What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wiring a new circuit

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Hello, first off I do have moderate electrical knowledge. I have installed new breakers, outlets, wired fans, and wired homemade multi cfl light fixtures. Ive been tossing around the idea of turning my walk-in closet to a flower room. But in order to do so I will new to run new electrical wire and wire it to a new breaker. Now here is were Im unsure what to do, say I run 4 new wires for 4 outlets (120v) how/where do I join them before the breaker?

anon0988

Not an electrician, so by no means take this as true...but from my understanding electricity shouldn't matter where it's all joined to the line. You could do something like this:

(1)--(2)--(3)--(4)

And it wouldn't matter if you joined the power at 1 and then fed it down the line, or at two and split it both ways. As long as you can make the connection and keep it isolated (no shorts or grounding) you should be fine. I think you usually want to do any joining inside of a fixture box, and use the right equipment like twist caps not just electrical tape.

Again, not by any means an expert, but I've done a little bit of wiring and the above information is my current understanding.

Muah12

IMHO electricity DIY would not be m first choice. I'd recommend Craigslist for a cheap electrician but not always a plausible answer if your wiring up a closet :)

medicalmj

Veteran
You'll be fine. Just remember never run 14gauge to a 20amp breaker. But you can run 12gauge on a 15amp. The convention is 20amp/12gauge and 15amp/14gauge.

The cheap & easy is bring a "homerun" to closet and branch off however is easy. You may want to consider a GFI on any circuits with water pumps etc. You can have 1 GFI at first recpt. and protect rest but test it to be sure its wired correctly.

Muah12

Second the gfi, better safe then sry, there required for bathrooms and if they could say grow rooms as well they would and you should if ur DIY

Muah12

And IMHO wire for extra power (thicker gauge,bigger breaker etc..) there's nothing like not having enough after spending money to wire it up!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i think i am gonna have to put in a sub panel at my spot. its a commercial spot with about 5 different 20 amp circuits and i need to run 2 1k's and about 5 600's. i think i will be fine without as long as i distribute the amps evenly throughout the separate circuits with heavy duty extension cords.

Latest posts

Latest posts