effective.

for example;

operating costs for private health care is nearly 18 cents of every dollar spent in the medical market. compared with 2 or 3 cents of every dollar spent on operating costs for medicare.

so not only would medicare for all cover every man woman and child, but it would be cheaper on employers as well as every day taxpayers without affecting the quality of care.

PremiumDollar_Infographic_Website_3.2.17-011.jpg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am no commie and favor less government when possible, but see socialized medicine as the future and it is gonna happen. It already is socialized but in a chaotic, inefficient manner. Pretend free market.

Wait times for surgeries vs worrying about the lack of money you have to pay for it? I will wait. If it was so bad in Canada they would have junked it some time ago. They come over to the US for some stuff but overall it is better there imo.

Will it make a debt problem with lack of funds to cover it? (as if that is not already happening.) Maybe, but we are not going back to a no money no doctor policy. Once the people are given stuff, that is that. They expect it.

Gotta go with the commies on this one.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It makes much more sense on a humane level to spend the wealth of a nation on those that might need it within for health and welfare....than keep buying new and improved attack submarines, but now they have gone and got themselves into an 'Arms's Race'......and a bunch of other nations are now spending massive resources on weapons of mass destruction, I guess that the sick and needy get pushed to the sidelines.

Collectively we need to evolve past this feudal stage if we are ever gonna get to see a Doctor in the future.

Latest posts

Latest posts